This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

New Control Suggestion

6 Answers 80 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Peter Zolja
Top achievements
Rank 1
Peter Zolja asked on 24 Jun 2008, 03:14 AM
Hi,

Here's a suggestion for a new control: It would be nice to have a control that would be equivalent of the ListView in Windows. I'm more interested in the thumbnail view of the ListView (the right panel of the Windows Explorer). It should allow me to do the following

1) Have a template for the cells in the list. I would specify the width and height for cells; all cells would have the same widht and height.
2) Would be nice if these elements would align themselves inside the list so if I resize the list it would automatically fit more items in one row. If this is not possible, then at least allow me to specify how many items in a row I want.
3) Allow multiple selection and also group selection (similar to how we select files in Windows Explorer)
4) Drag and drop

What do you guys think? Is this possible with a existing Telerik control? The closest I can think of is the tree, but I can't have more than one item in a row with the tree.

Are we to expect new controls (even if not this one) from Telerik in the months to come or are you guys in the polishing phase?

Thanks.

6 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Sebastian
Telerik team
answered on 24 Jun 2008, 07:34 AM
Hi Peter,

Thank you for the feedback - it is really appreciated. Indeed we plan to develop RadListView control for our ASP.NET AJAX suite in one of its future versions (although an exact timeframe for it is not discussed yet). I suggest you review the following thread in our public forums which elaborates on the same subject:

http://www.telerik.com/community/forums/thread/b311D-bdttga.aspx

Once again, thank you for sharing your comments/thoughts about the features you will find most useful in this new control.

Best regards,
Stephen
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions at the new Telerik Support Center
Peter Zolja
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 24 Jun 2008, 05:01 PM
I'm not sure if the suggestion in that thread is the same as what I'm talking about. Here's a control from a different company that does a lot of the things I would like to see:

http://www.extjs.com/deploy/dev/examples/organizer/organizer.html

I hope this helps.

Sebastian
Telerik team
answered on 25 Jun 2008, 06:51 AM
Hello Peter,

I think that a future release of RadListView control should cover this scenario as well (using templates for the RadListView elements and nesting images inside). In addition to this we will consider the options to implement multiple selection/group selection, paging and skinning.  Thank you again for the feedback.

We will appreciate if you follow-up this post with other features that you will find helpful. Other community members are welcome to take part in this discussion, too.

Best regards,
Stephen
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions at the new Telerik Support Center
Peter Zolja
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 03 Dec 2008, 12:12 AM
Any update on this? (I could really use that control right now :)
Sebastian
Telerik team
answered on 04 Dec 2008, 03:50 PM
Hi Peter,

You can consider this approach to simulate ListView-like appearance and keep features like grouping, sorting, filtering, etc. which are built-in in RadGrid.

Kind regards,
Sebastian
the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer, the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.
Peter Zolja
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 04 Dec 2008, 04:20 PM
Does this mean there won't be a RadListView control? The RadGrid approach is more of a hack. Will new version of RadGrid support this type of layout natively? I would need the ability to select multiple items like in a real list view (see the extjs example); the layout is just a small part of the equation.
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Peter Zolja
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Sebastian
Telerik team
Peter Zolja
Top achievements
Rank 1