This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

RadSpell throws 404 error when Spell Check is clicked

5 Answers 87 Views
Spell
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
PPSDevs
Top achievements
Rank 1
PPSDevs asked on 09 Jun 2011, 08:21 PM
In my project I have a RadTextBox and I am using RadSpell to check the spellings (using US english dictionary). Everything works fine in my development machine, even if I DON'T specify the DictionaryPath for RadSpell control and DON'T ADD the dictionary under RadSpell folder under App_Data folder.

However when I deploy the project to RC or PRODUCTION server (over HTTPS) , as soon as I click on the "Spell Check" button, it throws me a 404 error. I added the DictionaryPath to the RadSpell control ("~/App_Data/RadSpell") and created the path under App_Data folder and placed the dictionary there. But I still get 404 error.

This problem occurs in IE8 and below versions only. It works fine on IE9 and other browsers like Chrome, Firefox.

I tried using Fiddler and it shows javascript error in older versions of IE.

In IE9 when I click the Spell Check button I get a HTTP 302 and then a HTTP 200 OK response. But in IE8 (and previous versions of IE), I get a HTTP 302, then a HTTP 200 OK and then again a HTTP 302 and it errors out. Why does it returns a HTTP 302 after HTTP 200 OK response in IE8 or IE7 or IE6? Let me know ASAP. My release deadline is approaching and I have wasted two days trying to figure out the root cause.

I am using Telerik.Web.UI.dll version 2010.3.1317.35.

-mss

5 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Rumen
Telerik team
answered on 14 Jun 2011, 03:36 PM
Hello Manjeet,

I have tested the live demos of RadSpell under HTTPS
https://demos.telerik.com/aspnet-ajax/spell/examples/multiplechecks/defaultcs.aspx
and I was unable to reproduce the reported error under IE8.

Are you able to reproduce the problem in the live demos? If the problem does not exist in the examples then try to upgrade the Telerik.Web.UI.dll to its latest version 2011.1.519 and test again.

Kind regards,
Rumen
the Telerik team

Browse the vast support resources we have to jump start your development with RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX. See how to integrate our AJAX controls seamlessly in SharePoint 2007/2010 visiting our common SharePoint portal.

PPSDevs
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 14 Jun 2011, 03:47 PM
I have tested the demos in IE8 before is posted question on the forum, and they work.

The problem occurs when I implement the same in my project. I have even tried upgrading the controls to 2011.1.519.35, but it didn't help either. It works flawless in IE 9 but not in IE 8 or prior versions of IE. I also tried it on other browsers, Chrome and Firefox, and it works there as well.

Entire project is huge and it is not possible for me to share the code.

-Manjeet
PPSDevs
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 14 Jun 2011, 04:52 PM
Dear Rumen,

I have added a simple test page to my project, just so that I can send you some code snippets. If you find anything unusual let me know.

Here is my Test.aspx page

<%

@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeBehind="Test.aspx.cs" Inherits="ABC.Test" %>

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" >
<head runat="server">

<title></title> 

</

head>

<

body>

<form id="form1" runat="server">

<asp:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1" runat

="server">

</asp:ScriptManager

>

<div

>

<asp:Label ID="lblText" runat="server" Text="Text : "></asp:Label

>

<telerik:RadTextBox ID="txtText" runat

="server"

TextMode

="MultiLine"

Height

="25px"

Skin

="Office2007"

Width

="500px">

</telerik:RadTextBox

>

<telerik:RadSpell ID="RadSpell1" runat

="server"

ControlToCheck

="txtText"

Skin

="Office2007"

ButtonText="Check" SupportedLanguages="en-US,English"

/>

</div

>

</form

>

</

body

>

</

html

>

here is <httpHandlers> settinggs from web.config:

<

add path="Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource.axd" type="Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource" verb="*" validate="false"

/>

<

add path="Telerik.Web.UI.DialogHandler.aspx" type="Telerik.Web.UI.DialogHandler, Telerik.Web.UI, Version=2011.1.519.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=121fae78165ba3d4" verb="*" validate="false"

/>

<

add path="Telerik.Web.UI.SpellCheckHandler.axd" type="Telerik.Web.UI.SpellCheckHandler" verb="*" validate="false"

/>

As soon as I click the "Check" button, It shows me the spell check window but then it displays "Internet explorer cannot display the webpage"  inside the spell check window.

It is very simple spell checker page.

Let me know if you see something that I am not doing right.

-Manjeet 

PPSDevs
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 16 Jun 2011, 07:18 PM
Rumen,

I guess I know what is the problem, but, I don't know what is the solution.

In my application I am having to encrypt the query string to a Base64String, for security purpose. This is what is causing the RadSpell to fail. However, if I don't encrypt the query string, it works fine. Now, I CANNOT do away without query string being encrypted. So my question is, is there a way (or work around) to make RadSpell work with Base64String encrypted query string.

I have tried one suggestion, using  <globalization requestEncoding="utf-8" responseEncoding="utf-8" /> in my web.config, but it doesn't work. Any other solution?

Thanks,
Manjeet
Rumen
Telerik team
answered on 17 Jun 2011, 09:36 AM
Hello Manjeet,

How do you exactly encrypt the the query string to a Base64String? Do you use some IIS feature, custom code or security program?

In order to fix the problem you should find a way to exclude the Telerik.Web.UI.SpellCheckHandler.axd handler and its querystring from the encryption routine so that the spellchecker could function normally.

Best regards,
Rumen
the Telerik team

Browse the vast support resources we have to jump start your development with RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX. See how to integrate our AJAX controls seamlessly in SharePoint 2007/2010 visiting our common SharePoint portal.

Tags
Spell
Asked by
PPSDevs
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Rumen
Telerik team
PPSDevs
Top achievements
Rank 1