This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

RadMediaPlayer loads .mp4 in Visual Studio 2012 (localhost) but not on website

5 Answers 158 Views
MediaPlayer
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Max
Top achievements
Rank 1
Max asked on 10 Jan 2014, 08:54 AM
Support,

I have my website in a Visual Studio 2012 solution. 

When I enter debugging for my website, I am able to watch the .mp4 on the localhost page when I click play.

When I publish and deploy the website the RadMediaPlayer just circles when I hit play.

Any idea on what could cause RadMediaPlayer to just circle when published?

Thanks,

Max

Edit:
The only things I can I can think of is permissions or IIS settings

5 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Max
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 12 Jan 2014, 09:41 PM
Support,

I also tried some other scenarios.

In visual studio debugging in chrome: I am able to play .mp4, and .webm, but I am unable to play .ogv.
In visual studio debugging in firefox: I am able to play .mp4, ,webm, and .ogv.
In visual studio debugging in IE: I am able to play .mp4.

Note:

For my application, I only need .mp4.

When I deploy the website to my server, I am unable to play any files on any browser in the media player.

The mediaplayer shows a black window with the play button, but when I click play it just circles instead of playing the video

Do you know what could cause this behavior where it works in visual studio but not on the published website?

Thanks,

Max

Milena
Telerik team
answered on 14 Jan 2014, 11:14 AM
Hello,

Currently, we have a known limitation - MediaPlayer does not work when it is running through localhost in InternetExplorer. however it works as expected via localhost in other browsers. Could you please verify if the following MIME types are added to the webconfig:

<system.webServer>
  <staticContent>
    <mimeMap fileExtension=".mp4" mimeType="video/mp4" />
    <mimeMap fileExtension=".ogv" mimeType="video/ogg" />
    <mimeMap fileExtension=".webm" mimeType="video/webm" />
  </staticContent>
</system.webServer>

Additionally, in this help topic you can find more information about the three supported formats and their compliance with the major browsers.

Regards,
Milena
Telerik
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to the blog feed now.
Max
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 14 Jan 2014, 08:14 PM
Support,

I got the .mp4 file to play. Originally I had:

<system.webServer>
  <staticContent>
    <mimeMap fileExtension=".mp4" mimeType="video/mp4" />
  </staticContent>
</system.webServer>

Then I changed it to:

<system.webServer>
  <staticContent>
    <mimeMap fileExtension=".mp4" mimeType="video/mp4" />
    <mimeMap fileExtension=".ogv" mimeType="video/ogg" />
    <mimeMap fileExtension=".webm" mimeType="video/webm" />
  </staticContent>
</system.webServer>

I would also like to play .mp3 files on the page.

As with .mp4 should i add all of the following:

<system.webServer>
  <staticContent>
    <mimeMap fileExtension=".mp3" mimeType="audio/mpeg" />
    <mimeMap fileExtension=".ogg" mimeType="audio/ogg" />
    <mimeMap fileExtension=".wav" mimeType="audio/wav" />
  </staticContent>
</system.webServer>

Thanks,

Max
Milena
Telerik team
answered on 17 Jan 2014, 09:25 AM
Hello,

In order to play mp3 files, you should add:

<system.webServer>
  <staticContent>
    <mimeMap fileExtension=".mp3" mimeType="audio/mpeg" />
  </staticContent>
</system.webServer>

You can see which browsers support mp3 format here.

Regards,
Milena
Telerik
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to the blog feed now.
Stephen
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 24 Jul 2017, 08:32 PM

Hello,

I know that this thread is very dated. But it is the one that comes closest to the issue i am running into at the moment. I am attempting to use the radMediaPlayer with a Youtube playlist as follows:

<telerik:RadMediaPlayer RenderMode="Lightweight" ID="RadMediaPlayer1" runat="server"
                Height="550" EnableViewState="false" Width="100%" AutoPlay="false" YoutubeApiKey="AIzaSyB0CsfEUG18ht-XJ4WBCluZNkE-Oj_tMhM">
                <PlaylistSettings YouTubePlaylist="PLq1Iji7sdD2hIEhUJXEmhHUt" Mode="Buttons" ButtonsTrigger="Hover" />
            </telerik:RadMediaPlayer>

However i encounter this javascript error:

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'mimeType' of undefined
    at Function.b.MediaPlayers.Html5Player.canPlay (ScriptResource.axd?value=sTlDL0NAnfutc5+n2ctSxe5pDwvqugGtbkfToDV8KKOA3cC4i1e4X+fC4UVgAS2DJstNyTAZQv…:198)
    at b.RadMediaPlayer.<anonymous> (ScriptResource.axd?value=sTlDL0NAnfutc5+n2ctSxe5pDwvqugGtbkfToDV8KKOA3cC4i1e4X+fC4UVgAS2DJstNyTAZQv…:657)
    at Function.e (ScriptResource.axd?value=FMUiDmpcSZdtfWdJ1K/bGawzzYG9kBmqPD5RSNU3swaNAK+VrVU5UoE+LHXhwxmi6Kv/DUMLGj…:2)
    at Function.each (ScriptResource.axd?value=FMUiDmpcSZdtfWdJ1K/bGawzzYG9kBmqPD5RSNU3swaNAK+VrVU5UoE+LHXhwxmi6Kv/DUMLGj…:2)
    at b.RadMediaPlayer._getBestPlayer (ScriptResource.axd?value=sTlDL0NAnfutc5+n2ctSxe5pDwvqugGtbkfToDV8KKOA3cC4i1e4X+fC4UVgAS2DJstNyTAZQv…:657)
    at b.RadMediaPlayer._initializeCurrentPlayer (ScriptResource.axd?value=sTlDL0NAnfutc5+n2ctSxe5pDwvqugGtbkfToDV8KKOA3cC4i1e4X+fC4UVgAS2DJstNyTAZQv…:635)
    at b.RadMediaPlayer.initialize (ScriptResource.axd?value=sTlDL0NAnfutc5+n2ctSxe5pDwvqugGtbkfToDV8KKOA3cC4i1e4X+fC4UVgAS2DJstNyTAZQv…:596)
    at b.RadMediaPlayer.endUpdate (MsAjaxJs?value=wgyFysDCDrXfNekNAQOlikyoC7f7z0I2go15nBKGyyukwbuqhVcSo38Fc0DM1qdk0fWybgbaqpS83nWHCYQH…:1)
    at Sys.Component.create (MsAjaxJs?value=wgyFysDCDrXfNekNAQOlikyoC7f7z0I2go15nBKGyyukwbuqhVcSo38Fc0DM1qdk0fWybgbaqpS83nWHCYQH…:1)
    at Array.<anonymous> (PresentationMaterial.aspx:1333)

Have you encountered this before? I am not able to get past this and get the video playlist loaded.

Thanks,

Stephen

Tags
MediaPlayer
Asked by
Max
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Max
Top achievements
Rank 1