This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

RadDockLayout width in VS2008

6 Answers 123 Views
Dock
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
PureCode
Top achievements
Rank 2
PureCode asked on 06 Jan 2008, 11:30 PM
Hi,

When i try to use the RadDockLayout in VS2008, it is very thin.

I stuck a table with width and height set to 100% in there (expecting the RadDockLayout to resize accordingly) but it is still extremely thin.

This doesn't exactly 'assist' me with designing the page in the designer as the middle column of my table is like five pixels wide and that is the column that contains the ContentPlaceHolder.

I work exclusively with percentage based sizing (prototyping an entirely integrated company CRM/Accounting/Marketing/etc application and decided to try Prometheus after RadControls for ASP.NET gave me some major headaches) and the application has to size itself to whatever resolution the (80+) workstations use.

Been fighting with this for hours but there is no 'width' and 'height' settings for the RadDockLayout and as thus, nothing seems to work with sizing that thing to a usable width inside the VS2008 designer. A five pixel ContentPlaceHolder is just not workable.

I sincerely hope this is possible to do, as i will have to move to another vendor if i cannot get this to work (Telerik seems the best so far in our trials, but trivial things like described above REALLY kill any maintainability for my client and as thus, not usuable for us as a company).

This is how it looks inside VS2008: VS2008 RadDockLayout image.

The entire table is sized to 100% width and height, the left column is 20% width, the middle column is 60% width and the right column is 20% width. As you can see, it sizes to the size of the RadDockLayout, not the size of the designer window (I run 1680x1050). It does, however, look right in the browser when 'executing' the application.

Here's the aspx script for it:

<div id="DemoMainTable" style="width: 100%; height: 100%;"
    <telerik:raddocklayout id="RadDockLayout1" runat="server" skin="Blue"
        <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0" style="width: 100%; height: 100%;"
            <tr> 
                <td colspan="3"
                </td> 
            </tr> 
            <tr> 
                <td style="width: 20%;"
                    <telerik:RadDockZone ID="RadDockZone1" Runat="server" Height="500px" Skin="Blue"
                    </telerik:RadDockZone> 
                </td> 
                <td style="width: 60%; vertical-align: top;"
                    <asp:ContentPlaceHolder ID="DemoContentPlaceHolder" runat="server"
                    </asp:ContentPlaceHolder> 
                </td> 
                <td style="width: 20%;"
                    <telerik:RadDockZone ID="RadDockZone2" Runat="server" Height="500px" Skin="Blue"
                    </telerik:RadDockZone> 
                </td> 
            </tr> 
            <tr> 
                <td colspan="3"
                </td> 
            </tr> 
        </table> 
    </telerik:raddocklayout> 
</div> 

Regards,

Mike

6 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Petya
Telerik team
answered on 10 Jan 2008, 03:38 PM
Hello PureCode,

I just wanted to let you know that we were able to reproduce the problem with the code you provided and we are currently investigating it to see if we can solve it. When we have some further information we will contact you either in this thread or in the other one you have opened.

Regards,
Petya
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions at the new Telerik Support Center
PureCode
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 11 Jan 2008, 03:06 AM
Hi Petya,

Thanks for keeping us up to date and the effort to fix the issue.

I tried the test website (from which the above code is) in VS2005 and it is wider in its designer but still not 'screen wide', so it seems to be related to how Visual Studio draws things in its designer as it differs between the two versions yet looks good inside the browsers after 'executing' the website.

Once again, thanks.

Regards,

Mike
Petya
Telerik team
answered on 11 Jan 2008, 08:55 AM
Hello PureCode,

Yes, we tested as well the behavior design time in VS2005 and VS2008 and came to the same conclusions as you have. Anyway, we will work on the issue and keep you informed on our progress.

Sincerely yours,
Petya
the Telerik team

Petya
Telerik team
answered on 15 Jan 2008, 06:05 PM
Hello PureCode,

We just released a service pack of the controls where we attempted to improve the design-time behavior of RadDockLayout. Please, test with this latest version and let us know if you still find any problems. The service pack version you can download from your Client.Net account on our web site.

Best wishes,
Petya
the Telerik team

PureCode
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 15 Jan 2008, 10:23 PM
Hi Petya,

Looks like you guys nailed it! Works great now in VS2008.

The only two slight issues popped up

It complained about the old registration for Prometheus in web.config, which was easily solved by re-registering it in there. That also removed the old one automatically, very nice.

The 'Blue' skin seems to have gone missing, just changed to another skin so that was minor as well.

Neither are related to RadDockLayout so at this point in time the issue we were having with it seems to have been fixed as it shows 'full width' in the VS2008 designer as well in the web browser after 'executing' the website.

Awesome customer care Telerik, considering we are using a trial version of Prometheus and getting a fix this quickly. Many other companies can learn a thing or two from you guys, especially here in the USA. Top notch! Many thanks especially to you Petya, for being extremely helpful and professional.

Regards,

Mike
Martin
Telerik team
answered on 16 Jan 2008, 09:59 AM
Hello PureCode,

Thank you very much for the nice words about Telerik. It is a great pleasure for us to hear that we have succeeded in satisfying our client's needs.

Let me just comment the skin issue you mention to be experiencing. Only a uniform set of skins is being shipped with RadControls Prometheus. Unfortunately, the Blue skin is not included in the distribution anymore.

However, you may check http://www.telerik.com/skins and download the uncommon set of skins for each Prometheus control.

Please, find attached the Blue skin for RadDock Prometheus. Let us know if any other issues arise using our controls.

Best wishes,

Martin Ivanov
the Telerik team

Tags
Dock
Asked by
PureCode
Top achievements
Rank 2
Answers by
Petya