This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Kendo UI R2 2018, what version of Bootstrap?

4 Answers 464 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Ben Hayat
Top achievements
Rank 2
Ben Hayat asked on 16 Jun 2018, 08:13 PM
Hello Team;

For my new project, I'll be using MSFT ASP.Net Core 2.1. Unfortunately MSFT did not upgrade the bootstrap to V4.x and left the V3.x in ASP Core installation.

My first question is, in this latest version of Kendo UI R2 2018 (May), which version of Bootsrap does Kendo UI use?
If it uses V4.x, do you suggest that we upgrade our MVC project to Bootstrap V4.x to stay compatible with Kendo?

Or any other guidelines?

Thank you in advance!
..Ben

4 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Ivan Zhekov
Telerik team
answered on 21 Jun 2018, 05:57 AM
Hi, Ben.

1) Which version of Bootstrap does KendoUI 2018 R2  use?

Technically speaking, the answer is "none". Bootstrap is a third party framework that we do not distribute in our bundles. We do use it as a sort of visual guidelines for the less based Bootstrap theme and we do have a sample project showing that both KendoUI and Bootstrap can co-exist in the same project without interfering with each other.

We do have a sass based kendo-theme-bootstrap that depends on Bootstrap v4 (as in npm dev dependency) and we reuse the variables for homogeneous looks. However, we ship this theme compiled down to css without the dependency. Still, the theme is available at github / npm, should you choose to customize the theme using sass and variables.

So to sum up: while we do not use any specific version of Bootstrap, we do rely on v3 for visual guidelines regarding less based Bootstrap theme and we npm depend on Bootstrap v4 for kendo-theme-bootstrap.

2) Should you upgrade to using Bootstrap v4?

The answer is up to you.

Bootstrap 3 has been around for the longest time and most of its quirks are known. Bootstrap v4 is quite new in that respect and potentially has issues we haven't found yet. Perhaps the biggest pro / con for upgrading or not is the browser support. Bootstrap 4 uses flexbox for the layout part and that raises the support bar to IE11 and up. If you need to support IE version prior 11, you will have hard time using Bootstrap 4. If you don't have to support them, you can safely upgrade.

3) Any other guidelines?

We don't have any specific guidelines. We try to play nicely with Bootstrap 4 so things should integrate well. If there is a bug / incompatibility, we try to fix it in a reasonable timeframe.

My only advice is, should you choose to use Bootstrap 4, is to use a specific version of it, or if you npm depend, again, use a specific version and not ^ version. That's not to say you will not upgrade, but that way you will choose your time to upgrade.

And as usual, if you find any issues with Bootstrap v4 and kendo-theme-bootstrap, do write us back.

Regards,
Ivan Zhekov
Progress Telerik
Try our brand new, jQuery-free Angular components built from ground-up which deliver the business app essential building blocks - a grid component, data visualization (charts) and form elements.
Ben Hayat
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 21 Jun 2018, 06:07 AM
Ivan, thank you kindly for the detail response.

I'm glad Keno UI is not dependent on Bootstrap. I've decided just to use Bootstrap Grid system for my main page of the app to build the skeleton of the dashboard but then put Kendo components in those DIVs. This way I'm pretty much designing forms, menus and etc. all using Kendo Components.

Always, great support from Telerik!
Ivan Zhekov
Telerik team
answered on 21 Jun 2018, 07:56 AM
Ben, you probably know this, starting with Bootstrap 4, there is a separate file just for the grid system (called bootstrap-grid.css). If you plan is on using the grid only, you should include only it, just to be on the safe side that nothing else gets on the page.

If you plan on using other portions of bootstrap, then you are probably best off with the complete bootstrap file, or you could create a custom distribution containing just the things you need.

Regards,
Ivan Zhekov
Progress Telerik
Try our brand new, jQuery-free Angular components built from ground-up which deliver the business app essential building blocks - a grid component, data visualization (charts) and form elements.
Ben Hayat
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 21 Jun 2018, 08:19 PM

Ivan, you made me stop & think about "Layout" direction. As I did more research, I'm also looking why not use CSS New Grid Layout.

https://www.w3schools.com/css/css_grid.asp

https://hackernoon.com/how-css-grid-beats-bootstrap-85d5881cf163
That's what I need.

Always great to bounce ideas with you guys!

Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Ben Hayat
Top achievements
Rank 2
Answers by
Ivan Zhekov
Telerik team
Ben Hayat
Top achievements
Rank 2