This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Unknown server tag

12 Answers 1061 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Tim Runyan
Top achievements
Rank 1
Tim Runyan asked on 02 Sep 2008, 03:27 AM
I'm using ASP.NET AJAX 2008.2.723. I am getting "unknown server tag" for every telerik control on the page (tabstrip & rotator). The controls are working in design mode, but when I build I get the server tag error. The register added to the page was

<%
@ Register Assembly="Telerik.Web.UI" Namespace="Telerik.Web.UI" TagPrefix="telerik" %>

The BIN folder contains telerik.web.ui.dll (12,422kb), telerik.web.ui.dll.refresh (1kb), and telerik.web.ui.xml(2,909kb).

If the BIN files are there, and the Register is there, what else causes the telerik server tags to be unknown?

12 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Shinu
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 02 Sep 2008, 05:45 AM
Hi Tim,

If you get an error when you run the page, there may be a problem with your referenced assembly or your web.config. Make sure that the correct Telerik.Web.UI.dll is in your  Bin directory and make any references to the Telerik.Web.UI assembly in the web.config are configured for the correct version.

Thanks
Shinu.
Tim Runyan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 04 Sep 2008, 03:07 AM
Shinu, the dll was added to my BIN directory by VS when i dragged the controls onto my form. The tooltip in the VS tool box when I hover over the tabstrip control says "Version 2008.2.723.35 from Telerik.NET Component". When I hover over RadRotator the tooltip says "RadRotator".

I have never made any manual changes to the web.config. Just installed 2008.2.723, made a master page and a few content pages, dragged the tabstrip and rotator controls onto the master page (they work fine in design mode), then tried to build. The telerik prefix is unknown.

I thought that if the Register was on my master page where the controls are used no manual changes were required to the web.config. Is that correct?

The only instance of "telerik" i see in the web.config is the following:

<

add assembly="Telerik.Charting, Version=2.0.3.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=D14F3DCC8E3E8763"/>

Daniel
Telerik team
answered on 04 Sep 2008, 07:28 AM
Hello Tim

Please try to register your controls in web.config as shown below:
<system.web> 
    <pages> 
        <controls> 
      <add tagPrefix="telerik" namespace="Telerik.Web.UI" assembly="Telerik.Web.UI"/> 

Kind regards,
Daniel
the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer, the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.
Tim Runyan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 05 Sep 2008, 02:12 AM
Thanks Daniel. I pasted that line into my web.config but still get the "unknown server tag" build errors. What else might cause the telerik prefix to be unrecognized? Is there anything special about the fact that the controls are being used on a master page?
Daniel
Telerik team
answered on 08 Sep 2008, 03:16 PM
Hello Tim,

Please try to delete the assembly references pointing to our RadControls and create them again. The needed steps are illustrated on the attached screenshots.

Regards,
Daniel
the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer, the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.
Tim Runyan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 21 Sep 2008, 09:56 PM
Daniel, VS is not displaying a references folder. So in VS I chose "Add reference" from the "Website" menu and browsed existing references. The only Telerik reference I saw was under the .NET tab and it was "Telerik.Charting" version 2.0.3.0. I did not remove this.

I followed your screen shots to add a reference to "Telerik.Web.UI.dll" from the BIN35 folder. That reference now shows on the "Recent" tab (but not on the .NET tab) as version 2008.2.723.35.

I still get the "unknown server tag" message. Did I correctly do what you were suggesting?
Nate
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 22 Sep 2008, 02:25 PM
I've tried everything suggested in this article as well and and still no success.  Any more ideas.

The weird thing is i can uninstall then resintall telerik controls and it works fine for an undetermined amount of time(a few days), then breaks again.

TIA
Daniel
Telerik team
answered on 24 Sep 2008, 12:28 PM
Hello Nate and Tim,

Could you please attach a simple working project through our support ticket system in order to examine the problem locally?

Regards,
Daniel
the Telerik team

Nate
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 24 Sep 2008, 01:19 PM
Actually, i tried adding Telerik.Charting.dll to my references and that took care of the Unknow Server tag html error.  Thanks!
Richie
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 03 Mar 2014, 02:27 PM
Hi,
Try adding any random control, and than click on the design part in order to update what you see.
This simple action made all "unknown tags" errors disappear and after that I just removed the random control and life was beautiful again:-)

I know this stupid action might sound , well.. stupid, but after searching the web, trying to understand what GAC means, and spending many hours trying to resolve that - this just helped me.

Everything I write from here is in order to hopefully help google searchers to find this solution in case they are in this situation - so you can avoid reading that.

I use visual studio 2010, asp.net 4, and I got that "unknown server tag" after upgrading radcontrols.
Many forums I found in the web directed me to find solutions related to GAC which I personaaly still don't understand.
I got those links to the rescue but with no luck. :
1. http://www.telerik.com/help/aspnet-ajax/introduction-design-time-troubleshooting.html
2. http://www.telerik.com/help/aspnet-ajax/introduction-add-to-global-assembly-cache.html

And I just hope that if this solution (which I wrote in the begining) helped one person some where in the world - I will be glad!!! :-)
unknown server tag unknown server tag unknown server tag unknown server tag 
unknown server tag unknown server tag unknown server tag unknown server tag

Hristo Valyavicharski
Telerik team
answered on 03 Mar 2014, 03:56 PM
Hi Richie,

Make sure that you have added a reference to Telerik.Web.UI.dll to your project and add a register page directive:

<%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="Default.aspx.cs" Inherits="Default" %>
<%@ Register Assembly="Telerik.Web.UI" Namespace="Telerik.Web.UI" TagPrefix="telerik" %>

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

<head runat="server">
    <title></title>
    <telerik:RadStyleSheetManager ID="RadStyleSheetManager1" runat="server" />
</head>
<body>

or add a controls section in your web.config:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<configuration>
    <appSettings>
        <add key="Telerik.ScriptManager.TelerikCdn" value="Disabled" />
        <add key="Telerik.StyleSheetManager.TelerikCdn" value="Disabled" />
    </appSettings>
    <system.web>
        <compilation debug="false" targetFramework="4.5" />
        <httpRuntime targetFramework="4.5" />
        <pages>
            <controls>
                <add tagPrefix="telerik" namespace="Telerik.Web.UI" assembly="Telerik.Web.UI" />
            </controls>
        </pages>
        <httpHandlers>

Regards,
Hristo Valyavicharski
Telerik
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the UI for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to the blog feed now.
Richie
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 03 Mar 2014, 04:04 PM
Hi,
Thank you very much but I currently don't have the problem.
In any case - when I had the problem - I took care of both things you mentioned:
dll files were updated
web.config was updated as well
and it didn't solve the problem.
The simple action of adding and removing a control was magically what solved the problem for me :-)

Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Tim Runyan
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Shinu
Top achievements
Rank 2
Tim Runyan
Top achievements