I am an experienced developer and know the fundamentals of MVC. I bought Kendo UI Complete so that I can provide professional UI components on my websites at low development cost - i.e. avoid spending days experimenting. I've gone through http://docs.telerik.com/aspnet-core/getting-started and found it very disappointing in the following respects:
1. It contains typos - for example _Layout.cshtml is called Layout.cshtml
2. It creates a webapp with a lot of extra stuff that I don't want. I like to start with a minimal app and then add features.
3. The relationship between Bootstrap and Kendo style sheets / js isn't clear. I expect to be able to apply a custom theme to my website that works with all the Kendo widgets, but my attempts to change theme result in badly presented components.
4. There isn't clear differentiation of documentation that is Kendo UI for .NET Core specific.
5. Kendo documentation is badly organised. I'm not even told what version of what product it was last tested on.
In order to resolve these problems I am proposing this thread as an alternative starting point for people who are new to Kendo UI for .NET Core. Perhaps someone would kindly write a better set of instructions than http://docs.telerik.com/aspnet-core/getting-started and then keep them up-to-date.