This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

UseEmbeddedScripts

5 Answers 235 Views
Editor
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
ewart
Top achievements
Rank 1
ewart asked on 29 Oct 2007, 12:30 AM
can i confirm at this point we must use embedded scripts for prometheus RadEditor?  (am trying to speed up my webpage which is quite slow - downloads ~1.2mb of libraries on the first hit!)

here it is running live - www.techpipeline.net (link will open in a new window)

ps my feedback on the current skins 'customisation' process is I found the documentation/process to be difficult to use (I gave up in the end trying to make the control use the 'skins' directory).  I'm sure with more persistence I would get there but it's not worth the time investment.

keep up the good work..

cheers
ewart

5 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Valeri Hristov
Telerik team
answered on 29 Oct 2007, 11:41 AM
Hello ewart,

Yes, RadControls Prometheus does not provide a way to load their scripts from external files, e.g. EnableEmbeddedScripts is always true (and actually this property is not present in Prometheus). Regarding the speed optimization, you could try the RadScriptManager (currently hidden in Telerik.Web.UI) which will combine and compress all scripts from the Telerik.Web.UI assembly. This control is currently the same as AjaxControlToolkit's ToolkitScriptManager, but will be updated in one of the next hotfixes to avoid some of the limitations of its toolkit counterpart.

<telerik:radscriptmanager runat="server" id="RadScriptManager1"></telerik:radscriptmanager>
<telerik:radeditor runat="server" id="RadEditor1"></telerik:radeditor>

If your scripts are WebResources, you could add the following assembly attribute in your application, which will force RadScriptManager to combine and compress both Telerik.Web.UI's scripts and your scripts.
[assembly: Telerik.Web.UI.ScriptCombine]

Note that this control is currently in development and you could have problems using it. Please, let me know how it goes.

Greetings,
Valeri Hristov (Senior Developer, MCSD)
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions at the new Telerik Support Center
Adam
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 08 Jan 2008, 07:38 PM
Are there any plans in the future to remove the scripts and no longer have them embedded? If so, at what point can we expect to see that?
George
Telerik team
answered on 10 Jan 2008, 12:02 PM
Hi Adam,

Currently there are no such plans. We chose to use embedded scripts because this way the deployment on the client's side is much easier and convenient.

Can you please let us know why do you need to have external scripts and how do you intend to use them? Your feedback will be appreciated.

Looking forward to hearing from you,
George
the Telerik team

Adam
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 10 Jan 2008, 02:15 PM
We have been considering a hardware load balancing setup, but it is only able to compress and cache static *.js files. Also, in our current setup, we do not believe that the output from the *.axd files can be compressed by IIS when it is sent out to the client unless the files are static.
Lini
Telerik team
answered on 10 Jan 2008, 04:24 PM
Hello Adam,

The editor scripts will be sent compressed if you have set the debug option in your web.config file to "false":

<compilation debug="false">

All the best,
Lini
the Telerik team

Tags
Editor
Asked by
ewart
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by