KDE (WebKit) Browsers

7 posts, 0 answers
  1. Random
    Random avatar
    17 posts
    Member since:
    Feb 2012

    Posted 16 Feb 2012 Link to this post

    Today i wanted to test the KDE Browser "Konqueror" (http://www.konqueror.org/) and was shocked, about the fact even though safari and this browser share the same engine Konqueror gets cut with functions and display capability. Just because it doesnt send "Safari" as its user agent....

    Once you change the browser identification of Konqueror to Safari everything works fine.
    So my request is, to fix this "browser name" specific behaviour and change the way telerik handles this. And let every browser share the same functionality (if they support it) and not just assume because they arent all named "Safari", "Chrome", "FireFox" and "Internext Explorer" also think about the small ones.

    If you need an example look at this
    http://demos.telerik.com/aspnet-ajax/button/examples/imagebutton/defaultcs.aspx First with Konquerer in Default Browser Information and than change it to safari Tools --> Change Browser Indentification --> Safari

    Hope this will get fixed someday, but i dont believe you will give it a high priority since its a small Browser but still i believe you could think about since its not really good way of doing it like this.
  2. Random
    Random avatar
    17 posts
    Member since:
    Feb 2012

    Posted 17 Feb 2012 Link to this post

    I have also opened a thread at Konqueror (KDE) forum.
    http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=99213
  3. Ivan Zhekov
    Admin
    Ivan Zhekov avatar
    649 posts

    Posted 20 Feb 2012 Link to this post

    Hello,

    Not only Safari shares the same code base, but Google's Chrome too, as well as the majority of mobile browsers out there. So it's quite surprising that things do not work in a WebKit based browser...

    We try to minimize the hacks based on browser agent whenever possible, so I will take a closer look and write back with the findings.

    Greetings,
    Ivan Zhekov
    the Telerik team
    Sharpen your .NET Ninja skills! Attend Q1 webinar week and get a chance to win a license! Book your seat now >>
  4. Random
    Random avatar
    17 posts
    Member since:
    Feb 2012

    Posted 16 Mar 2012 Link to this post

    Any results on this?
  5. Ivan Zhekov
    Admin
    Ivan Zhekov avatar
    649 posts

    Posted 22 Mar 2012 Link to this post

    Hi,

    I devoted quite some time on testing with Konqueror (on windows), both with default string and spoofed string.

    Indeed, there were some limitations, but from what I saw things looked mostly nice. In addition, the .NET framework treats it "specially", which is probably the reason why things are funky on Konqueror.

    Lastly, Konqueror is not among our supported browser (the list is available here -- http://www.telerik.com/products/aspnet-ajax/getting-started/tech-sheets/browser-support.aspx), the reason for that being that though it shares the same code base as Safari and Chrome, it does differ significantly.

    Greetings,
    Ivan Zhekov
    the Telerik team
    If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now.
  6. Random
    Random avatar
    17 posts
    Member since:
    Feb 2012

    Posted 17 Apr 2012 Link to this post

    Sad to read, that you wont change this behavior...

    What do you mean with .Net treats it specially, maybe its even worse in my place than it should be.
    I have done nothing specially with .Net itself to display anyway better..

    I dont really believe that this behavior can go in to the classification of "some limitations, but from what i saw things looked mostly nice."
    Quote from the KDE Forum: -------------
    "....
    The problem i am facing at my site, which is the most annoying at this hour, you can also find it at teleriks demo website.
    When you visit this page:
    http://demos.telerik.com/aspnet-ajax/sc ... ultcs.aspx

    You will notice that the Scheduler is "almost empty", when you change the browser identification to safari you will see that the items are displayed with the correct height and width attribute, but at the default browser identification the items do not have any width and height specified.

    Plus the fact that you can only switch views when you are in safari mode."
    --------------

    Dont really understand this one:
    "Lastly, Konqueror is not among our supported browser ...", as you mentioned earlier the majority of mobile browser runs with this engine so are you telling me every single of them needs to be supported instead of just saying the core engine is supported?
    I have an IPad3 myself and there are alot of Apps that have an inbuilt browser for functions that Safari doesnt support, like downloading and priting from device that dont work with Apples way and more stuff. So if i would like to have my website look good on all those i am just doomed.. since they arent called Safari, Chrome?!?
  7. Ivan Zhekov
    Admin
    Ivan Zhekov avatar
    649 posts

    Posted 20 Apr 2012 Link to this post

    Hello,

    It's not purely the code base that matters. The user agent string obviously matters too.

    I did some more tests and the results were more than surprising -- the .NET framework gives KHTML a special treat. Even the end user HTML is different.

    Why exactly is this happening and is there a way around this, I am yet to find out.

    Kind regards,
    Ivan Zhekov
    the Telerik team
    If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now.
Back to Top