I'm a new user of your controls. I have been studying the documentation for the RadGrid, and find that it is terribly lacking in the basic content needed to understand how to use this control.
I placed a RadGrid on a form, configured a few columns and supplied it with a datasource. Many columns from the datasource are hidden in the grid. When I click the link to add a new record, only the columns configured as visible appear in the resulting dropdown form.
1. Is it possible to configure this dropdown form to contain the columns/fields necessary to fully describe the new record?
2. If so, can this be done in the control's designer? If so, how?
3. Is it possible to validate user entry into the fields in the add new record dropdown form? If so, please describe in detail the steps I need to take to accomplish this.
4. Is it possible to configure validation in the designer for the RadGrid control?
Space limitations dictate that there is no room in the grid for additional columns, such as Edit and Delete. Therefore, I assume I need to configure a CommandItemTemplate which adds new buttons to the toolbar above the grid. I have done this.
1. Is it possible to code the custom buttons to behave precisely as when clicking the built-in edit and delete columns?
2. If so, please describe the exact steps I need to take to effect this. As before, please describe if and how the control designer may be used to do this. For example code, please note that I use VB.Net.
Visibility of the buttons:
I used Example 1 from http://docs.telerik.com/devtools/aspnet-ajax/controls/grid/data-editing/commanditem/command-item-template#custom-commanditemtemplate. I fail to see a good reason for the Edit and Delete buttons being visible unless one or more rows is selected in the grid. If there is a good reason for this, please let me know. Is it simply a matter of preference?
1. Please describe how I may control button visiblity based upon the count of selected rows in the grid.
I note that the Delete button from the sample includes
CommandName="DeleteSelected". When I select a row and click the button,
the record is not deleted. The grid is bound to a SqlDataSource. I assume that the delete command would remove the selected record(s) from the datasource, then effect an Update against the database.
1. How is basic CRUD done when using custom buttons in the toolbar?
2. How is basic CRUD done when using the built-in command columns?
I note that a RadGrid contains one or more views. I also note that, in the designer, there are some identical options for both the Grid and the MasterTableView. It seems that one must at times make use of the options associated with the Grid and, at other times, make use of those associated with the MasterTableView.
1. How am I supposed to know which of the duplicate options to use? Which one actually effects the desired behavior?
2. Is my perception correct that the use of these options in the designer is inconsistently applied?