This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

RadGrid 508 Accessibility.

3 Answers 190 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Sandeep
Top achievements
Rank 1
Sandeep asked on 09 Apr 2012, 08:04 AM
I have a RadGrid. I want to make it UI accessible. In this grid I am using checkboxes for row selection like this:

<telerik:GridClientSelectColumn UniqueName="headerSelectAll" ItemStyle-Width="40px"
ItemStyle-HorizontalAlign="Center" HeaderStyle-Width="40px" HeaderStyle-HorizontalAlign="Center"  />          

Each checkbox is clickable and I want that it will be 508 UI Accessible. Please suggest for it.

Thanks.

3 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Martin
Telerik team
answered on 12 Apr 2012, 08:44 AM
Hello Sandeep,

You can specify empty text (or some tooltips) for the checkboxes from the GridClientSelectColumn intercepting the ItemCreated server event of the control. In it you can reference the checkbox in the column cells accessing the first control in the cell's Controls collection. For example:

protected void RadGrid1_ItemCreated(object sender, GridItemEventArgs e)
{
    if (e.Item is GridDataItem)
    {
        GridDataItem item = e.Item as GridDataItem;
        (item["headerSelectAll"].Controls[0] as CheckBox).Text = "&nbsp;";
    }
    if (e.Item is GridHeaderItem)
    {
        GridHeaderItem item = e.Item as GridHeaderItem;
        (item["headerSelectAll"].Controls[0] as CheckBox).Text = "&nbsp;";
    }
}

Further information about the section 508 compliance requirements and how they can be fulfilled by RadGrid is available in this help topic.

Greetings,
Martin
the Telerik team
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now.
Sandeep
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 19 Apr 2012, 10:23 AM
Thanks Martin

When I use ToolTip property of checkboxes then these don't access but when I define Text property then these are accessible.

OR

When I use Tooltip Property and Text Property empty then these are accessible. So I write code like:

protected void radGrid_ItemCreated(object sender, GridItemEventArgs e)
{
if (e.Item is GridDataItem)
  {
  GridDataItem item = e.Item
as GridDataItem;
              item[
"headerSelectAll"].Controls[0] as CheckBox).Text = "&nbsp";
                (item[
"headerSelectAll"].Controls[0] as CheckBox).ToolTip = "clickable checkbox";
         }
       if (e.Item is GridHeaderItem)
        {
               GridHeaderItem item = e.Item
as GridHeaderItem;
               (item[
"headerSelectAll"].Controls[0] as CheckBox).Text = "&nbsp";
             (item[
"headerSelectAll"].Controls[0] as CheckBox).ToolTip = "clickable checkbox";
        }
  }

Because empty text have not mean and Screen Reader read alternate Text(ToolTip)[My thought not confirm]. So This approach is correct or Wrong ? Please Suggest.

Thanks
Martin
Telerik team
answered on 23 Apr 2012, 05:12 PM
Hello Sandeep,

Since all visible INPUT elements must have a label, either by using a linked or containing LABEL element, or by using the ALT or TITLE attribute it is up to the developer what approach to implement. By design the GridClientSelectColumn check box controls do not render those attributes or labels so you can follow the approach form my previous post and accommodate it per your particular scenario.

I hope this helps.

All the best,
Martin
the Telerik team
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now.
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Sandeep
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Martin
Telerik team
Sandeep
Top achievements
Rank 1