This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object

15 Answers 559 Views
WebParts for SharePoint
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Klaus
Top achievements
Rank 1
Klaus asked on 09 Oct 2007, 12:00 PM
I'm looking for a tool that enhances the RTE and found radEditor that looks like something what I need. So today I downloaded the zip 4.4.0 and tried to install it but failed directly.

Run:
stsadm -o addsolution -filename RadEditorMOSS.wsp

Got this message:
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
RadEditorMOSS.wsp: The Solution installation failed.

Where do I look for a solution?

Cheers,
Klaus

15 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Maximo Martinez
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Oct 2007, 08:21 PM
This only means one thing. You don't have enough permission to deploy solutions.

It doesn't matter if you're the local or domain admin. You must have administrative rights within Sharepoint. Are you a farm administrator?

-MM
Klaus
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Oct 2007, 08:42 PM
I thought I had enough rights, have to ask the one who I know has...

Thanks för the quick answer.

~Klaus
Klaus
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 10 Oct 2007, 07:01 AM
I'm in the farm admingroup..
Klaus
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Oct 2007, 01:17 PM
Are there any other requirements that need to be set or installed.

I can't get this to be installed and do not know what to look for.

Please help me,
Klaus
Lini
Telerik team
answered on 16 Oct 2007, 11:48 AM
Hi Klaus,

As it was already mentioned, this error is pretty generic and it could mean a number of things. First you need to verify that the currently logged in windows user has administrative rights on the machine/SharePoint server. Sometimes changing the date format from the default US English dd/MM/yyyy will produce the same error.

I suggest that you do a web search about this problem - stsadm addsolution and "Object reference not set to an instance of an object".

Greetings,
Lini
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions at the new Telerik Support Center
Klaus
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 16 Oct 2007, 01:21 PM
SOLVED:
My Computer -> Manage -> Added myself to WSS_RESTRICTED_WPG (Group for the Windows SharePoint Services farm administrator. This group is required for the WSS Administration Service to function.)

I thought it was enough to be in the Farm Administrators group i SharePoint Central Administration.

Thanks for helping me everyone...
Bob
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 07 Nov 2007, 10:53 PM
I am adding the RadEditorMoss on my last server (of four.)  The other three were successful and were suppose to be set up relativey similar (production/Test vs Internet/Intranet).  This last server is the production intranet site.

I did the 'stsadm -o addsolution -filename RadEditorMOSS.wsp' and I get the:
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
RadEditorMOSS.wsp: The Solution installation failed.

I am a Farm Administrator. (it worked on the other three sites)
Any ideas on how do I fix it?

Thanks
Georgi Tunev
Telerik team
answered on 08 Nov 2007, 01:45 PM
Hi Bob,

Have you tried all the steps in this thread?
e.g

1. If your system is not US-English, to set the date format to mm/dd/yyyy
  2. Make sure that you are using the Admin account for the MS Windows OS on the server

If this doesn't help, can you please provide more details about the problematic server - is it a domain controller, what is different with it compared to the other 3 servers, etc.

Kind regards,
Georgi Tunev
the Telerik team

Bob
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 08 Nov 2007, 01:56 PM
I did some more investigtion after I posted my plea.  It seems all servers are not alike.  On the server, in the application event log I received:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Windows SharePoint Services 3
Event Category: Database
Event ID: 3760
Date: 11/7/2007
Time: 9:47:35 PM
User: N/A
Computer: INTRANET01
Description:
SQL Database 'SharePoint_AdminContent_414e0413-25b0-4f5d-99dc-b73171573029' on SQL Server instance 'sql01\MOSS' not found. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below.

Cannot open database "SharePoint_AdminContent_414e0413-25b0-4f5d-99dc-b73171573029" requested by the login. The login failed.

Login failed for user 'NT\xxxxxxx'.

When I received the subscription to this thread, I was looking for where this security was set.  The person that set the servers up in not presently available.  You know off the top of your head?

Thanks for your response.

Georgi Tunev
Telerik team
answered on 08 Nov 2007, 04:39 PM
Hi Bob,

Since the error message says the xxxxx user does not have permissions to access the corresponding database, I would suggest to temporary add the 'NT\xxxxxxx' login (if you have access to the SQL management of course) to the SQL Server so it will be able to access the MOSS database. Once the editor's deployment is finished, you can remove the access.

All the best,
Georgi Tunev
the Telerik team

Bob
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 08 Nov 2007, 04:41 PM
Followup:  The SQL guy was able to get me access to 'SharePoint_AdminContent_...' and I was able to add the solution.

Yee Ha....
Lini
Telerik team
answered on 09 Nov 2007, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the follow-up. I am sure that this thread will be useful for others, who stumble on the same problem in the future.

Lini
the Telerik team

Shala
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 26 Mar 2009, 12:12 PM
I am having a similar problem except i got to add the solution but my portal is now not loading even after i did the IISReset.
I tried retracting or deleting the solution and now I am getting the same error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

any suggestions?
Lini
Telerik team
answered on 30 Mar 2009, 08:00 AM
Hi,

Open the server's event log and get the details for the exception. The information in the application log should be sufficient to determine what is causing the problem.

Sincerely yours,
Lini
the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer , the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.
Hossein Jabbarzadeh
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 03 Nov 2010, 05:29 PM
Hi ,
I got the same issue in an client environment that I was working. here was the issue. I checked Event Log and notice there is an error mentioning that I don't have enough right to Content database (even though I was in Farm Admin Group) As soon as I given proper access to sharepoint admin content database I could add the wsp to the solutions. So lesson learn check Event Log first, it might shed a light to the solution.

Thanks
HJ
Tags
WebParts for SharePoint
Asked by
Klaus
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Maximo Martinez
Top achievements
Rank 1