This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Q1 2009 RELEASE BUG

14 Answers 373 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Jim
Top achievements
Rank 1
Jim asked on 13 Mar 2009, 09:22 PM

14 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Jim
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 13 Mar 2009, 11:15 PM

Brett
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 14 Mar 2009, 07:41 AM
I'm busy uninstalling VS 2008 as I type this. Already had the Q1 2009 ASP.NET AJAX controls installation break my framework twice. System.Runtime.Serialization error. Tried re-installing 3.0. & 3.5 SP1 and then Telerik again but no luck so I now I'm going to reinstall VS, .NET frameworks from scratch and then try again.

I've seen quite a few people are having installation issues. Telerik, any news on this?

It's not a corrupt downloaded file. It installed fine on my 2nd machine.
Nir
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 16 Mar 2009, 10:05 AM
I had the same issue using .NET 2.0, for some reason installing .NET 3.5 SP1 solved the issue.
Ivo
Telerik team
answered on 16 Mar 2009, 12:41 PM
Hi all,

We have been trying to reproduce this error for several days now and we could not replicate the problem on any configuration. It seems there is something specific in your setups that we are missing. Other people who have reported this problem in the forums (and on forums.asp.net) seem to have solved it with a framework reinstall.

Can you please open a support ticket and send us more detailed info on how you reproduced the error and what specific environment you have? We can also host a web meeting and remote connect to any of your machines so that we can further investigate the problem. Please let us know if you are available for a more detailed investigation.

Here are the details we are investigating:
  • System configuration: what is the OS, what framework versions are installed, what versions of Visual Studio are installed, service packs, etc.
  • Delete Temporary ASP.NET files (C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files) and see if it helps
  • Check if any .NET configuration files are changed (C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\) after RadControls installation
  • Check if the error happens on all sites or only some configurations (e.g. only IIS or Cassini, only 2.0 sites or 3.5, etc.)
Thank you in advance and sorry for any inconvenience we have caused.

In the meantime you can temporarily use the manual (.zip) installation download from our website.

Regards,
Ivo
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Check out the tips for optimizing your support resource searches.
Jim
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 16 Mar 2009, 06:11 PM

n
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 17 Mar 2009, 06:18 PM
I have Vs2005 .net framework 3.0 SP 1installed on my machine. I was using telerik 2007 controls and installed the Q1 2009.
I get the system diagnostic error when i try to run my old projects.  After looking at the posts i uninstalled 3.0SP1 and reisntalled . Still see the same error. Any help in this regard is appreciated.
tentonipete
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 18 Mar 2009, 10:27 AM
I was using Q3 2008 and installed Q1 2009 and got the same error as reported above for ALL of my existing projects.

I am using XP SP2 and VS2008 with .net 3.5

I removed the Q1 2009 installation and applied .net 3.5 SP1 and that seemed to rectify the situation.

But now I am back using Q3 2008. This really shouldn't happen. I've been unproductive at work for the last hour.
Ivo
Telerik team
answered on 19 Mar 2009, 11:29 AM
Hello all,

I am pleased to inform you that the issue has been reproduced and resolved immediately. You might hit this problem only if you do not have the latest SP2 of .NET 3.0 or SP1 of .NET 3.5.

The new builds have been tested on a wide range of different environments and they behave as expected. We have updated the install packages in the downloads section of all accounts (everything in the distributions is the same, we have just added an extra check during the installation process so that we cover this specific case)

Latest Internal Build is also available.

If you still experience any problems with the new install packages please report them and we will address them ASAP.

For those of you who have already hit this case please (re)install .NET 3.5 SP1 and the problem will be solved.

I want to once again thank you all for your involvement and express our sincere apologies for any inconvenience we have caused. I want to assure you that we are doing our best to provide stable and predictable installations and this is an isolated case where we have failed to perform as expected in this specific environment.

Best wishes,
Ivo Nedkov
Unit Manager, RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX
Telerik team

Helen
Telerik team
answered on 19 Mar 2009, 04:11 PM
Hello all,

A quick follow-up. We found an alternative solution so you will not have to (re)install the whole .NET 3.5 SP1. Just replace the two DLL files attached to this thread(they are in the GAC).
Here are the steps:
1. Close all Visual Studio instances and all applications. 
2. Download and unzip the attached files to some location(c:\Files for example).
3. Open the Visual Studio command prompt.
4. Go to c:\Files directory(cd \Files)
5. Use the gacutil /if file_name to replace both System.Runtime.Serialization.dll and SMdiagnostics.dll files.
(you should execute both gacutil /if System.Runtime.Serialization.dll and gacutil /if SMdiagnostics.dll)

Kind regards,
Helen
the Telerik team

Jim
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 19 Mar 2009, 09:26 PM

Ivo
Telerik team
answered on 20 Mar 2009, 08:01 AM
Hello Jim,

Please, excuse us if the messages were not clear.

The problem that you (and a few other customers) have hit was only possible if you did not have SP2 of .NET 3.0 or SP1 of .NET 3.5. If you had them, you would not have experienced the problem.

If you have experienced the issue you will either have to (re)install .NET 3.5 SP1 or just replace the two DLLs as Helen suggested. Any of these two options will fix the problem, replacing the two DLLs is just easier.

All product downloads are fixed now and everyone downloading and running the installer now will not see the issue even if he does not have the latest SPs of the framework.

Please let me know if anything is still unclear.

Sincerely yours,
Ivo
the Telerik team

Jim
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 20 Mar 2009, 04:11 PM

Jim
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 20 Mar 2009, 04:48 PM

Whatever,

I have removed all my comments since "you have it resolved".

pat
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 22 Mar 2009, 01:49 PM
Hi,
i did face the so-called bug after installing Q1 2009 Trial version of RadControls( Ajax).
It started throwing the following error for all the asp.net applications hosted on my machine:

System.ServiceModel.Diagnostics.DiagnosticTrace..ctor(System.ServiceModel.Diagnostics.TraceSourceKind, System.String, System.String)

I would like to share the way i used to get rid of this error and really i eliminated all the errors.
Here it is..
I have .NET 2.0 framework and visual studio 2005 on my system with windows xp professional.

I found that with the installation of Q1 2009 RadControls for asp.net ajax, it modified the web.config file in the C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\CONFIG
by adding
 <add extension=".svc" type="System.ServiceModel.Activation.ServiceBuildProvider, System.ServiceModel, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089"/>

<add path="*.svc" verb="*" type="System.ServiceModel.Activation.HttpHandler, System.ServiceModel, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" validate="false"/>

<add name="ServiceModel" type="System.ServiceModel.Activation.HttpModule, System.ServiceModel, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089"/>
in different sections like <assemblies>,<httpmodules>.
Similarly there was type: IdentityModel with version=3.0.0.0 in httpmodules section.

After removing these tags from system's web.config, all hurdles just got disappeared.

Though, it seems a non-universal solution for such issue but at least people having .NET 2.0 can try this out to have the relief, i had.
Hope at the same time that telerik will take such issues with its products serieously as people like me to who get fascinated to use its control eying for greater look and wide range of functionality at both ends, sometimes end up troubleshooting the never expected issue and getting the already well-working applications adversely affected due to this.

Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Jim
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Jim
Top achievements
Rank 1
Brett
Top achievements