This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

RadImageEditor 2013.2.611.35 Not Saving Annotations With Large Image

7 Answers 129 Views
ImageEditor
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Jody Harbour
Top achievements
Rank 1
Jody Harbour asked on 19 Jun 2013, 02:46 PM
Hi Guys,

Until this version of Telerik (2013.2.611.35), I was able to save annotations (i.e., pencil, circle, etc.) along with the image even if the image was, for example, 1200x1600 pixels, in size.  This new version only saves the large image without any annotations.

Now, if I use an image say 300x300 pixels, the annotations save with the image fine.

I have tried setting the MaxJSONLength property to the maximum value, but that did not solve it either.

Bryan
:-(

7 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Vessy
Telerik team
answered on 24 Jun 2013, 02:39 PM
Hello Jody,

I tried to reproduce the described behavior but to no avail. Could take a look over the video from my test here and see whether I am not leaving anything out? For my test I have used the RadControls from Q2 2013 release.

For your convenience I am attaching my test project along with my test image. Are you able to reproduce the same issue with it? If no - could you modify it up to a point where the problem occurs and send it back?

Looking forward to hearing from you,
Veselina Raykova
Telerik
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to the blog feed now.
Bryan McFarland
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 24 Jul 2013, 09:26 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm having the same problem.  When the image is over a certain size (don't know what that is), the annotations will not save.  I've attached an image that I've used.

I'm not usiing the off-the-shelf save to server feature.  I'm using this code that was supplied on the Telerik web site examples...

$find('<%= Me.rie_diagram.ClientID %>').saveImageOnServer('', true); 

When I look on the server, the created file has NO annotations (i.e., circles, lines, etc.).  This didn't happen before this Telerik update.

Bryan
:-(
Vessy
Telerik team
answered on 26 Jul 2013, 03:47 PM
Hello Jody,

I assume that the experienced issue is due to the fact you are trying to save big images - they wont be saved when using the default CanvasMode of imageEditor, because of a limitation in the default MaxJsonLenght. There are two possible workaround for this issue, that I could suggest you:
  • to set the CanvasMode property of the imageEditor to "No"
  • To upgrade to the latest version of RadControls (or at least to 2013 Q2 Beta)  where a new inner property has been implemented in the ImageEditor and the MaxJsonLenght can be controled from there:
    <telerik:RadImageEditor ID="RadImageEditor1" runat="server" Height="465px" Width="585px" ToolBarMode="Docked" StatusBarMode="Bottom" ToolBarPosition="Left" ImageUrl="~/Images/Tulips_large.jpg" OnImageSaving="RadImageEditor1_ImageSaving">
        <EditableImageSettings MaxJsonLength="999999999" />
    </telerik:RadImageEditor>
I hope this will be helpful in solving the case.

Kind regards,
Veselina Raykova
Telerik
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to the blog feed now.
Bryan McFarland
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 27 Jul 2013, 08:26 AM
Hi Veselina,

I have to use Canvas mode for the ability of drawing lines, circles, etc.  I tried the MaxJsonLength change.  It did NOT work.

I know something has changed in this version of Telerik because in the older, working version (that saved annotations on a big image), the circle and square drawing tools could not be moved once drawn on the image.  In this new version, which does not save annotations on a big image, the circle and square drawing tools have tags on the corners and sides to allow moving them before applying them permanently on the image.  So, something change fundamentally to the RadImageEditor.

Bryan
Vessy
Telerik team
answered on 01 Aug 2013, 11:35 AM
Hi Bryan,

Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

I am afraid that we are still not able to reproduce the described problem with the attached image - its size is pretty small, could you verify that you are experiencing the problematic behavior with it? Could you see the video from my test here and let me know whether I am not leaving anything out? I have added a RadFileExplorer control to my test page in order to show the saved copy of the image.

Regards,
Veselina Raykova
Telerik
Bryan McFarland
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 29 Nov 2013, 10:16 AM

Hi Guys,

I finally discovered what is going on.  I can't explain it, but I can compensate for it.

For, what appears to be, large files, when the image is saved in the RadImageEditor via an ajax call to save the .ImageURL path of the file, a PNG file copy of the image is created (somehow) with all annotations on it.

I don't know why a PNG copy is created, but it has the annotations.  So, I can check for this file, and if it exists, then use it instead of the original file in the .ImageURL path.

Now, for smaller files, this PNG does not get created.  I think this is dependent on size, but I cannot be completely sure.  Maybe there's something internal to the image (GIF vs JPG, dpi, 24-bit, etc.).

Bryan

Vessy
Telerik team
answered on 04 Dec 2013, 09:35 AM
Hi Bryan,

Thank you for your explanation. Unfortunately we are still not able to reproduce the described behavior with a not-customized ImageEditor but we are glad to hear that you have found a way to work around this.

Please, feel free to contact us in case any further questions occur.

Regards,
Veselina Raykova
Telerik
Tags
ImageEditor
Asked by
Jody Harbour
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Vessy
Telerik team
Bryan McFarland
Top achievements
Rank 1