This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Upgrade procedure for 2008 Q2

1 Answer 83 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Tomica
Top achievements
Rank 2
Tomica asked on 11 Oct 2008, 08:41 PM
I started with the Q1 release. Today I downloaded the Q2 release and attempted to install it.

The installer indicated that I needed to uninstall the previous version first.

I did that.

The updated controls are now available in VS2008.

Questions:

1) is there an easier way to apply updates, rather than uninstall/install? Perhaps my mistake is with using the EXE version.

2) how do I update existing applications? I see that I probably have to copy a few DLL's. Tried that, but some pages don't work, with diagnostics telling that the assembly manifest does not match the assembly reference. I'm going to assume that I missed one or more steps, but I cannot seem to find documentation on this.

1 Answer, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Kevin Babcock
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 13 Oct 2008, 02:28 AM
Hello Tom,

Currently, you must uninstall the controls and then reinstall the new controls in order to upgrade to a new release. I highly recommend doing this if you used the installer to install the older version of your controls. However, you do not need to install the controls with the installer if you don't want to. Instead, you can simple download the manual installation files from your Client.net account and copy the Telerik.Web.UI.dll assembly to your project's bin folder. If you'd prefer to drag and drop your controls from Visual Studio, simply create a new tab in the Toolbox (right-click, Add Tab) and then drag the assembly onto that tab.

When upgrading a project which is already using the controls, simply copy the new assembly into your bin folder (replacing the old one). You need to then go into your web.config and look for any reference to Telerik.Web.UI and ensure that the version number matches the new assembly's version. To check and assembly version you can double-click on it in Visual Studio, open the 'Version' subfolder, and double click on the version. Alternatively, you can right-click on the assembly, select 'Properties', and check the version in the 'Details' tab.

I hope that cleared up any confusion you may have. If you continue to have questions, please let me know.

Sincerely,
Kevin Babcock
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Tomica
Top achievements
Rank 2
Answers by
Kevin Babcock
Top achievements
Rank 1