This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

"Requested registry access is not allowed"?

1 Answer 455 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Rob Ainscough
Top achievements
Rank 1
Rob Ainscough asked on 01 Mar 2019, 05:46 PM

When I upgrade an existing project to a newer version the Upgrade Wizard Log shows success but I get this error:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1l1KqfmqRnsCgWJ5O5LeBDCH_fpjDoiRr

Also if I bring up the Launch Toolbox Configurator and then click "Finish" button, I get the same error.

I do NOT run VS 2015 "As Admin" for many reason I don't want to get into, so please don't suggest that ;)  

Cheers, Rob.

1 Answer, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Rumen
Telerik team
answered on 04 Mar 2019, 11:26 AM
Hi Rob,

If the approach to run Visual Studio as an administrator (you know this is widely advised across the development forums) is not an option for you, then you can upgrade the Telerik.Web.UI.dll manually.

There is a very detailed article of how to perform a manual upgrade:

You simply need to replace the assembly references with the new ones. Here is a list of steps that ensures a safe upgrade:
  1. Backup your project (a simple copy to another folder is usually enough, and using a source control system makes this redundant).

2. Delete the old Telerik.Web.UI.* references from the project and close it. This includes the Skins and Design assemblies.

3. Open the Bin folder of your project in Windows Explorer and delete the old Telerik.Web.UI.* assemblies.

4. Copy the new assemblies from the new installation's Bin40 folder (for .NET 4.0; for .NET 3.5 you need Bin35; for .NET 4.5 you need Bin45). If you are using a hotfix, go to the folder where you unzipped it.

5. Paste the new assemblies in the Bin folder of your project in Windows Explorer.

6. Add references to the Telerik assemblies in the project in Visual Studio.

7. Make sure you have all the necessary web.config registrations

As with any ASP.NET Project, it is often helpful to clear the ASP Temporary files and the browser (see the Clean up after Visual Studio blog post).

Best regards,
Rumen
Progress Telerik
Get quickly onboarded and successful with your Telerik and/or Kendo UI products with the Virtual Classroom free technical training, available to all active customers. Learn More.
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Rob Ainscough
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Rumen
Telerik team
Share this question
or