This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Reporting trial and VS2013 express for web?

9 Answers 79 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Sparky
Top achievements
Rank 1
Sparky asked on 24 Feb 2015, 11:04 AM
Hi,

I am trying to installl Reporting Q3 2014 Trial. I have VS2013 Express for WEB installed. In the reporting installer all the "Visual studio xxxx support" checks are inactive. I can only select "Local Demos" and nothing more. 

Is there any way to install VS2013 support on VS2013 Express for WEB? If not, how can I add an "Object Data Source" to the new report I am creating in the report designer?

Thanks.

9 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Stef
Telerik team
answered on 24 Feb 2015, 11:27 AM
Hi Spartak,

Telerik Reporting VS Report Designer is not supported in Visual Studio Express editions - system requirements. Instead you can use Visual Studio 2013 Community Edition and reinstall the product.

You can also work with the Standalone Designer tool which provides the same functionality as the VS Report Designer. Reports will be saved in XML format (TRDX files), which can be deserialized in code in order to work with the Telerik.Reporting.Report instance.

I hope the provided information is helpful.

Regards,
Stef
Telerik

Check out the Telerik Platform - the only platform that combines a rich set of UI tools with powerful cloud services to develop web, hybrid and native mobile apps.

Sparky
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 24 Feb 2015, 11:50 AM
Thank you for the fast response.

I already designed a report with the standalone designer tools and saved it. The problem is, I cannot add an object data source with it's fields and so on in order to bind report fields to object fields. Any insight on this?

When I try to add an "Object Data Source", and I am asked to select a Business Object, all the tabs and lists in the dialog are empty. I think I must somehow set a reference to my solution in the report designer, but I cannot figure out how to do it.

Currently, I am using the Microsoft Localreports and SQL report builder. But rendering to Word and Excel is not acceptable, so I am looking for a good alternative. In SQL Server Report Builder there is a way to define the datasources with their fields in the report itself. And because the data I am trying to display in the report is generated from code, I am sending it to the report engine using lists of serializable objects. I am trying to achieve the same or similar functionality with Telerik Reporting, but I cannot see a way to define a data source fields in the standalone designer. I've watched some movies, did a quick reading of the help, but still I cannot find a way to tell the report designer to get references to my objects I intend to use to supply data to Telerik report engine in order to render it to Excel/Word/PDF.

Stef
Telerik team
answered on 24 Feb 2015, 01:04 PM
Hi,

My suggested is to test creating reports with the Standalone Designer tool, which can be extended with external assemblies with data and user functions - Extending Report Designer (check the linked KB articles at the bottom as well). The articles elaborate on both extending the Report Designer tool and deploying the reports later.

Regards,
Stef
Telerik

Check out the Telerik Platform - the only platform that combines a rich set of UI tools with powerful cloud services to develop web, hybrid and native mobile apps.

Sparky
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 24 Feb 2015, 01:13 PM
Thank you. I'll try...
Sparky
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 25 Feb 2015, 08:20 AM
One more question - the report now loads and exports to PDF and XLS, but I cannot export to DOC/DOCX/XLSX, and I get "null reference" exception.

I've installed "DocumentFormat.OpenXML" nuget package, but still the errors remain. Here's the code:
public override void ToWord(Stream s)
{
    System.Xml.XmlReaderSettings xrs = new System.Xml.XmlReaderSettings();
    xrs.IgnoreWhitespace = true;

System.Xml.XmlReader xr = System.Xml.XmlReader.Create("Report1.trdx", xrs);

Telerik.Reporting.XmlSerialization.ReportXmlSerializer rxrs = new Telerik.Reporting.XmlSerialization.ReportXmlSerializer();

Telerik.Reporting.Report r = (Telerik.Reporting.Report)rxrs.Deserialize(xr);

Telerik.Reporting.Processing.ReportProcessor rp = new Telerik.Reporting.Processing.ReportProcessor();

Telerik.Reporting.Processing.RenderingResult rr = rp.RenderReport("DOC", r, new System.Collections.Hashtable());

s.Write(rr.DocumentBytes, 0, rr.DocumentBytes.Length);

s.Close();
}

Sparky
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 25 Feb 2015, 08:24 AM
For the errors, I get "XXX Rendering is not available" when trying  to export to "DOC/DOCX/XLSX", and "Null reference" exception when trying to export to RTF. Sorry for the mistake on my previous post.
Stef
Telerik team
answered on 26 Feb 2015, 02:54 PM
Hi Spartak,

Please test exporting the report from the Report Designer tool to verify the created structure is valid. Then add references to Telerik.Reporting.OpenXmlRendering.dll and Open XML SDK 2.0 for Microsoft Office (DocumentFormat.OpenXml.dll v.2.0.5022.0 or above with proper binding redirect) in the start project.

The supported rendering formats are listed in
Rendering Extensions.

If you need further help, feel free to open a support ticket and send us a demo project to check your settings.

Regards,
Stef
Telerik

Sparky
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 27 Feb 2015, 01:45 PM
Thanks,

It works on my home machine. It seems some references was not correct on my work machine.

The RTF renderer crashes (null reference) when there is tables with ObjectDataSource and filter, when after filtering there is no records to display. All other renderers are working without a problem on the same document with the same data. I've filled a bug report on this. 

Thanks again.
Stef
Telerik team
answered on 27 Feb 2015, 01:59 PM
Hello Spartak,

Below is quote from my response in your bug report:
"A similar issue with export in RTF was recently fixed. Please download the latest available Telerik Reporting Q1 2015 and upgrade your projects.

If the problem still occurs, send us a runnable demo project where the problem is reproducible
"

Please let us continue the discussion in the submitted bug report thread in order to keep a better track on the exchanged information and separate issues per thread.

Regards,
Stef
Telerik

Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Sparky
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Stef
Telerik team
Sparky
Top achievements
Rank 1