Report crashes on 3G connection

5 posts, 0 answers
  1. Jon
    Jon avatar
    813 posts
    Member since:
    Oct 2008

    Posted 28 Oct 2014 Link to this post

    Hi,

    When I run my report on a 3G connection it crashes.  I've tested with a very slow WIFI connection but that is OK so it isn't a timeout issue.  Any pointers?

    Error is below:

    Server Error in '/' Application.Object reference not set to an instance of an object.Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

    Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

    Source Error:

    An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.
    Stack Trace:

    [NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
    Telerik.ReportViewer.WebForms.ViewerState.get_CurrentPage() +19
    Telerik.ReportViewer.WebForms.ReportPageOperation.RenderReport(String format, IList`1 processingReports, Hashtable deviceInfo, IRenderingContext renderingContext) +336
    Telerik.ReportViewer.WebForms.ReportRenderOperation.PerformOperationOverride() +170
    Telerik.ReportViewer.WebForms.ReportPageOperation.PerformOperationOverride() +85
    Telerik.ReportViewer.WebForms.HandlerOperation.PerformOperation(HttpContext context, ICacheManager cacheManager) +42
    Telerik.ReportViewer.WebForms.BasicHandler.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) +142
    System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +181
    System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +75

  2. Stef
    Admin
    Stef avatar
    3610 posts

    Posted 29 Oct 2014 Link to this post

    Hello Jon,

    Such exception was reported and before, and the reason for it was in the project's session state mode and cache settings  - NullReferenceException when using ReportViewer in MVC context.

    In order to investigate the problem, please provide a demo project which illustrates the exact settings in your project, which lead to the unexpected behavior and the described error. Include also details how and where the application is deployed.


    Regards,
    Stef
    Telerik
     

    Check out the Telerik Platform - the only platform that combines a rich set of UI tools with powerful cloud services to develop web, hybrid and native mobile apps.

     
  3. Jon
    Jon avatar
    813 posts
    Member since:
    Oct 2008

    Posted 30 Oct 2014 in reply to Stef Link to this post

    Hi Stef,

    Thanks for that.  I've had a look and think that for now I will avoid the HTML5 report viewer because of the report service that is needed.

    I have used that basic project that you sent me in the other post that we just resolved.  Interestingly that report works fine so I'll work through my project to resolve the issue.

    Once I work out what the issue was I'll post here in case others hit the same issue.

    Regards

    Jon
  4. Jon
    Jon avatar
    813 posts
    Member since:
    Oct 2008

    Posted 31 Oct 2014 in reply to Jon Link to this post

    Hi Stef

    I've managed to have a look at this now and will shortly open a support ticket with a project file.

    Regards

    Jon
  5. Stef
    Admin
    Stef avatar
    3610 posts

    Posted 03 Nov 2014 Link to this post

    Hello Jon,

    Below is quote from my response in your support ticket:
    "We tested several on Android and WinPhone devices (the default browsers) and there were no issues to display the reports from the provided links:
    1. The first link opens an ASP.NET ReportViewer with report. Clicking the 'Test' button loads another report.
    2. The second link opens an empty ASP.NET ReportViewer. Clicking the 'Test' button loads a report in the viewer.
    Thus the issue might be related to the 3G connection and its speed.


    The only setting which is missing is a meta tag, which will force IE browsers to use standard rendering mode:
    <html>
    <head>
       <meta http-equiv="x-ua-compatible" content="IE=edge">
      <title>My webpage</title>
    </head>
    For more details check the Specifying legacy document modes msdn article.

    In addition, you do not need to Ajaxify the viewer - AJAX support
    ."


    Let us continue the discussion in your support thread, and we will update this forum thread at the end for anyone concerned.

    Regards,
    Stef
    Telerik
     

    Check out the Telerik Platform - the only platform that combines a rich set of UI tools with powerful cloud services to develop web, hybrid and native mobile apps.

     
Back to Top