This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Section 508 issue with telerik RadMenu ( iframe issue)

16 Answers 245 Views
Menu
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Burepalli V S Rao
Top achievements
Rank 1
Burepalli V S Rao asked on 08 Mar 2011, 08:07 AM
hi,
    we are using RadMenu in one of our application.but one of our client (government agency-US client) he tested our application using WAT tool for testing the section 508 (version:2008-01-30). in this tool he reported the frames issue, if i check that option then it is showing the below message

Frame Information

• IFRAME-1
    • Name not specified
    • Longdesc not specified
    • Title not specified
    • Src="javascript:'';"
  • IFRAME-2
    • Name not specified
    • Longdesc not specified
    • Title not specified
  • IFRAME-3
    • Name not specified
    • Longdesc not specified
    • Title not specified

NOFRAMES

No "NOFRAMES" Element Found!;

in order to trace this issue i gone through the view source of this particular page but i did not find those iframes in my view source. after a lot of struggle i came to know that they are coming for RadMenu (from my code i removed entire RadMenu after that i checked, then i observed the above issue does not reported, so i concluded that the above issue is because of Radmenu)

along with the above one he had reported one more issue with respect to tables if i click on the tables option in the WAT tool then i am getting the following message (no th element found) which i am adding an attachment.
so, how can we fix it.
Thanks,
Burepalli V S Rao.

16 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Dimitar Terziev
Telerik team
answered on 11 Mar 2011, 10:32 AM
Hello BVS Rao,

In order to cope with this issue, try setting the EnableOverlay property of the RadMenu to false. This property set to true is used for IE6 compatibility, so if a user is viewing the site under IE6, there might be some overlay problems.

Also you could check this demo here, giving more information about this property.

Regards,
Dimitar Terziev
the Telerik team
Registration for Q1 2011 What’s New Webinar Week is now open. Mark your calendar for the week starting March 21st and book your seat for a walk through all the exciting stuff we ship with the new release!
Burepalli V S Rao
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 14 Mar 2011, 07:03 AM
thanks,
above solution is working fine.
but for the RadEditor also i am experiencing the same king of problem.

Frame Information

• IFRAME-1
    • Name not specified
    • Longdesc not specified
    • Title not specified
    • Src="http://localhost/default.aspx"

NOFRAMES

please let me know is there any workaround for this.
Thanks,
Burepalli V S Rao.
Rumen
Telerik team
answered on 16 Mar 2011, 02:11 PM
Hi BVS Rao,

Please, make sure that you use the latest Q1 2011 version of RadEditor, which is "Level A" and Section 508 accessible. You can see the following live demo for more information: Accessible UI.

Best regards,
Rumen
the Telerik team
Registration for Q1 2011 What’s New Webinar Week is now open. Mark your calendar for the week starting March 21st and book your seat for a walk through all the exciting stuff we ship with the new release!
Burepalli V S Rao
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 22 Mar 2011, 06:55 AM
Regarding RadMenu overlapping issue

when you disable the CSS using WAT Tool for checking the Section 508,
if the situation is like this
menuItem1-->this internally contains some other menuitems then if you disable the CSS then these submenuitems are getting overlapped with menuitem2,menuitem3...etc
menuitem2
menuitem3

so, is there any workaround for this.
Thanks,
Burepalli V S Rao.
Burepalli V S Rao
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 26 Mar 2011, 12:09 PM
Hi,
i am using latest Q1 2011 version of RadEditor still i am getting the section 508 issue which shown as follows

IFRAME-1
                Name not specified
                Longdesc not specified
                Title not specified
                Src="http://localhost/default.aspx"

still it  is there in latest Q1 2011 RadEditor && AccessibleRadEditor. so , is there any workaround for this.

Thanks,
Burepalli V S Rao.
Dimitar Terziev
Telerik team
answered on 28 Mar 2011, 08:16 AM
Hello BVS Rao,

In general when our CSS styles are removed, there are some certain disturbances with the overview of the RadMenu. I'm not quite sure why do you need to remove the CSS style on first place? Are they causing any problems, when WAT Tool is used for 508 Section accessibility? 

As to the Accessible RadEditor:  You can see in the following video http://screencast.com/t/e7ktBnZLO that the Accessible RadEditor has an ID, TITLE and SRC attributes. Nevertheless, if you need to apply a longdesc and name attributes to RadEditor iframe you can use the following code:

<telerik:AccessibleRadEditor OnClientLoad="OnClientLoad" ID="RadEditor1" runat="server"></telerik:AccessibleRadEditor>
<script type="text/javascript">
    function OnClientLoad(editor) {
        var iframe = editor.get_contentAreaElement();
        iframe.setAttribute("name", iframe.title);
        iframe.setAttribute("longdesc", iframe.title);
    }
</script>

Greetings,
Dimitar Terziev
the Telerik team
Burepalli V S Rao
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 29 Mar 2011, 05:34 AM
with your javascript also it is not working what i mean is my frames issue is not resolved. still i am getting the same kind of error.
this is the sample application

<%

@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeBehind="Default.aspx.cs" Inherits="DateTimeTest._Default" %>

<%

@ Register assembly="Telerik.Web.UI" namespace="Telerik.Web.UI" tagprefix="telerik" %>

<!

DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

<

html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" >

<

head runat="server">

<title>DateTimeTest Page</title>

<script type="text/javascript" language="javascript">

iframe.setAttribute(

"name", iframe.title);

iframe.setAttribute(

"longdesc", iframe.title);

}

</script>

</

head>

<

body>

<form id="form1" runat="server">

<div>

<asp:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1" runat="server">

</asp:ScriptManager>

<br />

<telerik:AccessibleRadEditor ID="AccessibleRadEditor1" runat="server" OnClientLoad="OnClientLoad">

</telerik:AccessibleRadEditor>

</div>

</form>

</

body>

</

html>

code behind is empty page load

the error i getting from the WAT TOOL when i am checking with frames is as follows

Frame Information

• IFRAME-1
    • Name not specified
    • Longdesc not specified
    • Title="Rich text editor with ID AccessibleRadEditor1"
    • Src="http://bvsrao:82/dt/"

NOFRAMES

Rumen
Telerik team
answered on 29 Mar 2011, 02:53 PM
Hi BVS Rao,

I tested the Accessible UI demo of RadEditor with WAT toolbar add-on and the tool did not find any issues, e.g.

http://screencast.com/t/Pd275OJfHL

Could you please record your screen and show the steps that you perform to validate the page with RadEditor using the provided tool?

You should also note that RadEditor is checket with Wave and HiSoftware Compliance Sheriff automated content compliance tool and both tools did not find any section 508 problems.

Best regards,
Rumen
the Telerik team
Burepalli V S Rao
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 29 Mar 2011, 04:17 PM
steps to replicate my issue

1) copy the above code some sample application and run it.

2) in that browser you must install the WAT tool bar

3)in that tool bar you will have Frames option just on clicking you will see the following four options
    -navigate to framed documents
    -Traverse Frames
    -Frame borders
    -Frame Name / Title
4) in the above four options you just click on the last option (Frame Name / Title ) you will get the following thing

Frame Information

• IFRAME-1
    • Name not specified
    • Longdesc not specified
    • Title="Rich text editor with ID AccessibleRadEditor1"
    • Src="http://bvsrao:82/dt/"

NOFRAMES

thats my problem, thats it.

so, after looking at the above one my client is asking me why i am getting this one. so, this will create problem for blind users.

now my question is for that radeditor or accessibleradeditor cant you set the above mentioned properties and noframe tag.
 i tried with your javascript whatever you send but still i am getting the above message.

Thanks,
Burepalli V S Rao.

Rumen
Telerik team
answered on 30 Mar 2011, 01:32 PM
Hi,

The following code works fine on my end and applies name and longdesc attributes to RadEditor's iframe:

<telerik:AccessibleRadEditor ID="RadEditor1" OnClientLoad="OnClientLoad" runat="server"></telerik:AccessibleRadEditor>
    <script type="text/javascript">
        iframe.setAttribute("name", iframe.title);
        iframe.setAttribute("longdesc", iframe.title);
    }
</script>

You can see my test in the following video:
http://screencast.com/t/o8DT9BH43g

I talked with our lead RadEditor developer about the NOFRAMES issue. He explained that you should not worry about that WAT tool warns about No "NOFRAMES" Element Found!; because the innerHTML property of the RadEditor's iframe returns the following text which notifies the screen readers:
"Your browser does not support inline frames or is currently configured not to display inline frames."

See this screenshots for more information:
http://screencast.com/t/1CzsJrV54B5
http://screencast.com/t/7y8pPKExGsCv

Best regards,
Rumen
the Telerik team
Burepalli V S Rao
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 31 Mar 2011, 06:40 AM
ok,
why that piece of code is not working on my end, atleast you just tell me what is the  mistake i made in the above piece of code.(the above is not big one to understand, just drag the radeditor or accesible radeditor to vs2008 add your javascript and run it, test it.)

so, according to your comments if it is working in your end means it must work in my end also but that is not happining where is the mistake taking place i want to know.

i tested this code in win7/windows server 2003 with the browsers (ie7 and ie8)

Thanks,
Burepalli V S Rao.
Rumen
Telerik team
answered on 01 Apr 2011, 01:03 PM
Hello BVS Rao,

This is a standard code and your server and Visual Studio configuration is also standard. You should make sure that your browser cache is cleared and that JavaScript OnClientLoad function is imported on the page with RadEditor. You should also add an alert in the function and see whether it is executed.
You should debug the JavaScript code and see why it is not executed. The OnClientLoad property should be also set in the RadEditor's declaration.

If you unable to fix the problem, isolate it in a sample working project and send it by opening a support ticket.

All the best,
Rumen
the Telerik team
Burepalli V S Rao
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 06 Apr 2011, 08:06 AM
hi,
i have done the above things, but from my end still issue is there. i am unable to attach my sample project as a zip file. hence i am posting my aspx page code and corresponding code behind file. please look into it.

<%

@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="Default.aspx.cs" Inherits="_Default"%>

<%

@ Register Assembly="Telerik.Web.UI" Namespace="Telerik.Web.UI" TagPrefix="telerik" %> 

<!

DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

<

html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">  

<

head runat="server">

<title>Test Me</title>

</

head>

<

script type="text/javascript">

alert(

'called me');

alert(

'iframe object:'+iframe);

iframe.setAttribute(

"name", iframe.title);

iframe.setAttribute(

"longdesc", iframe.title); 

alert(

'end of onclientload');

}

</

script>

<

body>

<form id="form1" runat="server">

<asp:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1" runat="server">

</asp:ScriptManager>

<table>

<tr 

<td>

<telerik:RadEditor ID="RadEditor1" runat="server" OnClientLoad="OnClientLoad">

</telerik:RadEditor>

</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td>

<telerik:AccessibleRadEditor ID="AccessibleRadEditor1" runat="server" OnClientLoad="OnClientLoad">

</telerik:AccessibleRadEditor>

</td>

</tr 

</table 

</form>

</

body  

</

html>

and this is the code behind file

using

System; 

using

System.Configuration;

using

System.Data;

using

System.Linq;

using

System.Web;

using

System.Web.Security;

using

System.Web.UI;

using

System.Web.UI.HtmlControls;

using

System.Web.UI.WebControls;

using

System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebParts;

using

System.Xml.Linq;

public

partial class _Default : System.Web.UI.Page

{

protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)

{} 

}

and i am attaching issues screen shots also.
Thanks,
Burepalli V S Rao.

Rumen
Telerik team
answered on 08 Apr 2011, 02:43 PM
Hi BVS Rao,

I am not sure why the JavaScript code is not executed on your end, and I already suggested to debug the code and see what happens. If you unable to fix the problem with the longdesc and name attributes, please provide a live URL or a sample working project that demonstrates the problem.

I also explained that RadEditor does not generate a NoFrame tag, because the innerHTML property of the RadEditor's IFRAME notifies the screen readers with the following text:
"Your browser does not support inline frames or is currently configured not to display inline frames."

As to the table and td elements: These elements are used for layout purposes only but not used to display content. For this reason it is not needed to apply additional attributes to them which will increase the generated HTML content when the control is rendered on the page.

Best regards,
Rumen
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Burepalli V S Rao
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Apr 2011, 07:38 AM
i debugged the javascript all the alerts are coming properly but the still the frames issue is there.

ok, you just forget about the sample project and my code. you are feeling that i am making some mistake but what ever i am doing that is correct only.

i will show one more proof on your demo site as follows
http://demos.telerik.com/aspnet-ajax/editor/examples/default/defaultcs.aspx
in this site i checked here also the issues were there.
 all these issues i am attaching as bmp files.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=329291

http://forums.asp.net/t/1131903.aspx

Getting a "System.ComponentModel.Win32Expcetion: Access...

Rumen
Telerik team
answered on 13 Apr 2011, 03:21 PM
Hi Burepalli V S Rao,

I am afraid that we could not change the table layout structure of RadEditor's interface, because it is used for layout purposes only. The table element of the RadEditor's layout is not used for editing and content displaying purposes, which means that the information returned by Web Accessibility Tool WAT is false positive.

As I already note, Telerik offers an especially developed version of RadEditor for blind or visually impaired
people, named AccessibleEditor which is validated not only by lead Accessibility and Section 508 validation tools but also by real blind people.

My suggestion is to test other web DHTML editors and if some of them fully pass the validation of WAT to send urls to their demos so that we can evaluate them.

Kind regards,
Rumen
the Telerik team

Browse the vast support resources we have to jump start your development with RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX. See how to integrate our AJAX controls seamlessly in SharePoint 2007/2010 visiting our common SharePoint portal.

Tags
Menu
Asked by
Burepalli V S Rao
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Dimitar Terziev
Telerik team
Burepalli V S Rao
Top achievements
Rank 1