This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Grid not Updating

7 Answers 65 Views
Grid
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Mark
Top achievements
Rank 1
Mark asked on 06 Sep 2012, 08:20 PM
Actually nothing on the Grid works.  It pulls the data from the datasource but nothing else.
I posted this in General Discussion, but I probably should have put it here first.  I didn't see this area before.

RadGrid won't go into Edit mode -

I just installed RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX on my Windows XP 32bit development PC with VS 2010.

I opened a newly created website which had only a single GridView already on it and I selected Convert to Telerik web site from the Telerik menu that is now in VS.

The first thing I noticed was that the GridView no longer worked. Clicking on Select or Edit no longer do anything. So I dragged a RadGrid to the form, left all the default settings and selected the same DataSource the original GridView is using. Now with the original GridView and the new RadGrid on the page, both grids display the same rows of data as one would expect.

I enabled AllowAutomaticDeletes, AllowAutomaticInserts, and AllowAutomaticUpdates and set AutoGenerateEditColumn to True.

The original GridView still does not work. Click "Select" and the row is not selected. Click "Edit" and it does not go into Edit mode.
The new RadGrid also does not work. There is an "Edit" link. Clicking it does nothing. The page flickers like there was a postback or something, but the row does not go into edit mode.

I started with the standard ToolkitScriptManager and then changed it to the RadScriptManager. Neither worked.

What am I missing?

7 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Mark
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 07 Sep 2012, 11:36 AM
Love the support here.  :(
Tsvetina
Telerik team
answered on 07 Sep 2012, 12:57 PM
Hi Mark,

I am posting the reply from the support thread which you have opened in case anyone else is interested:

It is hard to tell directly what has caused this problem, but here are some things to check on your side:
1) Run the page with script debugging enabled and check for any client script errors. If they do not tell you much, send screenshots of them to us, so we can take a look.
2) Set EnableAjax="false" in any RadAjax controls to confirm that the issue is not missing AJAX settings.
3) Set ClientIdMode="AutoID" explicitly in your Page declaration.

As for the support options, please note that the forums are a community resource and even though we do our best to reply here as well, if you need a timely response, you should better open a support ticket.

Kind regards,
Tsvetina
the Telerik team
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now.
Mark
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 10 Sep 2012, 12:02 PM
Hi Tsventina,

I re-created the site on a different computer, I mean on the same web server, but using a different development PC.  The first PC where it was failing is a Windows XP box and the second PC is a Windows 7 box.  I don't think the operating system itself was the issue.  More likely some configuration issue on the XP box.

I haven't been able to determine why the Win 7 box created a good site and the Win XP box would not.  Once I verified that both standard ASP.NET GridViews and Telerik RadGrids were functioning properly, i.e. Updates were working, I could continue developing on the XP box and everything continues to work.

A difference between the XP box and the Win 7 box is that I do have the Telerik RadControls installed on the XP box and I do not have them installed on the Win 7 box. 

Do you have any ideas what may be the problem on the XP side?  Right now I'm afraid to install the RadControls on my Win 7 box for fear of leaving myself with no working development box.

Best regards,
David Megnin
(for Mark.  Mark is our Department Head who purchased the software.  I'm the developer who uses it.)
Tsvetina
Telerik team
answered on 13 Sep 2012, 10:36 AM
Hi David,

I assume that you now know the reason for the issue, as it seems you tracked it down with my colleague in the other forum thread you have opened:
http://www.telerik.com/community/forums/aspnet-ajax/general-discussions/new-install-not-very-happy.aspx

When you do not have RadControls installed, the RadCompression handler is not added automatically to web.config and I guess this is what makes the difference. So, you should be fine with installing RadControls on the Windows 7 machine.

Regards,
Tsvetina
the Telerik team
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now.
Pam
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 31 Oct 2012, 04:32 PM
Hi, 
I think I am encountering the same problem. I am creating a new page with radgrid and with an edit column, but when i click the button/link for editing, nothing happens. I tried to use popup and inplace in editmode but nothing happens, but when I click the add record, it displays the popup form but when I click insert to save what i entered to the textboxes, nothing was captured.  
Maria Ilieva
Telerik team
answered on 05 Nov 2012, 12:20 PM
Hi Pam,

Could you please ensure that if automatic operation after sued you have set the "AllowAutomaticUpdates" property to "true". Also please note that the automatic data source operations only work when binding the grid to a declarative data source using the DataSourceID property of the grid. You must configure the data source so that it supports the automatic operations.

Kind regards,
Maria Ilieva
the Telerik team
Pam
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 07 Nov 2012, 04:41 PM
Hi, 

Thank you for the reply. I already fixed the problem using autopostback property of the page. 
Tags
Grid
Asked by
Mark
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Mark
Top achievements
Rank 1
Tsvetina
Telerik team