This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

RadDiagram shape can't be moved (dragged) in VS 2013 designer

3 Answers 71 Views
Diagram
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Kalle
Top achievements
Rank 1
Kalle asked on 10 Jun 2014, 07:14 AM
Hi!

I can't move/drag any shape created to RadDiagram inside Visual Studio's designer. Shape is always created to the top left corner of the diagram.
Also even though I think I have all the necessary assemblies referenced I get an exception after trying to add RadDiagram (Wizard shows up and I use default selections and press "Ok" button).

Version of the assemblies are: 2013.3.1313.45

Assemblies I'm referencing are:
- Telerik.Windows.Controls.Diagrams
- Telerik.Windows.Controls.Diagrams.Extensions
- Telerik.Windows.Controls.Input
- Telerik.Windows.Controls.Navigation
- Telerik.Windows.Diagrams.Core
- Telerik.Windows.Controls.DataVisualization
- Telerik.Windows.Controls.GridView (I also have some gridview's in use)
- Telerik.Windows.Data
- Telerik.Windows.Documents
- Telerik.Windows.Documents.Core
- Telerik.Windows.Documents.Flow

Exception after wizard closes:
ArgumentException: Property not found: FrameworkElement.Name
Parameter name: FrameworkElement.Name

StackTrace:
at Telerik.Windows.Core.Design.ModelItemExtensions.GetValue(ModelItem item, PropertyIdentifier identifier)
   at Telerik.Windows.Core.Design.ModelItemExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass8.<FindDescendantItemByName>b__5(ModelItem x)
   at Telerik.Windows.Core.Design.ModelItemExtensions.FindDescendantItem(ModelItem item, Predicate`1 condition)
   at Telerik.Windows.Core.Design.ModelItemExtensions.FindDescendantItem(ModelItem item, Predicate`1 condition)
   at Telerik.Windows.Core.Design.ModelItemExtensions.FindDescendantItemByName(ModelItem item, String name, Boolean contains)
   at Telerik.Windows.Controls.Diagrams.Design.DiagramWizard.DiagramWizardManager.GetUniqueName(ModelItem rootModel, String baseName)
   at Telerik.Windows.Controls.Diagrams.Design.DiagramWizard.DiagramWizardManager.PrepareRootPanel()
   at Telerik.Windows.Controls.Diagrams.Design.DiagramWizard.DiagramWizardManager.DiscoverRootPanels()
   at Telerik.Windows.Controls.Diagrams.Design.DiagramWizard.DiagramWizardManager.FinalizeWizard()
   at Telerik.Windows.Documents.VisualStudio.Design.Wizard.WizardWindow.Complete()
   at Telerik.Windows.Documents.VisualStudio.Design.Wizard.WizardWindow.Finalize()
   at Telerik.Windows.Controls.Diagrams.Design.RadDiagram.DiagramAdorner.<>c__DisplayClass4.<currentWindow_Closed>b__3()
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

I have had this problem for some time now, I'm currently using 2013 Q3 NET 4.5 components for WPF and it was the same with previous versions also.

What could be causing this problem?

Br,

Kalle

3 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Zarko
Telerik team
answered on 11 Jun 2014, 05:06 PM
Hello Kalle,
Yes you can't move the RadDiagramShapes using the Visual Studio's designer but you can do this using their Position property:
<telerik:RadDiagramShape Position="100 100" />
This is a really strange exception and unfortunately we weren't able to reproduce it. Please note that the RadDiagram needs the Telerik.Windows.Diagrams.Core too so could you please try to add it and test again ? I tested this scenario with Visual Studio 2013 version 12.0.21005.1 and Telerik dlls version 2013.3.1316.45.
We're looking forward to hearing from you again.
p.s. One more question - are you using our installers/msi or the zip files with the dlls ?

Regards,
Zarko
Telerik

Check out Telerik Analytics, the service which allows developers to discover app usage patterns, analyze user data, log exceptions, solve problems and profile application performance at run time. Watch the videos and start improving your app based on facts, not hunches.

Kalle
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 12 Jun 2014, 07:20 AM
Hi!

Unfortunately removing and adding Telerik.Windows.Diagrams.Core didn't help with this issue, exception is thrown when Diagram wizard is closed using "Ok" button. Anyway, it seems to be possible to use RadDiagramShapes without RadDiagram as a container and without RadDiagram those shapes can be moved in the designer (that is the reason I thought they should be movable inside RadDiagram as well).

I'm thinking of doing my process diagram using some other way like using groupboxes to hold some labels with stackpanels and draw some arrows using RadDiagramShapes. It might be enough for me.

I have installed these controls like this (these files were provided to me by some person in our Procurement):
- Run installer RadControls_for_WPF_2013_3_1204_Dev.msi
- Extract contents of hotfix RadControls_for_WPF_2013_3_1204_Dev_hotfix.zip to install dir (not sure if this was necessary after installer)
- Extract content of hotfix 03740RadControls_for_WPF_2013_3_1313_DEV_hotfix.zip to install dir

So my current version is this 2013_3_1313 from that hotfix ZIP.

I would prefer using your Control Panel software to do the updates but unfortunately I don't have my Telerik Trial account linked to my purchased license (maybe someday our Procurement personnel manage to do that...).

Br,

Kalle

Zarko
Telerik team
answered on 16 Jun 2014, 04:08 PM
Hi Kalle,
Thank you for the clarifications unfortunately we're still not able to reproduce the exception. The only issue we reproduced is that the first time you use the design time wizard the correct XAML is not always generated but if you drag and drop the diagram again everything is working. There's one more thing that I'd like to ask you - do you reproduce the problem in a new empty WPF project or only your custom project?
We'll continue researching this issue and if we find out something we'll contact you.
I hope I was able to help you and if you have any further questions feel free to ask.

Regards,
Zarko
Telerik

Check out Telerik Analytics, the service which allows developers to discover app usage patterns, analyze user data, log exceptions, solve problems and profile application performance at run time. Watch the videos and start improving your app based on facts, not hunches.

Tags
Diagram
Asked by
Kalle
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Zarko
Telerik team
Kalle
Top achievements
Rank 1