This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Rad Combo Box bind with 50,000 records

2 Answers 185 Views
ComboBox
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Alexis
Top achievements
Rank 1
Alexis asked on 27 Jun 2011, 08:02 AM
Hi Team,
 We are using Rad Combo boxes in my screen, I need to bind 50,000 records into a a combo box2 depending on the value selected in a combo box1. while binding Page is getting hanged. We are using Stored Procedure to bind the values into combo box2. Please give any suggestion on this ASAP.

Thanks
Alexis A

2 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Princy
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 27 Jun 2011, 09:23 AM

Hello Alexis,

The best approach to optimize the performance speed of Telerik RadComboBox when using huge amount of items is using the load-on-demand feature.  The load-on-demand mechanism loads the items only when the user types or clicks in the field or the drop-arrow image. It filters the Items server-side before they are loaded in the control and the Filter feature performs filtering at client-side. And I recommend you to retrieve data in portions - with use of ShowMoreResultsBox and VirtualScrolling options.

Take a look at the this demo which demonstrates the various Load On Demand Modes.

Thanks,
Princy.
Cat Cheshire
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 27 Jun 2011, 09:26 AM
In general it is not recommended to load such enormous amount of items in combobox.
No matter whether you use Load On Demand or not - it is obvious that with 50 000 items you will face a performance issue.
Tags
ComboBox
Asked by
Alexis
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Princy
Top achievements
Rank 2
Cat Cheshire
Top achievements