This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Installation of Telerik Controls 2009 Q3

3 Answers 89 Views
Installer and VS Extensions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Alfred
Top achievements
Rank 1
Alfred asked on 21 May 2011, 05:58 AM
I have Telerik Premium Collection for .NET 2009 Q3. The subscription is expired on Jan 16, 2009. 

Currently I am using the VS 2005 professional version on a Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit PC.  I am planning to upgrade the VS to VS2010 Professional.

However, I need to keep both version vs2005 and vs2010 at the same time.

May I know:
1. What is the best practice to install the Telerik controls?  I already install the Telerik controls for VS 2005.
2. Is it possible to run Dot Net FW 4.0 for VS 2010 and Dot Net FW 2.0 for VS 2005 at the same time?

Thanks.

3 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
answered on 23 May 2011, 09:35 AM
Hi Alfred,

Each distribution of RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX contains two sets of assemblies: one, built upon .NET 3.5 and another one, built upon .NET 4.0 (up to Q1 2011 the RadControls distribution contained a third set of assemblies, built upon .NET 2.0).

With that said, if you use a RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX release prior to Q1 2011, you can load your .NET 2.0 project (built with VS2005) in Visual Studio 2010. The IDE will perform an automatic project/solution update and you should be able to run the project normally.

As a further step I would suggest that you upgrade your project to TargetFramework 4.0 (and RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX respectively), for the new framework provides lots of improvements over the old one.

While it is possible to run .NET Framework 4.0 in Visual Studio 2010 and .NET Framework 2.0 in Visual Studio 2005, I suggest that you utilize the latest version of the IDE for both .NET 4.0 and .NET 2.0/.NET 3.5 development.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Erjan Gavalji
the Telerik team

Browse the vast support resources we have to jump start your development with RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX. See how to integrate our AJAX controls seamlessly in SharePoint 2007/2010 visiting our common SharePoint portal.

Alfred
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 26 Jun 2011, 11:11 AM
I just installed the VS 2010 professional. 

The toolbox does not contain the RAD Controls, Report etc. and there is no Telerik Templates.

I do not want to reinstall the Rad Controls and Report.   Is there a way to add the controls and templates to the VS 2010?

(I know i can add the controls to the toolbox by adding items, but I think it is not a very good practice to do so.)

Regards
Alfred

Accepted
Biliana Ficheva
Telerik team
answered on 27 Jun 2011, 01:45 PM
Hello Alfred,

As you are starting to use VS2010 it is better to download and install the latest VSExtensions because there are a lot of improvements in them.
Here are the steps:
1. Open VS2010 and go to Tools -> Extension Manager...
2. Select the Online Gallery tab on the left and after that in the Search Online Gallery field in the top right corner type Telerik WebUI VSExtensions in order to find the Extensions for AJAX.
3. Download the Extensions, install them and restart the VS2010.

Once you have installed the Extensions you could use the Toolbox configurator in order to load the items in the toolbox and also you will be able to use your already installed Q3 2009 version of the RadControls and to create new applications with it.

Regards,
Biliana
the Telerik team

Browse the vast support resources we have to jump start your development with RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX. See how to integrate our AJAX controls seamlessly in SharePoint 2007/2010 visiting our common SharePoint portal.

Tags
Installer and VS Extensions
Asked by
Alfred
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
Alfred
Top achievements
Rank 1