This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Installation error

8 Answers 97 Views
Installer and Visual Studio Extensions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Jason D
Top achievements
Rank 1
Veteran
Jason D asked on 12 Mar 2018, 01:22 PM

Just bought the latest version of UI for WPF and can't install it. Receive the following error:

'VS2017PROFESSIONALDIR' is not a valid short file name.

I only have VS 2017 Community Edition installed.

8 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Jason D
Top achievements
Rank 1
Veteran
answered on 12 Mar 2018, 03:57 PM
Correction. I also have VS 2013 Pro installed. Have some older projects that I haven't taken the time to migrate.
Nikolay Mishev
Telerik team
answered on 13 Mar 2018, 02:32 PM
Hello Jason,

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.

In order to investigate the issue we'll need the installation .log file. Please follow these steps to create it:
  1. Download the .msi installer from your account downloads page
  2. Open command prompt
  3. Execute the following command - msiexec /i [installer-path]\[installer-name] /L*V %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\[installer-log-name].log .(This will create a log file on your Desktop)
  4. Proceed with the installation until the error appears and finish
After those steps get back to us with the .log file attached.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards,
Nikolay Mishev
Progress Telerik
Want to extend the target reach of your WPF applications, leveraging iOS, Android, and UWP? Try UI for Xamarin, a suite of polished and feature-rich components for the Xamarin framework, which allow you to write beautiful native mobile apps using a single shared C# codebase.
Jason D
Top achievements
Rank 1
Veteran
answered on 13 Mar 2018, 03:00 PM
Attached. Change extension to "log". Also worth noting that I run as a limited user. When running the installation, I am prompted for an elevated login and enter it (as usual). Maybe not important, but just before the error is a reference to the "M:\" drive. That is not a hard drive. It is a mapped drive to cloud storage. I doubt any of this is important, but mentioning it just in case.
Nikolay Mishev
Telerik team
answered on 14 Mar 2018, 04:47 PM
Hello Jason,

From the log file it seems that the issue is connected with the mapped drive "M:\" that you mentioned . I have logged an item in our backlog regarding this issue and it is to be investigated further.
Meanwhile I can suggest you to try install the product with a similar command line as before but with an additional parameter. Please follow the steps:
  1. Open command prompt
  2. Execute the following command - msiexec /i [installer-path]\[installer-name] ROOTDRIVE="C:\" /L*V %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\[installer-log-name].log​(This will again create a log file on your Desktop)
  3. Proceed and try to finish the installation

If the installation fails again with the same error please send us the new .log file.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards,
Nikolay Mishev
Progress Telerik
Want to extend the target reach of your WPF applications, leveraging iOS, Android, and UWP? Try UI for Xamarin, a suite of polished and feature-rich components for the Xamarin framework, which allow you to write beautiful native mobile apps using a single shared C# codebase.
Jason D
Top achievements
Rank 1
Veteran
answered on 14 Mar 2018, 07:27 PM
That worked. The drive is registered as a local hard drive (not a mapped drive), but of course does not exist on my machine. I don't have control over this. Haven't had this problem before. I believe the drive is selected because it shows as having the most space.
Jason D
Top achievements
Rank 1
Veteran
answered on 14 Mar 2018, 07:29 PM
 That worked. The drive is registered as a local hard drive (not a mapped drive), but of course does not exist on my machine. I don't have
control over this. Haven't had this problem before. I believe the drive is selected because it shows as having the most space.
Jason D
Top achievements
Rank 1
Veteran
answered on 14 Mar 2018, 07:30 PM
That worked. The drive is registered as a local hard drive (not a mapped drive), but of course does not exist on my machine. I don't have control over this. Haven't had this problem before. I believe the drive is selected because it shows as having the most space. Change extension to "zip".
Nikolay Mishev
Telerik team
answered on 15 Mar 2018, 10:34 AM
Hello Jason,

I'm glad to hear that the provided command worked and you were able to install the product. Of course as I said we will further investigate the cause of the problem.

Thank you again for your cooperation and please don't hesitate to contact us if you need any other assistance.

Regards,
Nikolay Mishev
Progress Telerik
Tags
Installer and Visual Studio Extensions
Asked by
Jason D
Top achievements
Rank 1
Veteran
Answers by
Jason D
Top achievements
Rank 1
Veteran