This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

RadDatePicker in a ToopTip

1 Answer 53 Views
ToolTip
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Paul Evers
Top achievements
Rank 2
Paul Evers asked on 21 Feb 2012, 11:14 AM
Hi,

I have the following setup:
I have a usercontrol which I show in a Tooltip (by a RadTooltipmanager). 

<telerik:RadToolTipManager ID="RadToolTipManager1" runat="server" HideEvent="ManualClose"
        ManualClose="True" Modal="true" ShowCallout="False" ShowEvent="OnClick" Position="Center"
        OnAjaxUpdate="RadToolTipManager1_AjaxUpdate" ShowDelay="0" RelativeTo="BrowserWindow"
        Height="400" Width="550" CssClass="ToolTip">
 </telerik:RadToolTipManager>

In this usercontrol I have several input-fields.
One of them is a RadDatePicker. 

<telerik:RadDatePicker ID="datePicker" runat="server" ShowPopupOnFocus="True" ZIndex="10000">
</telerik:RadDatePicker>

The ZIndex is set to show the calendar popup above the tooltip.
When I hoover with my mouse over the calendar-button the tooltip closes. The tooptip is set to ManualClose.
When I click on the inputfield the calendar shows but when I move the mouse to the calendar-popup the tooltip is also closed.

What is going wrong here?

Paul 

1 Answer, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Accepted
Marin Bratanov
Telerik team
answered on 22 Feb 2012, 04:24 PM
Hi Paul,

I have just answered your support ticket on a similar matter and I believe the following part from it is relevant here in case somebody else stumbles upon a similar problem:

What I believe is happening in your case is that the button of the calendar has its own tooltip (i.e. the HTML element has the title property set) which is picked up by the tooltipmanager that is configured to transform all regular tooltips on the page to RadToolTips. This happens because the RadToolTipManager tracks AJAX requests and also tooltipifies content received via AJAX.

You can only have one RadToolTip visible on the page in the same way you can have only one browser tooltip visible, so when you hover the mouse over the button a new tooltip (from autotooltipify) attempts to open.To do so it closes the previous one, which is perhaps the behavior you are observing. 

Currently this scenario is difficult to achieve and I suggest we continue the discussion in the support ticket. In the meantime you can try setting the ShowEvent of the automatic manager to OnClick so that it will not hide the calendar until one of its items is clicked, which may be desired at some point.

Generally, for the time being I would suggest that you remove the manager with AutoToolTipify functionality and if possible use target controls for it. You can set the needed tooltip string as the value each target control holds and use the OnClientShow event to set it as text (so that you avoid AJAX requests just to get a simple string):
function OnClientShow(sender, args)
{
    sender.set_text(sender.get_value());
}

Greetings,
Marin
the Telerik team
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now.
Tags
ToolTip
Asked by
Paul Evers
Top achievements
Rank 2
Answers by
Marin Bratanov
Telerik team
Share this question
or