This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Toolbox in VS2008

13 Answers 444 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Steve Newbery
Top achievements
Rank 1
Steve Newbery asked on 18 Apr 2008, 08:20 AM
Using the new Q1 2008 release of radControls for ASP.NET AJAX, I've installed the "standard" version of the Telerik.Web.UI.dll in the toolbox, and it's fine.

But I'd like to try the ASP.NET 3.5 version of radControls, especially radGrid, and the question is do I need to uninstall the toolbox items in VS2008, and reinstall using the dll in the Bin35 directory?

Thanks for any help, Steve

13 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Steve
Telerik team
answered on 18 Apr 2008, 08:46 AM
Hi Steve,

By default the new RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX installer adds only the assemblies compiled against v.3.5 of the framework to the VS2008 toolbox. This is the case if you are using the .exe installer - if you have downloaded the .zip package and manually added the 2.0 version of the assembly, then you should proceed in the same manner with adding the 3.5 version. You do not need to uninstall the 2.0 controls as they will be visible only to projects/sites for the 2.0 version and the 3.5 version will be visible only for project sites using v.3.5 of the framework.

Sincerely yours,
Steve
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions at the new Telerik Support Center
Steve Newbery
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 18 Apr 2008, 01:29 PM
Steve,

Thanks for the quick reply. I used the .exe installer, but in VS2008 the toolbox was not populated automatically - I had to do that myself via Add Toolbox Items.

Maybe the installation was not done because I also have VS2005 installed? I had a look and the toolbox there *was* populated. Perhaps there is an issue with the installer when multiple versions of VS are present?

Regards, Steve II
Konstantin Petkov
Telerik team
answered on 18 Apr 2008, 01:35 PM
Hi Steve,

We have tested the installer on machines with both the VS 2005 as well as VS 2008 installed, but did not notice any problems. We will look into this once again and perform additional testing in order to reproduce and isolate the problem.

Meanwhile, please add the controls manually. And let us know if you need further assistance.

Kind regards,
Konstantin Petkov
the Telerik team

DukeVideo
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 21 Apr 2008, 10:28 AM
I had a similar problem.

I installed the controls on a VS2005/08 machine, and also did not get any toolbox items. It's probably Visual Studio, but the project must reference the correct version of SystemWeb.Extensions for the toolbox to be available.

Unfortunately, because I tried repeatedly to installt he items, I have 3 toolbox panels for the controls, but at least their readily available!
Nick
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 04 May 2008, 12:19 PM
Well my toolbox keeps disappearing (3.5 in 2008) and it's really starting to get annoying.

Actually it's become unusable.  I created a new 'Telerik Q1 2008' tab  - when I hit 'add tools' the Telerik controls are already checked.   I hit ok.  Nothing appears.  I have an empty tab and I can't get anything to show up (I"m configuring this using a empty new 3.5 web app).
Konstantin Petkov
Telerik team
answered on 05 May 2008, 06:03 AM
Hello Nicholas,

The Toolbox items often appear a bit later when you add them in VS 2008. Do they appear later in you case?

You can also try the toolbox installer script (Toolbox installer .exe script) which is added for this purpose. I hope this helps!

Greetings,
Konstantin Petkov
the Telerik team

Steve LaForge
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 18 Aug 2008, 06:21 PM
Has anyone come up with a fix for this issue?  I too have VS2005 & VS2008 installed.  I have tried all of the steps that I can find on Telerik's site to install the toolbox but none of them work.

Thanks!
Steve
Konstantin Petkov
Telerik team
answered on 19 Aug 2008, 05:56 AM
Hello Steve,

Have you tried the SP1 of VS 2008 and .Net 3.5 released a week ago? There are numerous fixes there including some which might be related to this problem. We highly recommend upgrading in order to get some other problems with third-party controls fixed as well.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Konstantin Petkov
the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer, the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.
Nick
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 23 Aug 2008, 02:45 AM
I'm on all the latest everything (Telerik, 3.5 SP1, VS2008 SP1) and my toolbox was working fine for the last week.

And now it's gone.

It's starting to get BEYOND annoying.  I will assume the problem is VS Studio as I doubt Telerik has control of how the controls appear/disappear - please apply some pressure on this - M$ seems to like you guys.

It is unbelievable to me that this is STILL happening after all this time.  How much more freaking basic can you get.  They have plenty of time to add useless features (I am unimpressed with linq), but we still have an unstable toolbox.

Thanks,
Nick H
Nick
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 23 Aug 2008, 02:47 AM
My toolbox is gone.  Again.  This will be my third uninstall/reinstall and it's getting really old.

I see ToolBoxInstaller.exe however it needs parameters - I don't see a script ready to go.  Can you please point us or provide a complete answer on how to use it?
Nick
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 24 Aug 2008, 01:50 PM
Ok found a thread on the toolboxinstaller..lol..target was confusing.  Beats reinstalling Telerik.
Cyrus
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 12 Jan 2009, 04:38 PM
Can somone please docuemnt hwo this is fixed?  Or provide a link?  I have this problem as well.
Pavel
Telerik team
answered on 13 Jan 2009, 11:50 AM
Hi Cyrus,

Have you tried adding the controls manually to the toolbox as explained here? Another option is to use the "Register RadControls for ASPNET AJAX Q3 2008 items in the Visual Studio toolbox " shortcut which should be added during installation to the Telerik start menu. I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Pavel
the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer, the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Steve Newbery
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Steve
Telerik team
Steve Newbery
Top achievements
Rank 1