This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

RadControls failing with Windows 2008/IIS 7.0

5 Answers 132 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Adam
Top achievements
Rank 1
Adam asked on 22 Sep 2008, 10:44 PM
I have web application that is set to go live within the next couple of weeks.  It has been developed in a windows 2003/IIS 6.0 environment however we are being forced to release it on a Windows 2008/IIS 7.0 server.  This was a last minute decision that we have no control over.

Due to the short time I have had to prepare my app for IIS 7.0, it will be released using an AppPool set to Classic ASP.NET until I can get it converted to run as an Integrated app.

We are using RadControls for Asp.NET and everything works great on our development server.  Without making any changes though, IIS 7.0 refuses to allow any radcontrols.  I keep getting Unknown server tag 'rad:radSplitter'

I have defined the controls in both the web.config and at the top of my .master files and .ascx files

example web.config

<

add tagPrefix="rad" namespace="Telerik.WebControls" assembly="RadSplitter.Net2" />

example .ascx and .master files

<%

@ Register TagPrefix="rad" Namespace="Telerik.WebControls" Assembly="RadSplitter.NET2" %>

Has anyone else encountered this?  I have wasted an entire day with this error and the powers that be are breathing down my neck to get this resolved.

Thanks
Adam

5 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Pavel
Telerik team
answered on 25 Sep 2008, 10:34 AM
Hi Adam,

We are not sure what is causing this error on your end. I have just tested some of our Asp.Net controls on IIS7, and they seem to be working as expected. Furthermore we have not received other reports of such issues. In case you continue to experience those problems, please consider opening a support ticket and attaching to it a sample application which reproduces the behavior.

Best wishes,
Pavel
the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer, the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.
Adam
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 29 Sep 2008, 10:17 PM
I have installed the sample Net2 folder provided with the RadControls for ASP.Net in another virtual directory off the Default website and things seem to be working ok there.

My project is built a bit differently from the norm.  This project is designed in the model of a true application.  In otherwords, I have implimented it so that all page requests pass through default.aspx, pass those requests on to a custom HttpModule to authenticate, Context.RewritePath to the correct path and load the correct code-behind file via Reflection.  It is the code-behind file/webcontrol that locates and opens the .ascx rather than using the .ascx to load the code-behind.  Could this cause errors on IIS 7.0 where it would otherwise work correctly on IIS 6.0?

I should also note that any custom webcontrols native to the WebApp (also signed by VS2005) have no difficulty loading.  We have purchased RadControls with source code option.  Do you think it would be beneficial to import the Telerik source code into my project?
Adam
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 29 Sep 2008, 10:24 PM
Here is a url to the working Beta of the application which is running on 2003 SP2/IIS 6.0

http://eatonline.missouri.edu/EATOnline2/Userlogin.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fEATOnline2%2fdefault.aspx

username: telerik
password: radcontrols

I wish I could give you a url to the failing site on the 2008/IIS 7.0 server.  It is unfortunatly behind a firewall that I cannot get opened to it until the server is physically moved to the main production server floor.

Adam
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 29 Sep 2008, 10:38 PM
here is a copy of the Application Event log stack trace when the error is encountered

Event code: 3006
Event message: A parser error has occurred.
Event time: 9/29/2008 5:37:00 PM
Event time (UTC): 9/29/2008 10:37:00 PM
Event ID: 175f93c1dc7545058a9b725cd40b4708
Event sequence: 21
Event occurrence: 1
Event detail code: 0

Application information:
    Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/1/ROOT/ImlToolKit-1-128672014139363343
    Trust level: Full
    Application Virtual Path: /ImlToolKit
    Application Path: E:\inetpub\web\ImlToolKit\
    Machine name: IML-LIGHTNING

Process information:
    Process ID: 2912
    Process name: w3wp.exe
    Account name: IML-LIGHTNING\EATOnlineWPG

Exception information:
    Exception type: HttpParseException
    Exception message: Unknown server tag 'rad:radSplitter'.

Request information:
    Request URL: http://128.206.127.136/ImlToolKit/Default.aspx
    Request path: /ImlToolKit/Default.aspx
    User host address: 128.206.127.6
    User: fallerta
    Is authenticated: True
    Authentication Type: Forms
    Thread account name: IML-LIGHTNING\EATOnlineWPG

Thread information:
    Thread ID: 12
    Thread account name: IML-LIGHTNING\EATOnlineWPG
    Is impersonating: False
    Stack trace:    at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ParseString(String text, VirtualPath virtualPath, Encoding fileEncoding)
   at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ParseFile(String physicalPath, VirtualPath virtualPath)
   at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ParseInternal()
   at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.Parse()
   at System.Web.Compilation.BaseTemplateBuildProvider.get_CodeCompilerType()
   at System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvider.GetCompilerTypeFromBuildProvider(BuildProvider buildProvider)
   at System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvidersCompiler.ProcessBuildProviders()
   at System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvidersCompiler.PerformBuild()
   at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CompileWebFile(VirtualPath virtualPath)
   at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultInternal(VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile)
   at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultWithNoAssert(HttpContext context, VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile)
   at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResult(HttpContext context, VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile)
   at System.Web.UI.MasterPage.CreateMaster(TemplateControl owner, HttpContext context, VirtualPath masterPageFile, IDictionary contentTemplateCollection)
   at System.Web.UI.Page.get_Master()
   at System.Web.UI.Page.ApplyMasterPage()
   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()
   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestWithNoAssert(HttpContext context)
   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
   at ASP.default_aspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) in c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\imltoolkit\d771c100\e92463a\App_Web_akq1vk6n.0.cs:line 0
   at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
   at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

Custom event details:

Adam
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 29 Sep 2008, 11:05 PM
Problem Solved!!!

I viewed the file properties of all the telerik DLLs in my project on the destination server. 

They all had a security block on them stating:

"This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer"

and this message was accompanied with an "Unblock" button.  I unblocked them, verfied directory/file privileges and all seems to work as expected now.
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Adam
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Pavel
Telerik team
Adam
Top achievements
Rank 1