This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Rad Editor in sharepoint 2010

11 Answers 191 Views
Editor
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Anoosha
Top achievements
Rank 1
Anoosha asked on 05 Nov 2012, 11:31 AM
Hi,

I used editor control in visual studio to deploy it as a custom web part in sharepoint 2010. It deployed successfully but when I click on document manager for attachments or to insert picture then it is throwing error (telerik's dialogues require httphandler registration in web.config).
Please help me in this.

11 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Stanimir
Telerik team
answered on 07 Nov 2012, 07:12 AM
Hello Anoosha,

When it comes to SharePoint, we always recommend the usage of the specially designed RadEditor for SharePoint 2010 http://www.telerik.com/help/aspnet-ajax/moss-sp2010-moss-introduction.html. The reason for this is that this control has custom content provider so ti's dialogs can work with SharePoint's libraries. In order to use it you need to install RadControls for SharePoint 2010 package and use the SPEditor class, which is defined in the Telerik.SharePoint namespace of RadEditorSharePoint assembly.

Regards,
Stanimir
the Telerik team
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now.
Anoosha
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 07 Nov 2012, 10:59 AM
Hi,

Thanks for your reply..
But in SharePoint will it support for documents attachment? I tried as you suggested but I am not able to attach documents..

Stanimir
Telerik team
answered on 08 Nov 2012, 08:24 AM
Hello Anoosha,

RadEditorSP dialogs, has access to SharePoint's libraries. Regarding the document attachments. By default the control uses the OOB SharePoint asset picker. However if you prefer you can configure it to use the dialogs provided by Telerik. Review the following online help articles:

Add/Remove tools from the toolbar
Setting ConfigFile and ToolsFile properties for the WCM field
Set Properties Via Config File
Document Manager

Regards,
Stanimir
the Telerik team
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now.
Anoosha
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Nov 2012, 10:10 AM
Hi,

I am not able to see smart tag for rad editor control. I tried by manually adding httphandlers in web.config, but it dint work. Please let me know how to get smart tag for control?
I have added the below tag in <handlers>

<

add name="Telerik.Web.UI.DialogHandler" path="Telerik.Web.UI.DialogHandler.axd" verb="*" type="Telerik.Web.UI.DialogHandler, Telerik.Web.UI" />

Is anything need to add more in web.cnfig file?

Thanks
Anoosha
Rumen
Telerik team
answered on 13 Nov 2012, 03:23 PM
Hi Anoosha,

Could you please clarify whether you use RadEditor for ASP.NET AJAX or RadEditor for SharePoint in your application? If you use the standard RadEditor for ASP.NET AJAX, replace it with RadEditor for SharePoint (SPRadEditor). SPRadEditor automatically configures its dialog handler and its dialogs work without any additional configurations. This means that you should not register the Telerik_Web_UI_DialogHandler_aspx in the web.config file, because the DialogHandlerUrl property of SPRadEditor points to the physical Telerik.Web.UI.DialogHandler.aspx file placed in the \Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\wpresources\RadEditorSharePoint\6.x.0.0__1f131a624888eeed\Resources folder.

Here is a sample web part project with RadEditor for SharePoint 2010: RadEditorWebPart.zip, which you can use as a base to proceed.

Best regards,
Rumen
the Telerik team
Swaroopa
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 10 Dec 2012, 12:03 PM
Hi

I tried to deploy the visual web part to SPS 2010 site. I get 'Unable to import web part' error. Please let me know how to add rad editor to my sharepoint application page.

Thank you.

Stanimir
Telerik team
answered on 11 Dec 2012, 06:15 AM
Hello,

Could you confirm that you followed the instructions in the following online help article: Installing RadEditor & RadGrid Web Parts on SharePoint 2010?

If the msi installer fails try the PowerShell manual installation of the wsp solution. Also you can use the old stsadm tool. Or you can even try deploing the solution through the SharePoint Central Administration site.

Kind regards,
Stanimir
the Telerik team
Swaroopa
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 12 Dec 2012, 05:23 AM
Hi

I am trying to add the rad editor as a control on my application page. The wsp adds a Web part for sharepoint 2010 site.

Design is to add 5-6 controls on my page instead of a simple text area. Could you please help me with that.

Thank you.
Stanimir
Telerik team
answered on 13 Dec 2012, 05:20 AM
Hello,

A few posts below my colleague Rumen has provided a sample visual web part project demonstrating how to use SPRadEditor. This is a specially designed version of RadEditor which has implemented custom content provider allowing the editor's dialogs to work with SharePoint libraries. In order for me to be more specific you can find how the control is used in the CreateChildControls method of the VisualWebPart1 class in the VisualWebPart1.cs file

For your convenience I will attach the sample project here again.

All the best,
Stanimir
the Telerik team
Adrian
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 01 Apr 2013, 02:22 PM
Hi

Similar problems here. Could I please clarify what you appear to be saying in this thread:

- RAD control doesn't not work for SharePoint (regardless of if you register the dialog handlers)
- Only option is to use the SharePoint version and run an installer on our customer farms?
Stanimir
Telerik team
answered on 03 Apr 2013, 05:55 AM
Hi,

RAD control doesn't not work for SharePoint (regardless of if you register the dialog handlers)
- I do not understand which RAD control you are refering. In general all RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX work in SharePoint 2010 farm solutions.

Here is what I am saying:

First I will assume that we are talking about SharePoint 2010 however all the information provided next is applicable in MOSS and SharePoint 2013. Also I am assuming that the question here is the dialogs of the editor.

If you want to use RadEditor for ASP.NET AJAX in SharePoint and you want to access SharePoint libraries in the editor's dialogs you have two options:

1. Use the SPRadEditor class defined in the Telerik.SharePoint name space of the RadEditorSharePoint assembly. This assembly comes with the Telerik_AJAX_Controls_For_Sharepoint2010_xxxx_x_xxx_Dev package (RadControls for SharePoint 2010). In order for this to work you need to be sure that RadControls for SharePoint 2010 are installed on the server, where you are about to deploy you custom solution and use the SPRadEditor control in it. If you do not want to install the entire RadControls for SharePoint package you can use SPRadEditor again but you need to make sure that all the settings in the web.config and all resource files needed for the proper behavior of the control (these are the changes, which are made by the package installer) are present on the server.

2. You can use RadEditor for ASP.NET AJAX, but if you want to access SharePoint library info in the dialogs you will need to add the proper handlers in the web.config and implement your own content provider, which will work with the libraries. What you need to know here is that the handlers in SharePoint should be registered with fully qualified name and with axd extensions instead aspx. Also helpful information on the content provider you can find in the following demo and blog post:
http://demos.telerik.com/aspnet-ajax/editor/examples/dbfilebrowsercontentprovider/defaultcs.aspx
http://blogs.telerik.com/aspnet-ajax/posts/11-05-26/using-the-radfileexplorer-for-asp-net-ajax-in-sharepoint-2010-web-parts.aspx

You can also use RadEditor for ASP.NET AJAX dialogs without implementing content provider, but you will not have access to the SharePoint's libraries. Wou will be using the default file system provider and probably access folders such as _layouts or _wpresources.

Kind regards,
Stanimir
the Telerik team
Tags
Editor
Asked by
Anoosha
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Stanimir
Telerik team
Anoosha
Top achievements
Rank 1