This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Reporting Q2 2014 "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

12 Answers 110 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Mike
Top achievements
Rank 2
Mike asked on 26 Jun 2014, 06:33 PM
I recently upgraded to Q2 2014 and now I cannot open any reports created in any previous version. When I open the report, I get the error as shown in the screen shot. If I ignore and continue, I get the report designer, but some of the data sources are messed up. I am on Visual Studio 2012. Did I miss something in my project to upgrade the project?

I can create a new report and it will work okay.

12 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
David
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
Veteran
Iron
answered on 26 Jun 2014, 09:36 PM
I can report a similar problem.  I am using Visual Studio 2013 Premium Edition with a full Dev Edition of Telerik Suite.  I have found I get the similar error when I have more than one report open in the Studio designer at the same time.  It really doesn't matter what aspect of the designer is open (design/preview/html view) it seems only one "instance" of a telerik report may be open on a Tab within the Studio designer.  The underlying errors seem to indicate that I am missing a reference somewhere.  I am however not missing any.  The problem has manifested itself across any project that open no matter how simple or complex.   I even went so far as to completely remove all Telerik products and do a complete re-install.  The problem remains constant.

The ability to have ONE report open, while limiting my abilities, at least means I can continue to function.
Accepted
Chavdar
Telerik team
answered on 27 Jun 2014, 11:15 AM
Hello,

@Mike: The problem which you have described has been fixed already. Please, log into your account and download the latest internal build (8.1.14.620) with the fix.

@David: You are reporting a different problem which we cannot reproduce. Could you, please, open a support ticket and send a sample project with reports which cannot be opened at the same time? In general there is no such limitation so it might be something specific to the usage in your case.

Regards,
Chavdar
Telerik

Check out the Telerik Platform - the only platform that combines a rich set of UI tools with powerful cloud services to develop web, hybrid and native mobile apps.

Mike
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 27 Jun 2014, 01:43 PM
Thanks @Chavdar!
David
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
Veteran
Iron
answered on 27 Jun 2014, 02:50 PM
Providing you with a sample project appears to be a challenge.  Everything created from scratch appears to be fully functional.  Existing projects which go through the upgrade wizard appear to be the suspect.  Curiously I am finding that even in brand new projects, when I add a new report to a project it must go through the upgrade wizard BEFORE it appears to be recognized as being "valid".  By this I mean the "Telerik/Reporting" menu tree only contains the "Upgrade Wizard" until you run a newly added report to a project.  Once processed by the "Upgrade Wizard" the other items such as "Report Explorer", "Data Explorer" and so forth become available.

My source project is approaching two million lines of code with over 300 distinct reports.  Without the underlying data source it will be useless to you.  Of possible merit to your review of this problem, I have noticed that the problem seems to be consistent with how the given report is data bound.  Reports that are bound to a dataset table adapter are pretty much universally "broken".   By this I mean that only one instance can be open at a time.  Reports that are directly bound to data via a SQL or Object Datasource seem to be unaffected.  By this I mean that they open without displaying an error. 

Your comment that it seems to be a different error than Mike expressed might be true however the errors displayed are identical.  I would be interested in trying that fix if available.
Mike
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 27 Jun 2014, 02:55 PM
David, I downloaded that fix and it worked for me. I would say give it a shot.
David
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
Veteran
Iron
answered on 27 Jun 2014, 03:33 PM
The internal build was installed and tested.  It works in 100% of my reports.  No matter how they are databound they now open without error. 

Without meaning to cast any evil thoughts against the Telerik programmers, how reliable is the "internal build"?  If I migrate my code to use this internal build, is movement to a production environment "not advised"?  If not, when will this fix enter the main stream?
Chavdar
Telerik team
answered on 27 Jun 2014, 03:40 PM
Hi David,

The internal build is available in your account as well. Feel free to give it a try and let us know whether your issue has been fixed meanwhile.

When adding a new Telerik Report item make sure that its name includes the latest installed version (e.g. Telerik Report Q2 2014 (Blank)). In this case the Upgrade Wizard should not run.

For the sample project we don't need the entire code base. Two reports with the respective data sources which reproduce the issue should be enough.

Regards,
Chavdar
Telerik

Check out the Telerik Platform - the only platform that combines a rich set of UI tools with powerful cloud services to develop web, hybrid and native mobile apps.

Chavdar
Telerik team
answered on 27 Jun 2014, 03:54 PM
Hi David,

The internal build contains only a couple of small bug fixes so it is basically equal to the official release. You can check the release notes for the build to see exactly what is fixed.

On other side, we will publish an official service pack release probably in a month or so.

Regards,
Chavdar
Telerik

Robin
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 27 Jun 2014, 09:23 PM
We had the same issue and applied the hotfix mentioned.  Now I can't right-click inside report to View Code, I have to select that from the Solution Explorer window.  Is there a fix to that?
Stef
Telerik team
answered on 30 Jun 2014, 09:10 AM
Hello Robin,

This is a known issue logged in our system for improvement. A fix will be provided in a consecutive internal build.

Apologies for the caused inconvenience.

Regards,
Stef
Telerik

Robin
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 01 Jul 2014, 08:44 PM
I am also trying to modify some data boxes and when I click on the eclipse on value and then on Fields in the Edit Expression dialog box, the fields of the datasource don't populate now.  Is that also a bug?
Stef
Telerik team
answered on 02 Jul 2014, 04:22 PM
Hello Robin,

The Fields option will list the data fields available in the data source assigned to the data item. Please double-check if the data item's DataSource is set to a component, which fields can be previewed in the Data Explorer.

Regards,
Stef
Telerik

Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Mike
Top achievements
Rank 2
Answers by
David
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
Veteran