This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Problem getting VS2008 to reference new Telerik.Web.UI.dll 2008 Q1 SP2

4 Answers 585 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Mark
Top achievements
Rank 1
Mark asked on 26 Jun 2008, 01:46 AM
Hi

I manage to successfully update from 2008 Q1 SP1 --> 2008 Q1 SP2.

In VS2008 my bin folder has a Telerik.Web.UI.dll.refresh that correctly points to the installed V2008.1.619.35

However whenever I build I get the following:

"Warning: Unable to update auto-refresh reference 'telerik.web.ui.dll'. Unable to add 'C:\Program Files\Telerik\RadControls for ASPNET AJAX Q1 2008\Bin35\Telerik.Web.UI.dll' to the Web site.  Unable to add file 'Bin\telerik.web.ui.dll'.  The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."

As such my dll always goes back to V2008.1.515.35.

I've tried restarting VS2008, restarting my computer, but I still get this error.

I checked the attributes and the dll is definitely read/write.

What am I doing wrong here?

Kind regards

Mark Eaton

4 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Daniel
Telerik team
answered on 30 Jun 2008, 09:57 AM
Hi Mark,

Please check the following article: (ID#503) Updating RadControls for ASP.NET to another version or license

Alternatively you could try these steps:
1) Check your webconfig for items pointing to the older version.
2) Delete the .refresh file.
3) Remove the reference to Telerik.Web.UI and add it again.

If none of this helps please try to download ProcessExplorer from Microsoft, check which process uses your DLL and let us know.

Please let us know whether you are still in need of assistance.

Kind regards,
Daniel
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions at the new Telerik Support Center
James Van Buren
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 14 Jul 2008, 02:34 PM
Hello, i am updating to 2008.1.619 from 2008.1.415

I deleted the reference to old dll, and added to a new dll, now the file in my bin folder and the item in the references point to correct version. When i try to run project i get the error that something is still using the older version. 

Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Web.UI, Version=2008.1.415.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=121fae78165ba3d4' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)

Tthe only thing i can see in my solution, is portion under <httpHandlers>

<

httpHandlers>

<

remove path="*.asmx" verb="*" />

<

add path="*.asmx" verb="*" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"

validate="false" />
<
add path="*_AppService.axd" verb="*" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"validate="false" />

<
add path="ScriptResource.axd" verb="GET,HEAD" type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptResourceHandler, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" validate="false" />

<

add path="Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource.axd" verb="*" type="Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource, Telerik.Web.UI, Version=2008.1.415.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=121fae78165ba3d4"

validate="false" />

<

add path="Telerik.Web.UI.DialogHandler.aspx" verb="*" type="Telerik.Web.UI.DialogHandler, Telerik.Web.UI, Version=2008.1.415.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=121fae78165ba3d4"

validate="false" />

<

add path="Telerik.Web.UI.SpellCheckHandler.axd" verb="*" type="Telerik.Web.UI.SpellCheckHandler, Telerik.Web.UI, Version=2008.1.415.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=121fae78165ba3d4"

validate="false" />

</

httpHandlers>

<

httpModules>

<

add name="ScriptModule" type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptModule, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>

</

httpModules>

If i change them manualy to a new version 2008.1.619.20 or remove the version as you suggest i dont get my error anymore but get another error

Unable to cast object of type 'System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingScriptResourceHandlerSection' to type 'System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingScriptResourceHandlerSection'.

I am running vs2008 3.5

Any suggestions????

James Van Buren
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 14 Jul 2008, 06:29 PM
I undon my manual changes to WEB.config.
I belive i fixed this problem by delting the DLL fron Bin, deleting reference from project to older version of Telerik.Web.UI dll.
Added refferece to a new DLL.

It did not work, so i also went trought the pages and stated reAdding different controls,  that were already on the page. I guess some of this triggered a change so i no longer have error messages.

I am still not 100% sure what have i done now that worked, or what was i doing before that i had error.
What i did beofre again is deleted refference to older dll, deleted from BIn, added refference to a new DLL.
And it did not work!
Daniel
Telerik team
answered on 15 Jul 2008, 09:59 AM
Hi James,

Please follow these steps:
1) Delete the whole section HttpHandlers.
2) Go to Design mode and click on the smart tag of the RadScriptManager
3) Select Register Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource.axd

Kind Regards,
Daniel
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions at the new Telerik Support Center
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Mark
Top achievements
Rank 1