This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Newbie question re VS2005 vs VS2008

1 Answer 32 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Robert Gray
Top achievements
Rank 1
Robert Gray asked on 20 Feb 2009, 09:06 AM
I'm watching the Telerik Trainer videos (which are GREAT by the way) and things don't seem to be right on my system.  I'm running VS2008 on Vista.  For example, the video suggests you start with the "ASP.NET AJAX Enabled Web Site" template so you automatically get the ScriptManager control. I believe I've already confirmed that this template is not included in VS2008 for .NET 3.5 projects.

I'm watching "An Overview of the RadComboBox (part 1)" and following along by building my own project connected to my own DB.  I have the combo talking to the DB (very cool!) but then he adds 2 label controls to the page and hooks one up to show the selected value based on the "SelectedIndexChanged" event.  To do this he selects the combobox and clicks the lightning bolt icon at the top of the properties box.  I don't have a lightning bolt icon. 

So how do I create a function to do what he is doing in the video with the current version?

Thanks so much!

- Robert

[UPDATE]
Well, I've burned some hours trying to work this out.  Finally I rebooted my PC (for other reasons) and when I go back in the project the lightning bolt iconis there.  I closed VS and reopened the project several times as I was playing with it so I don't think VS was locked up.  I'm not sure why it came back after a reboot.  Weird that one element of the UI would disappear.  Anyway, I worked it out.

1 Answer, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Veselin Vasilev
Telerik team
answered on 23 Feb 2009, 01:43 PM
Hi Robert Gray,

It is really strange that you did not have that in the Properties window. I am glad it is ok now.

You are right about the ASP.NET Ajax-Enabled Web Site template - it is available only in Visual Studio 2005 (after you install the Ajax Extensions). By default VS2008 creates all new sites as Ajax-enabled which means the web.config file is configured automatically but does not add ScriptManager by default.

Please check this blog post on the matter.

Sincerely yours,
Veselin Vasilev
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Check out the tips for optimizing your support resource searches.
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Robert Gray
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Veselin Vasilev
Telerik team
Share this question
or