This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

.net core cross-platform development workload required for VS2019

7 Answers 614 Views
Installer and VS Extensions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Bruce
Top achievements
Rank 1
Bruce asked on 17 Oct 2019, 08:03 PM

Just an FYI for anyone who encounters the same issue i did.

I wanted to use Telerik UI for .Net Core however in VS2019, only the MVC options were available.

I checked the Progress Installer, but the option to enable VS2019 support was disabled in the Progress Installer.

The info tooltip says: "Requires Microsoft Visual Studio 2019 with .net core cross-platform development workload"

So I reran the VS Installer, but I had already installed the .net core cross-platform workload previously.

After googling and finding nothing online, I tried the VS installer again. I checked individual components.

I saw that core 3 sdk wasn't selected. I added that and scrolled through the full list looking for anything that may have to do with the latest .net core framework and web development.

After that was done, the Progress Installer option to support VS 2019 was available.

So if you have a similar issue, check the individual components tab on the VS installer.

Thanks,

Bruce

7 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Yana
Telerik team
answered on 22 Oct 2019, 02:13 PM

Hi Bruce,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

In the latest version of Visual Studio 2019 there was a change in the Required components for the .NET Cross-platform development workload and the component our product require is not installed by default. Due to this fact, we have improved the Telerik UI for ASP.NET Core Visual Studio extensions prerequisites so as the detection to be for the whole workload not for some individual components. The changes will be released till the end of the week with R3 2019 SP1 release of UI for ASP.NET Core product.

However, thank you for taking the time to research the issue and share with us your solution. Due to the fact that we highly appreciate it, I have updated the amount of the Telerik points in your account.

Please do not hesitate to contact us in case you have any further ideas for improving our products.

Regards,
Yana
Progress Telerik

Get quickly onboarded and successful with your Telerik and/or Kendo UI products with the Virtual Classroom free technical training, available to all active customers. Learn More.
Bruce
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 22 Oct 2019, 02:39 PM

Awesome.

Thank you :)

Per
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 01 Nov 2019, 10:51 AM

I have VS Enterprise 2019 16.3.7 and have downloaded the latest Progress Control Panel (ProgressControlPanelSetupA_2019_3_0705_1) and I still cant add Telerik UI for .NET Core 2019.3.1023, the VS2019 is still grayed out.

What i noticed is that the Progress setup doesn't install the panel (I cant find it in installed apps anymore) it looks more like a application rather than an installer... Do I download wrong file?

Yana
Telerik team
answered on 04 Nov 2019, 02:52 PM

Hi Per,

Thank you for your cooperation.

Based on the provided details, we were not able to reproduce the described behavior by our side. Could you please help us to investigate it further by share some more details such as:

1. Could you please double-check if the required .NET Cross-platform development workload is installed? Some screenshots of the installed workloads and their related individual components will be highly appreciated.
  2. Could you also please send us some screenshots of the issue in Progress Control Panel? What is the message when hovering on the question mark near the grayed-out Visual Studio 2019 feature?

When it comes to the installation of the Progress Control Panel, it will install itself only after some actions with the Telerik products are performed, such as install, modify, upgrade, etc.

Our Control Panel also could be installed through its stand-alone installer. For your convenience, I have attached the Progress-ControlPanel.zip file which contains the offline installer of the Progress Control Panel latest version. If you prefer this approach, could you please try to download it, unzip it, install it and let us know in case any further assistance is needed?

I am looking forward to your feedback.

Regards,
Yana
Progress Telerik

Get quickly onboarded and successful with your Telerik and/or Kendo UI products with the Virtual Classroom free technical training, available to all active customers. Learn More.
Per
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 05 Nov 2019, 03:27 PM

Hmm I have tripplechecked that the option .NET Cross-platform development workload wasn't unchecked in the list to right that i missed the obvious as a separate box to left :D

It is working now.

//Pelle

Matthew
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Nov 2019, 03:39 PM

I hit the same problem.  Fixed it using the VS Installer as suggested - thanks.

Note the Progress control panel appears to do its dependency detection on start-up instead of when moving to the final detailed component selection screen.  Because of this I needed to close it and restart it.

Yana
Telerik team
answered on 19 Nov 2019, 11:56 AM

Hi Matthew,

I am glad to hear that you have managed to install the Telerik UI for ASP.NET Core successfully by your side. 

When it comes to the Progress Control Panel products prerequisites detection, yes, I confirm that it is happening when starting the installer and it needs to be restated to detect the installed Visual Studio features again. We could improve this behavior and I have logged it as a feedback item in our product backlog. We are going to take it into consideration in our next planning meeting.

Thank you for taking the time to report it - we highly appreciate our customers ideas for improving the quality of the products. Due to this fact, I have increased the amount of the Telerik points in your account.

Please let us know in case any help is needed.

Regards,
Yana
Progress Telerik

Tags
Installer and VS Extensions
Asked by
Bruce
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Yana
Telerik team
Bruce
Top achievements
Rank 1