47 Answers, 1 is accepted
We plan to release a version supporting .NET Core 2.0 as soon as the official release for it rolls out. It's currently in preview release, and it's our policy not to target pre-release versions.
Come on you need to provide access to a version for ASP.NET Core 2.0 preview1 and preview2.
So we can start development for it.
We have started the migration process, and will provide support for the Core 2.0 version in the upcoming R3 2017 release, scheduled for mid September.
Guess " as soon as the official release for it rolls out" was not really valid in this case.
I am guessing they prefer to spend more on advertising than paying their programmers. Especially since it is only 5 lines of code to update the source code for 2017.2.621 to get it to run on Net Core 2.0.
Why don't they just release an internal build that addresses this issue make no sense at all.
Of course we will release an internal build as soon as we fix and test everything, however we can only commit to a full stable release with the official R3 release. I'm sure this is causing frustration on your end, but we are working to make sure we have covered all cases in order to provide a version that works as expected.
As said in previous posts there not much to change to get 2017.2.0621 to get working:-
In class DataSourceRequestModelBinder function public virtual Task BindModelAsync(ModelBindingContext bindingContext) change the return to Task.CompletedTask
in the same class function TryGetValue replace action((T)value.ConvertTo(typeof(T)));
object valueToConvert = null;
if (value.Values.Count == 1)
valueToConvert = value.Values;
else if (value.Values.Count > 1)
valueToConvert = value.Values.ToArray();
var convert = TypeDescriptor.GetConverter(typeof(T));
worked for me and am using it in production - I may have missed something but didn't find it too hard.
This is unfortunately not the only place where changes are needed, and we are currently working on all of them.
Of course we will release an internal build as soon as we fix and test everything, however we can only commit to a full stable release with the official R3 release.[/quote]
I'm wondering, where would we look to see when the internal build release is available? This has impacted our production schedule as well.
Disappointed, I used Telerik for many years, and we are working on .net core 2, so it is not reasonable to wait till mid of September, it is a long time :(
Any fix or update early?
Yes i'm waiting for this too. Take your time and i'm happy to receive Rel 3 soon.
keep up the good work.
Thx Timothy! it worked like a charm.
And I am disappointed by Telerik, as I made my clients to spend 1000's of dollars on telerik products, from last few years, and telerik is asking us to wait, for making 2 small changes.
Need a Internal Build ASAP, We are unable to reply on 3rd party integrations for frameworks updates like these.
when will be the release date?
Couldn't you provide a hotfix just for now?
should i compile the source code for accessing this class?
How can i find this class?
An internal build containing the fixes is in the works, and should be available later today. I'll post again in this thread once it's out.
The internal build should be available in your accounts now, under the 2017.2.823 version. Along with the aforementioned bugs, and issue when using the DataSourceRequest in Razor Pages was also fixed.
How do I install the hotfix ? in Visual studio ? it is currently managed by nuget
Since only official releases are uploaded to nuget, in order to test the internal build you have to use it from a local package source. Here's a detailed explanation on how you can use a nuget package from a file directly:
I know to install nuget from local file but where can i find the 2017.2.823 build to download?
The internal build as well as all released version are available for download from your account. The the video below you can observe the exact steps to navigate to the download section from your account:
I'm currently evaluating your solution (started today) integrated in an asp.net core 2 project and it seems that I'm facing the same issue. I saw on your forum the above proposed solution to fix it but as i'm a trial user the commercial nuget package is not available for me, could you please provide the trial one?
Thanks in advance.
I am afraid that the trial version are only distributed against official releases. In addition, the internal builds are based on the commercial ones with the current state of bug fixes and implemented features.
The release is scheduled for mid September.
Ok, thank for your quick reply, I'll wait for the official version.
The internal build is not working for DataSourceRequest attributes. Getting this error:
Could not load type Microsoft.aspnetcore.mvc.internal.taskcache.
public ActionResult CustomerRead([DataSourceRequest] DataSourceRequest request)
[quote]Bozhidar said: Since only official releases are uploaded to nuget, in order to test the internal build you have to use it from a local package source. [/quote]
I would strongly suggest that you need to either revise your policy regarding nuget internal builds, or at the very least revise your online documentation.
According to the online documentation for your nuget packages (http://docs.telerik.com/aspnet-mvc/getting-started/nuget-install#nuget-packages), the very first line of the the description states the following:
NuGet is a popular .NET package manager. Official releases, service packs and internal builds of UI for ASP.NET MVC are available for registered users.
This certainly seems to indicate that registered users should expect internal builds to be available on the private feed as pre-release packages.
Additionally, your documentation makes no mention of any other methods for obtaining internal builds of the ASP.NET Core wrappers, or where to obtain the .nupkg archive file. The Getting Started documentation mentions an option for manual installation of the clients-side components, but not the wrappers. The ASP.NET Core wrappers documentation appears to be steering users away from the older approaches (via VSIX or manual install), and focusing solely on installation via package managers. This newer approach makes perfect sense, unless you aren't given the ability obtain all the necessary builds, and are forced to switch to an undocumented manual process.
To add additional complication/confusion, internal builds ARE currently available for Kendo UI via the bower package manager. In your online documentation for the Bower Packages page (http://docs.telerik.com/kendo-ui/intro/installation/bower-install), the phrasing used is almost identical to what is used on the nuget packages page, yet the behavior is completely different.
As a result, your product documentation is out of sync with the your support responses/messaging, and the deployment practices for the MVC and Core wrappers is not consistent with the practices of the underlying Kendo UI Core/Professional product.
My apologies if I have overlooked something, and please correct me where wrong, but this is how I see the current situation, as a customer:
- misleading, incomplete, or inaccurate documentation
- conflicting behavior/practices between teams responsible for components/products, even though both components are needed
- lack of advanced warning/alert/notification. I was personally unaware of these issues, prior to upgrading my application to ASP.NET 2.0. There has been no mention of this in product newsletters, support alert emails, blog entries, website notifications, etc. As far as I can tell, there isn't even a pinned forum post for this topic.
- In order to resolve or work around this issue, the developer would need to:
- be aware that Telerik's nuget documentation is incorrect (the documentation discrepancy could lead one to assume that no internal builds exist)
- be aware that an internal build has been released to correct these specific compatibility issues
- be aware of how to obtain internal builds (not documentated, but probably only an issue for newer licensees, in light of the recent trend towards delivery via package managers)
- be aware of how to obtain the nuget package archive from within the internal build (not documented)
- be aware of how to set up a local nuget package repository to host this internal build (not documented)
Considering that this is coming on the heels of (at minimum, using official release date) a 10 day wait for the 2.0 compatible version, or as an unexpected "gotcha" after migrating an existing application to ASP.NET Core 2.0, you are undoubtedly going to be dealing with a number of confused and frustrated customers.
Based on the thread history, this issue was identified during pre-release for ASP.NET Core 2.0, and has been on the radar for several months. I can understand that your policy is to not target pre-release versions, but it sounds like you didn't even have a separate internal branch created beforehand to work on compatibility/migration; I may have misread, but it sounds like that process didn't begin until the day after ASP.NET Core 2.0 launched.
Also, there appears to have been ample time to notifiy subscribers of potential compatibility issues with the current release version of the Core wrappers, but this does not appear to have happened (again, my apologies if something was sent that I overlooked). This sort of proactive action can save a significant number of wasted hours and dollars, on the customer's side.
By comparison, I have been contacted by Progress 4 times in the past 30 days about renewing my Kendo subscription, which isn't set to expire for several months. This juxtaposition of proactive and reactive behavior paints a poor picture of Progress' priorities, with regard to product support and customer care.
In my opinion, the creation of prominently placed Knowledge Base article, blog post, or even a consolidated and pinned forum post (with thorough documentation of the problem, the symptoms, and every step needed for implementing/deploying the internal build as a workaround) could go a long way towards preventing confusion and frustration for others, as they make the switch to Core 2.0.
The 2017.2.823 version is not available in my account, Is it available for a trail download?
[quote]Jamie Hassall said: I have the pre release in a zip format, from account downloads, but there is no way to install it via local nuget?[/quote]
Hi Jamie! Bozhidar posted about information about how easily set up a local nuget repository. I believe he posted it the same day the first internal build was published, but I'm quoting again it below this message. Steps are very simple, and should get you up and running in no time. The link below is to a Stack Overflow posting, but there are are also plenty of other resources available, just Google "local nuget repository" if you need additional help.
[quote]Bozhidar said: Since only official releases are uploaded to nuget, in order to test the internal build you have to use it from a local package source. Here's a detailed explanation on how you can use a nuget package from a file directly:
I'll try to address the concerns from a few posts ago, on Aug 30.
First and foremost, the documentation of our NuGet feed is indeed misleading, citing that the internal builds are available, when in fact they are not. At least not in the feed. Please excuse us for this miscommunication. We will update the articles, so that they don't present false information. We will also try and document the process of using internal builds with Asp.NET Core better, so that there is no further confusion.
Internal builds of UI for ASP.NET Core can be downloaded from the "Your Account" > "Products and Subscriptions" section at telerik.com
As for the timing of the release, there are several factors at play. First, we didn't receive any advance notice of the release of the 2.0 version, or a version containing all of the changes. We did have a branch where we kept a version up-to-date with the preview versions. When the release dropped, it caught us by surprise, and there were several new issues we had to address, apart from the ones discussed in this thread. The dynamic process meant that we couldn't say with certainty that we have an official ready to market version that supports 2.0. Also, when we release an internal build, it also has to be thoroughly tested for all known scenarios and functionalities, after the fixes are made. I agree that for clients 10 days might seem a long time, and we certainly try to be as quick as possible, but at the same time we don't want to release half-baked internal builds, that don't work properly and cause more frustration.
Totally agree with you!
I must admit, like others on here I was a little frustrated to find out while porting my app to Core 2 that it wouldn't work. But, after you released the internal builds, and I took the time to download it, setup the repository and upgrade the package, I can report it is now all working.
Just goes to show, take the time to help yourself, and solutions can be found.
Thank you for your feedback. The Roadmap was indeed empty, and we take responsibility for this oversight.
On a happier note - the official R3 release is now a fact, and the compatible version is available in your telerik nuget feed:
Hello new customer in US.
How do I use your ASP.NET CORE Kendo UI product with the NEW RAZOR Pages 2.0 released with ASP.NET CORE 2.0 Microsoft.
Can this be done? Also if not, can I use KENDO UI Jquery version instead, I assume so.
Examples would be appreciated.
Already issued support ticket, so far support has not or unable to answer question about RAZOR PAGES 2.0
As stated in the ticket, creating a project with RazorPages is no different than a regular one, and is achieved by following the steps from the following article:
I've provided further clarifications in the support ticket.
Visual Studio (VS) Extensions Telerik UI for ASP.NET Core. are not supported for ASP.NET cORE 2.0?
I installed Telerik UI for ASP.NET Core but the VS Extension menu option does not appear on VS 2017 menus.
Also, Can I just use kendo ui jquery version with Razor pages instead all of these templates and addons?
Lets continue this discussion in your ticket.