This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Q3.1010 : RadButton, Embedded Icons, and PNG Transparency

3 Answers 107 Views
Button
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Sébastien
Top achievements
Rank 2
Sébastien asked on 21 Feb 2011, 11:55 AM
Hi Telerik Team !

Most of our users are using IE6, but we would like to use the Embedded Icons as available in RadButton. The Icons doesn't display well. Is there is any know remedy ?

Cheers,

S.F.

3 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Sébastien
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 22 Feb 2011, 11:55 AM
You didn't test any solution to remedy this problem ?
There is still the possibility to apply any PNG-Fix locally but did you tested it with RadButton ?
Accepted
Bozhidar
Telerik team
answered on 22 Feb 2011, 03:20 PM
Hi Sébastien,

No, we do not dropping IE6 support and testing, but as you know this browser is quite old, and we can not stop the further developing of the controls just because IE6 is still in usage. More and more people are using IE7, IE8, which are also not so nice to the web standards, but are much better than IE6. Also we have really modern browsers like Firefox, Opera, Safari and Chrome, and also the future release of IE9.  It is really hard to develop the controls in a modern way and in the same time to support in 100% IE6, which is really poor in the CSS support. We do our best to keep the cross-browser support in a good level for all major browsers, but we also want to make the controls better. And if we develop them thinking in first place for IE6, it will not gonna work.

As for the RadButton embedded icons, we prefer not to use the png fix as CSS filters cause a lot of conflicts, we are trying to limit the filter usage. We have created the set of embedded icons as 24 bit png sprite which looks great in all major browsers except IE6.

We did not put a fix for IE6 in order to keep the control size small. If you need to use it in IE6 you could export the embedded sprite icons as 8 bit png or gif file and to overwrite the CSS.

For your convenience, I am attaching the 16x16 sprites exported to 8bit png and bellow is the necessary CSS to be used for IE6:

<style type="text/css">
        *html .rbAdd,
        *html .rbRemove,
        *html .rbOk,
        *html .rbCancel,
        *html .rbPrevious,
        *html .rbNext,
        *html .rbSave,
        *html .rbConfig,
        *html .rbRefresh,
        *html .rbEdit
        {
            background-image: url("rbBasicIcons16x16IE6.png") !important;
        }

*html .rbUpload,
        *html .rbDownload,
        *html .rbOpen,
        *html .rbAttach,
        *html .rbPrint,
        *html .rbSearch,
        *html .rbHelp,
        *html .rbCart,
        *html .rbRSS,
        *html .rbMail,
        *html .rbFB,
        *html .rbTwitter
        {
            background-image: url("rbExtendedIcons16x16IE6.png") !important;
        }
    </style>

Greetings,
Bojo
the Telerik team
Registration for Q1 2011 What’s New Webinar Week is now open. Mark your calendar for the week starting March 21st and book your seat for a walk through all the exciting stuff we ship with the new release!
Sébastien
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 22 Feb 2011, 03:55 PM
Thank you very much for this solution.
I share your point of view about IE6, and I am happy with this solution : the icons are less bad than before and it's enough for me because at least it doesn't look a bug.

I attach a screenshot of the solution.
Tags
Button
Asked by
Sébastien
Top achievements
Rank 2
Answers by
Sébastien
Top achievements
Rank 2
Bozhidar