This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Grid from 2003 with VS 2013 / .Net 4.5

2 Answers 49 Views
Grid
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Cory
Top achievements
Rank 1
Cory asked on 08 Sep 2015, 02:44 PM

Hi Everyone,

I have an old application that I'm supposed to bring forward into the modern world.  It was written using VS 2003 back in about 2004 and has never progressed beyond that point.  It utilizes the radgrid, radinput, radpanelbar, radtabstrip, radtreeview, and radupload components from the version that telerik had way back then.  I don't have the install materials or anything like that - just the DLLs in the bin folder.  I'm hoping that there is a way to continue to use them in VS 2013 because otherwise I'm going to have to rewrite a lot of the application!

I've created a VS 2013 project and imported all the code - plus added the references to the RAD objects.  Unfortunately when I try to compile - I get an error that the "type or namespace name 'Telerik' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)".  Looking at the first page throwing the error I see that "using Telerik.WebControls" is the issue.  That namespace is defined in the various rad controls that I have reference to, so I'm not sure why it isn't working.  Has anyone else tried anything like this and been successful?

Thanks!

Cory Aston

2 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Cory
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Sep 2015, 07:28 PM

I found the problem - a sub project was missing a reference. 

Thanks anyways,

Cory

Viktor Tachev
Telerik team
answered on 11 Sep 2015, 11:00 AM
Hello Cory,

I am glad that the issue was resolved. Thank you for sharing the solution with the community.

With that said, since the application was developed in 2004 it likely uses .NET 1.1 or .NET 2 and the classic controls. Please note that these controls are not supported. It is recommended to upgrade the project so it uses a more recent version of .NET and UI for ASP.NET AJAX controls.

For additional information on upgrading I would recommend checking the documentation for the specific controls.

Regards,
Viktor Tachev
Telerik
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
Tags
Grid
Asked by
Cory
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Cory
Top achievements
Rank 1
Viktor Tachev
Telerik team