This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Intellisense Not Working VS2010

4 Answers 232 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Robert Sprague
Top achievements
Rank 1
Robert Sprague asked on 26 Aug 2010, 04:27 PM
We have the dll installed in the GAC, and the following line in our Machine.config

<add assembly="Telerik.Web.UI, Version=2010.2.713.20, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=121fae78165ba3d4" />

We have the following line in our application web.config:

<controls>
<add tagPrefix="telerik" namespace="Telerik.Web.UI" assembly="Telerik.Web.UI" />
</controls>

We have the following line at the top of the .aspx page
<%@ Register tagPrefix="telerik" namespace="Telerik.Web.UI" assembly="Telerik.Web.UI" %>

We do not have intellisense in our aspx page.  The project will build and work, but no intellisense.

If we change the register tag at the top of the aspx page to the following:

@ Register tagPrefix="telerik" namespace="Telerik.Web.UI" assembly="Telerik.Web.UI, Version=2010.2.713.20, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=121fae78165ba3d4" 

it will begin working.  However, we can not add this line to all of our aspx pages because when we upgrade to a new version we would have to update all of our pages or else we get an ambiguity error.

4 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Robert Sprague
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 26 Aug 2010, 04:45 PM
I have solved my own issue.  I guess all you need to do is broadcast your problem, and suddenly the solution becomes clear.

I moved the controls section from our application web.config to the machine.config.

In the machine config I add the control with the following line:

<controls>
                <add tagPrefix="telerik" namespace="Telerik.Web.UI" assembly="Telerik.Web.UI, Version=2010.2.713.20, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=121fae78165ba3d4" />
            </controls>

The version number is still in the control, but it only exists in one place.  We have about 200 applications running on this server, so getting the information in one place is very important.

Intellisense works, and we have maintainability.  WooHoo!

Thanks
Robert
Naresh
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Aug 2011, 05:24 AM
One of the causes for the Intellisense not functioning for any controls other than ASP is ASP net Cache files. Deleting the files from the following folder makes the intellisense work again -

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Temporary ASP.NET Files\radcontrols_aspnetajax

Tim
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 14 Feb 2014, 06:46 PM
I'm having the same issue but this folder doesn't exist, is there something else that can cause intellisense to not function?
Danail Vasilev
Telerik team
answered on 19 Feb 2014, 12:47 PM
Hello Tim,

Once the Telerik.Web.UI.dll file is reference by the project (either from the BIN folder or from the GAC) the intellisense must be working properly. If you change, however, the reference to the .DLLs you must close and reopen the current page, in order for the intellisense to start working (as you can see from the provided video). If that doesn't help I can also suggest you try the following:

• Reopen the current project or reopen Visual Studio itself.
  • Refresh remote references in Visual Studio by clicking: Edit > IntelliSense > Refresh Remote References
  • Close Visual Studio and delete this folder: %AppData%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0\ReflectedSchemas
  • Reset all settings in Visual Studio by clicking TOOLS > Import and Export Settings > Reset all settings

More information about similar issue are available here and here.

If the above steps are not helpful it would be better to open a support ticket and send us a small project that reproduces the mentioned intellisense issue, so that we can make an investigation locally.

Regards,
Danail Vasilev
Telerik
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the UI for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to the blog feed now.
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Robert Sprague
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Robert Sprague
Top achievements
Rank 1
Naresh
Top achievements