This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

installed correctly asp.net ajax download 2017 release #228

6 Answers 91 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
diane
Top achievements
Rank 1
diane asked on 21 Apr 2017, 07:00 PM
I downloaded the Telerik ASP.NET UI ASO.NET_AJAX_2017_1_228_Dev.msi and installed the software on my computer
successfully.
I then tried to checkin the changes to TFS (team server foundation) 2010, and the TFS said it was going to undo the changes
place them back the way the were on the server. The only option buttons I had were OK or help.
When I did a compare in TFS of the files on my worksation versus what was in TFS on the server there is no difference. However
when I look at the modified dates through windows explorer in the bin folder with the file names that start with Telerik, there are todays date.
Thus I cannot tell if the latest version of the Telerik tool is actually installed on my worksation. From my test environment on my workstation, I want
to deploy the .net 2010 web form application with the latest telerik tool changes to the test application server.
Note: I tried a Telerik uninstall and reinstall on my workstation and got the same results.
Thus can you tell me what I need to look for to determine if I actually have the latest Telerik release to load to my test application server?
Thus if I have the latest version on the telerik tool on my workstation, would you tell me how can I place the file changes into TFS? What files would I be looking for?
If the Telerik tool is not on my workstation, what can I do to get the latest Telerik tool on my workstation?

6 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Marin Bratanov
Telerik team
answered on 24 Apr 2017, 12:21 PM

Hi Diane,

Merely installing the controls will not affect your existing applications (nor should it). You should upgrade them yourself: http://docs.telerik.com/devtools/aspnet-ajax/installation/upgrading-instructions/upgrading-a-trial-to-a-developer-license-or-to-a-newer-version#upgrade-to-a-newer-version-of-telerik-ui-for-aspnet-ajax.

To ensure your app uses the desired vesrion, go to its References and see where they point. You can see the version of our assembly in several places (see the images here: http://docs.telerik.com/devtools/aspnet-ajax/installation/upgrading-instructions/upgrading-a-trial-to-a-developer-license-or-to-a-newer-version#i-still-get-the-copyright-message):

• the Details tab of the Properties window in Windows Explorer
  • the Version node in the VS explorer
  • an HTML comment just after the first opening tag of our rendered control that looks something like <!-- 2017.1.228.45 -->

Regards,

Marin Bratanov
Telerik by Progress
Try our brand new, jQuery-free Angular 2 components built from ground-up which deliver the business app essential building blocks - a grid component, data visualization (charts) and form elements.
diane
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 24 Apr 2017, 03:05 PM

I already ran the Telerik ASP.NET UI ASO.NET_AJAX_2017_1_228_Dev.msi installer. Thus I am not certain what I can do to make certain I am using the newest version of the Telerik tool.

I did the msi installer for 2 reasons:

1. I wanted to have a backup of the installer and saved in version control if I needed it.

2. In the past when I ran the installer, It make a 'backup' of the application unless you changed it. That made the application not run on my workstation. Thus I did not allow the installer to make a 'backup' of the application so my .net web application would run on my workstation.

I am trying to determine what to do from here. Should I run the uninstall from the MSI installer and then do the automatically update from the Telerik website? Would you let me know what you believe the recommended action should be that I follow from here?

Marin Bratanov
Telerik team
answered on 25 Apr 2017, 08:05 AM

Hello Diane,

The installation does not change applications itself, the Upgrade Wizard can.

What I advise, however, is that you perform the 7 easy steps to upgrade your app manually. It takes a couple of minutes and ensures correct references and source control integration. Link: http://docs.telerik.com/devtools/aspnet-ajax/installation/upgrading-instructions/upgrading-a-trial-to-a-developer-license-or-to-a-newer-version#manual-upgrade.

Regards,

Marin Bratanov
Telerik by Progress
Try our brand new, jQuery-free Angular 2 components built from ground-up which deliver the business app essential building blocks - a grid component, data visualization (charts) and form elements.
diane
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 25 Apr 2017, 06:40 PM

Thank you for your help so far! I do have the following additional questions:

1. In my web.config file, there are the following references in the appSettings section:

<add key="Telerik.ScriptManager.TelerikCdn" value="Disabled" />
<add key="Telerik.StyleSheetManager.TelerikCdn" value="Disabled" />

Do I still needed these references? They are marked as disable. Thus they are probably not being used, correct?

2. When I did the msi installer, I did not see a reference for the manual upgrade. Did I miss something?

3. When the msi installer ran, it left files at the following location that I use:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Telerik\UI for ASP.NET AJAX R1 2017\Bin40 (for Visual Studio 2010). Do I need to keep these files around for any reason?

4. In the Telerik folder that I just listed above, I see the yearly folders for UI for ASP.NET AJAX 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017. Is there a reason why I would need to keep any of these folders around? If so, can you tell me what folder I would need to be and why I would need to keep those folder(s)?

Marin Bratanov
Telerik team
answered on 26 Apr 2017, 10:48 AM

Hi Diane,

To each point:

• The CDN settings in the web.config—they are set to Disabled, which is their defaults state. Thus, you can remove them.
  • The MSI installer not referencing a manual upgrade—this is expected. The installation provides you with files and there are many different ways to use them, which are shown in the documentation. It is up to the developer to utilize the files they now have on their machine and the installer cannot know what your intentions and needs are, it merely fetches resources for you.
  • Keeping the installed files on the default location—in general, you do not need them. In most cases our assemblies are copied to the BIN folder of the concrete application and references from there, so you can safely delete the installation from Program Files. If you do reference our assemblies from the installation folder, however, this can cause issues. Again, this is up to the concrete scenario and setup the developer chooses.
  • Keeping old releases—the answer is the same as above. Usually, you don't need them. References for a web app should usually be self-contained, and shoulkd you need anything else at a later stage, you can always download it from your telerik.com account.

Regards,

Marin Bratanov
Telerik by Progress
diane
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 26 Apr 2017, 02:57 PM
Thank you very much for your answers that have been extremely helpful!
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
diane
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Marin Bratanov
Telerik team
diane
Top achievements
Rank 1