This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

SERIOUS problem after updating to 2021.1.119.45

14 Answers 636 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Rob A.
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Veteran
Rob A. asked on 20 Jan 2021, 07:08 PM

All windows based on RadWindow in VS 2019 IDE designer now render on a Transparent background???  If I use the standard MS Window the background is as expected (not transparent).

Using XAML assemblies.

I need to get this resolved ASAP.

Cheers, Rob.

14 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Rob A.
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Veteran
answered on 21 Jan 2021, 12:04 AM

UPDATE: 

Actually none of the Telerik controls are being correctly rendered in VS 2019 IDE.  When I run my app in VS, the controls render correctly ... but in the IDE they all seem to fallback to default MS controls.

This is REALLY annoying and a show stopper (all I did was hit the Update button from Telerik prompt).  I've researched threads on this problem (apparently is happened to other users of Telerik products) and none of the "try this" options worked including deleting my Bin and Obj folders and clean rebuild in the solution.

All my references are correct (see image).

Rob

Rob A.
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Veteran
answered on 21 Jan 2021, 12:18 AM

UPDATE 2:

More tasks I tried that did NOT resolve is problem:

1.  Verified the project referenced Telerik*.DLLs were the correct XAML binaries

2.  Reset Toolbox in VS IDE

Really stuck here, help needed.

Rob.

Rob A.
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Veteran
answered on 21 Jan 2021, 01:13 AM

UPDATE 3:

Looks like I have duplicate telerik controls being listed in a single Toolbox group:

Resetting the toolbox has no impact.  So far I've wasted an entire day trying to resolve this without any success, beyond frustrated and moving into angry.

Rob.

Rob A.
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Veteran
answered on 21 Jan 2021, 01:22 AM

UPDATE 4: 

I followed this post here as these users were having the exact same problem I'm having now.

Unfortunately none of the recommendations solved my issue.

Rob.

Ralitsa
Telerik team
answered on 21 Jan 2021, 11:20 AM

Hi Robin,

Firstly, I can recommend you to reset the Visual Studio`s toolbox following the guidelines below: 

1. Clear Visual Studio Designer`s cache (Delete all subfolders under ShadowCache folder: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\[Version]\Designer\ShadowCache). The steps are described in our article Resolving Design Time Errors.
  2. Launch the Visual Studio 2019 as administrator. 
  3. Navigate to Extensions => Telerik => Telerik UI for WPF => Launch Toolbox Configurator => Choose the desired version and click Finish button.

It will take a few moments until the toolbox is reset and populate with the correct version of the controls. After that try to drag and drop again the desired controls. 

I also noticed that referenced binaries are copied in your solution. You can also disable this option easily and reference the assemblies from the installation folder. It can easily change through Visual Studio: Navigate to Extensions => Telerik => VSExtensions Options => In the dialog set the option 'Copy referenced assemblies to the solution and integrate with source control' to False (see the attached image). 

If the issue still is observed on your computer, please make sure that you are not building the x64 project because this is a known issue in XAML designer and might cause similar troubles too. Basically, the designer is dealing with actual types and assemblies and this combined with the fact that Visual Studio is a 32-bit process some of those types cannot be activated from ARM and x64 binaries. To work this around switch to x86 while using the XAML designer.

According to the duplicated controls in the toolbox, the problem was introduced by Microsoft in Visual Studio 2019. More information about it can be found here: Visual Studio 2019 .NET Framework WPF controls are showing multiple times

I hope this helps you. If any further concerns arise, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,
Ralitsa
Progress Telerik

Virtual Classroom, the free self-paced technical training that gets you up to speed with Telerik and Kendo UI products quickly just got a fresh new look + new and improved content including a brand new Blazor course! Check it out at https://learn.telerik.com/.

Rob A.
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Veteran
answered on 21 Jan 2021, 05:46 PM

Hi Ralitsa,

Wow ... thank you for the response.  It seems the real issue was my Target of x64, if I switch back to x86, then Telerik Controls do render in the VS 2019 IDE.  HOWEVER, prior to updating to 2021.1.119.45 I was able to operate in x64 target mode with the VS IDE without a problem, ONLY after I updated to Telerik 2021.1.119.45 did I have this issue?

This is going to be a very "painful" process (read slowing down my productivity) to continue like this and I don't understand why I have to proceed like this when it used to work with x64 target?

I have two other dependency DLLs that I use in my project that are 64bit only, so I would be forced to keep switching from x86 to x64 every single time I run my application where I work with UI changes under VS ... to be frank, this is crazy?!  I saw the post from 2012 and apparently has NOT been addressed?    Surely Microsoft must have addressed this by now, it's 2021??

Cheers, Rob.

Ralitsa
Telerik team
answered on 25 Jan 2021, 09:35 AM

Hello Robin, 

Telerik assemblies are build using the Any CPU configuration, so I can suggest you switching to Any CPU configuration. This would allow the component to run within a 32-bit process (such as Visual Studio), or in a 64-bit process too. 

Unfortunately, the issue still has no solution. This is the latest report which I found in Microsoft Developer Community`s feedback portal: https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/72219/vs2017-wpf-designer-throws-exception-on-usercontro.html

If you have any additional questions, please let me know. 

Regards,
Ralitsa
Progress Telerik

Virtual Classroom, the free self-paced technical training that gets you up to speed with Telerik and Kendo UI products quickly just got a fresh new look + new and improved content including a brand new Blazor course! Check it out at https://learn.telerik.com/.

Rob A.
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Veteran
answered on 25 Jan 2021, 06:07 PM

Hi Ralista,

That link was for VS 2017, I'm using VS 2019, but VS 2019 is also 32bit native.

The DLLs that I reference in my protect are 64bit ... using AnyCPU my project will compile, but as soon as I run my project my application will crash when it tries to load a 64bit DLL.  One of my DLLs is part of the DRM process I use and involves lots of integrity checking and very specific to 64bit. 

BUT, (really important) how was I able to work in x64 prior to updating to Telerik 2021.1.119.45?  It's ONLY after updating to Telerik 2021.1.119.45 did I start to have this problem?

Cheers, Rob.

Rob A.
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Veteran
answered on 25 Jan 2021, 06:14 PM

This article from MS regarding x86 for VS 2019 x64?

The wording is somewhat misleading as they say "designers will take advantage of 64-bit processors".  You'd think Microsoft would attempt to dupe software engineers?

But my statement still stands, why was this working in prior build of Telerik in a x64 target?  

Cheers, Rob.

Martin Ivanov
Telerik team
answered on 28 Jan 2021, 01:22 PM

Hello Robin,

Martin here. Thank you for the article. I've checked the MS statement, but to me it is somehow vague and I cannot tell what it means. 

My experience shows that the designer can behave differently in some situations based on the Visual Studio version and the version of the referenced dlls. During the last few years I've hit the x64 issue few times and on my side the issue manifested differently. For example, I wasn't able to see the styling of the controls. In another case I could see only some elements from the UI. Or the controls were missing at all. I cannot recall the exact VS and Telerik versions I've used back then, but I can tell that there were different combinations between VS and Telerik versions. This said, can you double check if the previous version of the Telerik dlls was working with your current version of Visual Studio and 64-bit configuration? If you can re-create the working controls in a 64-bit configuration with a previous version of Telerik dlls, it would be very useful to send over an isolated project along with the Visual Studio version and the previous Telerik version. This will allow me to test it locally and investigate if this is related to the Telerik implementation.

Regards,
Martin Ivanov
Progress Telerik

Rob A.
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Veteran
answered on 29 Jan 2021, 08:27 PM

Hi Martin,

I'll have to get back to you on this once I come up for air (aka after product release).  I'm a one person development team so I have to manage ALL aspects of my company where my typical day starts at 8am and run thru til 11pm.

I did open a ticket with MS but to be honest I doubt I'll get any response.

Cheers, Rob.

Martin Ivanov
Telerik team
answered on 01 Feb 2021, 01:44 PM

Hi Rob,

Come back whenever you have the time. I wish you luck with the product release. And hopefully MS will provide an answer.

Regards,
Martin Ivanov
Progress Telerik

Rob A.
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Veteran
answered on 02 Feb 2021, 07:53 PM

Apparently Microsoft have added a new feature for XML designer to support x64 but it's ONLY available in preview builds of the latest VS.

Thread here.

Cheers, Rob.

Martin Ivanov
Telerik team
answered on 03 Feb 2021, 12:24 PM

Hello Rob,

Thank you for sharing this information. Can you share also the results with your application if you decide to test the design feature in the Preview version?

Regards,
Martin Ivanov
Progress Telerik

Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Rob A.
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Veteran
Answers by
Rob A.
Top achievements