This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

javascript error on closing RADWindow-0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)

7 Answers 158 Views
Window
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Neo
Top achievements
Rank 1
Neo asked on 07 Oct 2010, 05:01 PM
Hello All,

I am receiving this error on javascript error list,
Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIDOMNSHTMLInputElement.selectionStart]"  nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)"  location: "JS frame :: http://server1:8080/Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource.axd?_TSM_HiddenField_=ScriptManager1_TSM&compress=1&_TSM_CombinedScripts_=%3b%3bSystem.Web.Extensions%2c+Version%3d3.5.0.0%2c+Culture%3dneutral%2c+PublicKeyToken%3d---%3aen-US%3a--%3a--%3b:: anonymous :: line 2151"  data: no]

this error appears when i close the RADwindow by asp .net button.

Thanks in advance.

7 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Georgi Tunev
Telerik team
answered on 08 Oct 2010, 12:23 PM
Hi Neo,

Could you please provide more details about this problem? What exactly is your RadWindow configuration and how do you close it?

Best wishes,
Georgi Tunev
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Jay Leffue
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 02 Dec 2010, 07:56 PM
I am getting this error as well.  This is a critical break to our application.

I put an alert before and after my close command and The first alert shows, but not the second. I also ensured that GetRadWindow is returning a reference to the window, which it is.  The error occurs on the close command.

MY JS on the dialog page:

<telerik:RadScriptBlock runat="server" ID="CodeBlock">

<script type="text/javascript">
        function GetRadWindow() {
            var oWindow = null;
            if (window.radWindow) oWindow = window.radWindow; //Will work in Moz in all cases, including clasic dialog
            else if (window.frameElement.radWindow) oWindow = window.frameElement.radWindow; //IE (and Moz as well)

return oWindow;
        }
        function closeForm() {
            GetRadWindow().close();
        }
        function CloseAndRebind(args) {
            GetRadWindow().BrowserWindow.refreshGrid();
            alert("here");
            GetRadWindow().close();
            alert("here2");
        }        

</script>
</telerik:RadScriptBlock>

On my parent page the window manager is:

<telerik:RadWindowManager  ID="Singleton" Skin="Windows7" Width="700" Height="650"
        VisibleStatusbar="false" Behaviors="Close,Move, Resize" runat="server"
    DestroyOnClose="True" Modal="True" >
Georgi Tunev
Telerik team
answered on 03 Dec 2010, 12:59 PM
Hello Jay,

What happens if you set DestroyOnClose=false? Also, could you please provide a project that isolates the problem?
I am asking this because the part of the code that you posted looks OK - you call a JavaScript function in the context of the parent page (refreshGrid) and then you close the RadWindow - basically, the same setup is used in this demo. The only difference is that DestroyOnClose there is set to false - I was not able to reproduce the problem locally, by setting this property, but still, it's worth to try.

Best wishes,
Georgi Tunev
the Telerik team
Browse the vast support resources we have to jumpstart your development with RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX. See how to integrate our AJAX controls seamlessly in SharePoint 2007/2010 visiting our common SharePoint portal.
Jay Leffue
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 03 Dec 2010, 02:39 PM
The error does indeed appear to be tied to the DestroyOnClose Property.

Will changing this to false affect anything else in the application? What is the purpose of this property?
Georgi Tunev
Telerik team
answered on 03 Dec 2010, 03:45 PM
Hello Jay,

Basically, when a RadWindow is closed, it remains hidden on the page (so it can be shown quickly on subsequent calls). In some cases, developer needs this object to be destroyed and that is where the DestroyOnClose property is used. When it is set to true, once closed, RadWindow's object is destroyed and you cannot use that object again until the whole page is reloaded.
I am still not sure though, why setting this property to true causes the problem in your setup - as I said, the logic is pretty common and so far I am unable to reproduce it locally. This leads me to believe that the reason is somewhere else, but without having a better view over your exact setup and logic, I cannot tell what is the cause.
I will be grateful (if you have the time of course) if you send me a sample project where the problem can be reproduced so I can examine it. If you decide to do that, this blog post would be of help.

Kind regards,
Georgi Tunev
the Telerik team
Browse the vast support resources we have to jumpstart your development with RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX. See how to integrate our AJAX controls seamlessly in SharePoint 2007/2010 visiting our common SharePoint portal.
Jay Leffue
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 03 Dec 2010, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the info.  For now I won't destroy.

I tried to make a quick sample to reproduce but it doesn't happen on a simple application.  I agree it must be because the complexities of the application I am working on must be making something stumble on itself and I cannot easily determine what it is.
Georgi Tunev
Telerik team
answered on 06 Dec 2010, 10:30 AM
OK Jay,

Let us know if the problem occurs again, or you manage to isolate it in a separate project.

Have a productive week,
Georgi Tunev
the Telerik team
Tags
Window
Asked by
Neo
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Georgi Tunev
Telerik team
Jay Leffue
Top achievements
Rank 1