This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Running multiple versions of ASP.NET Ajax in VS2010

1 Answer 90 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Dana Cobb
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
Dana Cobb asked on 26 Apr 2012, 12:33 AM
I have RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX Q1 2010 installed so I can develop my .Net 2.0 projects/websites. Due to IE 9.0 incompatibilities with that version... I need to upgrade only "some" of my projects to a version that suports IE9.0. I have chosen the most recent version... RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX Q1 2012 SP1.    
I installed that version too. Not upgraded. I have two versions on the Win7 PC.
Is there way to be able to have two sets of Rad controls in the toolbox simultaeneosly? I will need to frequently switch between 2.0 and 4.0 projects in VS 2010. In the unfortunate case that I cannot have that... how would I switch what version of the Rad Controls is in the toolbox depending on the .Net Framework version that I am working on?

thanks in advance,
dana

1 Answer, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Marin Bratanov
Telerik team
answered on 27 Apr 2012, 12:27 PM
Hello Dana,

Generally the contents of the toolbox are related to the .NET version of the project you have loaded. Creating a website targetting .NET 2.0 will populate toolbox items for .NET 2.0 which should be the Q3 2010 SP2 installation, since later version of the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX do not have .NET 2.0 assemblies.

If you have installed the latest version opening a .NET 3.5 or .NET 4.0 site will have the Q2 2012 SP1 RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX populated in the toolbox. When you open a .NET 2.0 website if you do not see the old version of the RadControls you can open the toolbox, right click on it, click on Choose Items and from .NET components Browse to the .NET 2.0 Telerik.Web.UI assembly so that it is added to the toolbox.

I just tested this scenario with the version I mentioned above and things are working as expected. Just make sure the Target Framework of th site is set to .NET 2.0 in the Property Pages -> Build tab of the site.

What I would advise to facilitate this switch is that you close VisualStudio to allow it to unload the assemblies from the previous site before opening the next.

The best approach would be to upgrade all projects to the recent version of the RadControls to benefit from the fixes and features that are incorporated in them for the past year.

All the best,
Marin
the Telerik team
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now.
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Dana Cobb
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
Answers by
Marin Bratanov
Telerik team
Share this question
or