This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Problem while connecting to Oracle DB using Report Designer Q2 2014 and VS Express 2012 for Web

8 Answers 328 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Sree Harshavardhana
Top achievements
Rank 1
Sree Harshavardhana asked on 01 Oct 2014, 06:27 AM
Hi,

We have installed Report Designer Q2 2014, Visual Studio Express 2012 for Web and Oracle DB 11g. Right now I am able to design a report, connect to the Oracle DB by using SqlDataSource and able to preview the report contents as well.

Now in Visual Studio Web Forms Solutions, I have couple of issues:

Issue 1:

When I added the Telerik controls to Toolbox section from 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Telerik\Reporting Q2 2014\Bin\Telerik.Reporting.dll', it added all the controls but only ReportViewer is enabled and rest are disabled. In my understanding I cannot use any Telerik controls except the ReportViewer, why is these disabled?

Issue 2:

I have added the ReportViewer to my aspx page and have set the ReportSource to the .trdx file I designed. When I run that web page to view the report I am keep getting a error as below:

-----------
An
error has occurred while processing Table 'table1':
A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing
a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not
accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server
is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes
Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)
------------- InnerException -------------
The network path was not found
--------------

As I had read in one of the thread (sorry I am not able to get that thread link) that, we need to install ODP.Net to connect to the Oracle DB from VS.Net. So I had installed the ODP.Net (ODAC121012) as well. But still I am getting the same error. One thing, I am not able to understand is, even though I have connected the Report to Orcle DB, why in the error it's says that 'Could not open the connection to SQL Server'.

Can some one please guide me on this as earliest?

Regards,

Sree Harshavardhana

8 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Hinata
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 03 Oct 2014, 02:03 PM
Hi Sree,

Issue 1: You don't need to add the Toolbox controls manually. They are added to the appropriate places automatically after you install Telerik Reporting and run Visual Studio. Note that not all of the controls should be available, depending on the currently opened item in VS. For example, only the WebForms Report Viewer is available when you are inside a Web Form. The report items (Table, TextBox, Crosstab, Graph, etc.) are available only when a report is opened in the Report Designer. Thus, the described behavior by you seems to be correct.

Issue 2: I feel this issue is not related to Reporting, but you should consider checking the connection strings which are stored in the report or in the Class Library where the report is located. You should copy these connection string in your application configuration file and make sure they are correct. Otherwise, the report will not be able to connect to the data base. More information on the providers can be found in the SqlDataSource Component help article.
Sree Harshavardhana
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 06 Oct 2014, 05:57 AM
Hi Hardik,

Thanks for the reply. :)

For Issue 1, you have mentioned that I can open the reports in the Report Designer mode. When I have installed the Telerik Reports, if I am not wrong I should be able see a menu called Telerik Reports on VS menu's right, but I am not able to see that as well. So, in that case I cannot open the report file in Report Designer. Why is this would be?

On Issue 2,

>> you should consider checking the connection strings which are stored in the report or in the Class Library where the report is located.

Are you saying that the connection name and connection string which is used to Connect the SQLDatasource? If yes, then I have given the same connection name on both Telerik Reporting and in my web config as well. Please see the attached screen shots.

In first image which has the Telerik connection setting and second has Web Config connection setting.

If you look at the Telerik connection setting, the provide is Oracle.ManagedDataAccess which I have used connect to Oracle using ODP.Net. At the same time, when open the connection in Edit mode the (third screen shot), by default the Data Source says that it has selected as .Net Framework Data Provider for SQL Server. But it should have been selected ODP.Net connection provider right? Even when i tried to change the provider I could not see any provide for ODP.Net. Is there any other settings do I need to apply or is that issue I installed the ODP.Net drivers after the Telerik installed (it's just my doubt) ?

I suspect due to this, when ever I try to run the report on Web site, it's trying to connect to SQL Server Db and throwing error.

Regards,

Sree Harshavardhana
Sree Harshavardhana
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 06 Oct 2014, 07:39 AM
Hi Hardik,

I would like to share that issue 2 has been resolved. In my Web config connection string, I added the Provide Name with 'Oracle.ManagedDataAccess.Client' and it resolved the issue and now I am able to view my report on the Web application. Thanks for your help.

If you can give me some info on issue 1 it would be great!

Regards,

Sree Harshavardhana
Accepted
Hinata
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 08 Oct 2014, 01:06 PM
Hi Sree,

Reporting might not be installed correctly on your machine. You can find help on this in the end of the article Visual Studio Problems.
Sree Harshavardhana
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 08 Oct 2014, 01:07 PM
Hi,

Can some please tell me why the Telerik menu is not been visible in VS 2014 Express for Web, it's very urgent at the moment?

Regards,

Sree Harshavardhana
Accepted
Nasko
Telerik team
answered on 08 Oct 2014, 01:10 PM
Hello Sree,

Visual Studio Express editions are not supported. More information on the topic can be found in our System Requirements page.

Regards,
Nasko
Telerik

Check out the Telerik Platform - the only platform that combines a rich set of UI tools with powerful cloud services to develop web, hybrid and native mobile apps.

Sree Harshavardhana
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 08 Oct 2014, 01:14 PM
Hi Hardik,

Sorry, did not see your post and I added my post. Will have a look and check, thanks!

Regards,

Sree Harshavardhana
Sree Harshavardhana
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Oct 2014, 09:21 AM
Hi Nasko,

Thanks for your reply. Will download the VS Professional edition and try with Telerik, hope the VS Trial version would support.

Regards,

Sree Harshavardhana.
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Sree Harshavardhana
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Hinata
Top achievements
Rank 1