TreeView Not Rendering Completely On Live Server

3 posts, 0 answers
  1. Terry
    Terry avatar
    5 posts
    Member since:
    Jun 2009

    Posted 19 Oct 2009 Link to this post

    Several years ago we built an application that utilizes the RadTreeView control.  The application worked fine upon deployment to the web server. Recently, the customer who owns the application switched hosting companies. Since the switch, the page that uses the RadTreeView control will not render completely on the new company's web server.

    The symptoms of the problem are that the page begins to load, then will hang indefinitely. All other pages on the site work properly. Viewing the source, one can see that the page rendering seems to stop mid-line before the entire tree view markup is sent to the browser.  The problem can be seen on this test page: Tree View Rendering Problem Example

    The markup for the test page has been made very simple. There is no code-behind being utilized:

    <%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeBehind="RenderTest.aspx.cs" Inherits="Virtuoso.RenderTest" Theme="Admin"%> 
     
    <%@ Register Assembly="RadTreeView.Net2" Namespace="Telerik.WebControls" TagPrefix="rad" %> 
     
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> 
     
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" > 
    <head id="Head1" runat="server">  
        <title>Untitled Page </title> 
    </head> 
    <body> 
        <form id="form1" runat="server">  
          
    <rad:RadTreeView ID="rtvMenu" runat="server" DragAndDrop="true" MultipleSelect="false" 
                    DataSourceID="SiteMapDataSource1" EnableViewState="true" AutoPostBack="true" 
                    DataTextField="Title" DataFieldID="SiteMapMenuID" DataFieldParentID="Parent" 
                    Skin="Web20" > 
                                    </rad:RadTreeView> 
    <asp:SiteMapDataSource ID="SiteMapDataSource1" runat="server" SiteMapProvider="SqlSiteMapProvider" /> 
     
    </form> 
    </body> 
    </html> 

    I have done some experimentation and determined that the TreeView will render completely if it is not bound to the SiteMapDataSource.

    Obviously, since the test code works fine in our development environment, on our test server and worked fine for over a year at the previous hosting company's server, it appears to be an issue with the server of the new host provider.  However, as a developer I will be expected to contact the hosting company and explain to them what needs to be done to fix the problem. From my previous dealings with this hosting company, I am skeptical they have the knowledge to fix the issue without me telling them exactly the steps to take. However, I am at a loss as to what could cause this issue.

    I would appreciate any insight into how this could be resolved.  Thanks!

  2. T. Tsonev
    Admin
    T. Tsonev avatar
    2834 posts

    Posted 23 Oct 2009 Link to this post

    Hello Terry,

    This is a very strange issue indeed. The response is getting truncated at the middle of the page. You should ask the hosting provider if they can see anything unusual in their event logs.

    Some other things that you can try:

    Turning page buffering on/off:
    <%@ Page Buffer = "true" %>
    <%@ Page Buffer = "false" %>

    Enable the output cache:
    <%@ OutputCache Duration="30" VaryByParam="none" %> 

    Let us know if any of these make any difference.

    Best wishes,
    Tsvetomir Tsonev
    the Telerik team

    Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
    Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
  3. Terry
    Terry avatar
    5 posts
    Member since:
    Jun 2009

    Posted 23 Oct 2009 Link to this post

    Thank you for the response!

    I tried your suggestions, and they made no difference in the way the page fails to render properly.

    I will be asking the hosting company to review their event logs to see if anything unusual jumps out at them. To make matters worse, the page renders correctly when they test it.  I am suspecting that it has something to do with the fact that they are sitting 20 feet from their servers, and aren't having to access the site externally from their environment.

    Please let me know if you happen to think of anything else that might help. Thanks!
    T
Back to Top