This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Visual Studio 2010, Newest Telerik Release,

2 Answers 75 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
DTech
Top achievements
Rank 1
DTech asked on 12 Jul 2010, 06:28 PM
I had Visual Web Developer 2008 Express and just installed Visual Studio 2010 Professional. 

When I open the website in Visual Studio 2010, it will not let me edit the Rad Rotator, but when I test the site it works.

error creating panel: Unable to cast object to type 'Telerik.Web.Design.RadRotatorDesignerActionList' threw...

Click here to see the error

When I start a new website, and add the rotator, it works.  Because of this, I think it might be a temporary files issue.  I cleared all of the temporary files (that I know of) (http://blogs.telerik.com/kevinbabcock/posts/08-12-23/visual_studio_ldquo_error_creating_control_rdquo.aspx) and it still doesn't work. 

Deleted Temp files from:
C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Temp
C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WebsiteCache
C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\ProjectAssemblies
C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VWDExpress\9.0\ProjectAssemblies

Any Ideas?

2 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
DTech
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 13 Jul 2010, 09:37 PM
Added the telerik dll file to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE and it works, but this can't be the 'correct fix' because I thought Visual Studio was suppose to pull the appropriate dll (asp 2, 3, etc) from the C:\Program Files (x86)\Telerik directory.

Is this incorrect?
Fiko
Telerik team
answered on 14 Jul 2010, 09:11 AM
Hi DTech,

RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX are split in 2 assemblies - Telerik.Web.UI and Telerik.Web.Design. The second one is not necessary for the application to work, but it is required if you need to use the design time of the controls during the development. In your case you need to make sure that the Design assembly is referenced correctly and that its version is the same with the version of the Telerik.Web.UI assembly. The eases fix for design time issues is to add the Telerik.Web.Design.DLL to the application's BIN directory. In this case, the assembly will be automatically picket up by Visual Studio and you should not experience the same problem.

In addition, you can check these links:

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Fiko
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
DTech
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
DTech
Top achievements
Rank 1
Fiko
Telerik team