This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Error! Upgrade from q2 2010 to q1 2011

4 Answers 85 Views
Installer and VS Extensions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Mick
Top achievements
Rank 1
Mick asked on 28 Apr 2011, 11:45 AM
Hi

I am using vs2010 and radcontrols for asp.net ajax

I was using q1 2010 but IE 9 has forced me to upgrade to the newest version. I have follwed the following steps

1. I allowed vs2010 to upgrade to the latest version for me. This downloaded it somewhere and then did nothing. (I later found out it put it in the c:\telerikupdates folder). I don't know for usre if this installed anything or just downloaded it. It did not download the 2011 version though.

2. Ok then I now think best to do it manually then to be sure. I downloaded the q1 2011 version and installed it. I then try a re-build. None of the dll's have changed after re-build.

3. OK I now uninstall the q1 2010 version completeley.

4. I manaully overwrite the telerik dll's in the bin folder to the latest versions.

5. I run vs2010 and look at the design time web forms and now the controls are all showing "error creating control - xxx". If I drop a new control onto the form from the 2011, the new control works fine and this seems to kick all the current components on the page into line.

Why do I have to take the step at stage 5 to make it work correctly. This is a big chore as we have to update a lot of pages across a lot of projects. (whole days of work for the poor junior programmer)?

Is there something I am missing?

Do I not understand the upgrade paths properly?

Any help appreciated, thanks.

4 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
answered on 28 Apr 2011, 12:09 PM
Hi Mick,

Thanks for the details!
When the RadControls VSExtensions added to Visual Studio, they automatically detect if a newer version of RadControls is available on the Telerik website. They download and unpack the hotfix package of latest version to the %appdata%\Telerik\Updates folder.

In contrast to the installer, the VSExtensions don't add the designer assembly to the GAC (we are considering an improvement for that).

When you simply update the assemblies in the project BIN, you have your application point to the newest RadControls (thus, the application should run fine, but its design time would be broken, as Visual Studio cannot find the design-time assembly). When you drag a control from the Toolbox to the page, Visual Studio loads the older version of the RadControls AND the designers assembly (which can be detected because of its existence in the GAC).

Please, try the following steps:

1. Revert the older Telerik.Web.UI assembly in the project BIN
  2. Close all instances of Visual Studio
  3. Start a Visual Studio 2010 command-prompt
  4. Navigate to the folder of the newly downloaded/unpacked hotfix (%appdata%\Telerik\Updates)
  5. Navigate to the BIN35 folder and run the following command:
    gacutil /i Telerik.Web.Design.dll
  6. Navigate to the BIN40 folder and run the following command:
    gacutil /i Telerik.Web.Design.dll
  7. Start Visual Studio and load your project
  8. Use the Telerik -> RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX -> Upgrade Wizard menu item (Note: you would need to have the project active in the Solution Explorer)
  9. Select the newer version in the Assembly dropdown
  10. Follow the upgrade wizard. Visual Studio should get restarted due to the Toolbox update
  11. Load a page to check if the design time is working properly now.

Kind regards,
Erjan Gavalji
the Telerik team

Browse the vast support resources we have to jump start your development with RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX. See how to integrate our AJAX controls seamlessly in SharePoint 2007/2010 visiting our common SharePoint portal.

Mick
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 28 Apr 2011, 02:34 PM
Thanks for your swift reply Erjan

I am sorry to report This did not work - I have tried it on other projects too and no joy.
I followed the instructions as outlined exactly and no joy.

i simply reverted the 2010 dll's in the bin folder?
The upgrade wizard did report a succesfull upgrade though.

I have looked in the bin folder and the old telerik dll's art stil in there however it did update the xml doc?
I manually copied the new 2011 dll's into the bin folder and there is still no joy in the design time view?

Have you any other thoughts?
Mick
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 28 Apr 2011, 02:59 PM
After more investigation I have discovered the following point.

When I initially loaded the project it showed the error message against the rad controls on the page.

If I do the folloiwng to the project this seems to sort it though.

1. do the steps as outlined in your respone above erjan
2. Manually copy the telerik.web.ui.dll over the top of the old version that is still there.
3. Drag any radcontrol onto one of the offending pages in design view.
4. goto code view and delete it in code.
5. Ctrl S
6. look again in design view and all the rad controlds appear properly again.
7. If I now look at any of the other offending pages these have also now been fixed.

It appears that updating just one of the pages has fixed all the pages in the project.
This will make life a lot easier than having to update each page in the application.

The Junior programmer is overcome with happiness and has expressed his personnal thanks as well as mine Erjan
Although he will have to do this to all the projets he his still happy.

Thanks for your help Erjan.
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
answered on 28 Apr 2011, 03:56 PM
Hi Mick,

Good to know that works now.

In an attempt to help avoid updating all the projects, can you try the following too (after the UpgradeWizard run in the steps I suggested earlier)?

1. Rebuild the project (this should automatically replace the assemblies in the BIN folder, unless they are read-only for some reason);
  2. Close Visual Studio, start a Windows Explorer and navigate to the %localappdata%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\ProjectAssemblies folder (this folder contains temporary copies of all the assemblies Visual Studio has loaded and sometimes it causes the design-time error);
  3. Delete all the subfolders there;
  4. Start Visual Studio, load your project and check if design mode okay.

Kind regards,
Erjan Gavalji
the Telerik team

Browse the vast support resources we have to jump start your development with RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX. See how to integrate our AJAX controls seamlessly in SharePoint 2007/2010 visiting our common SharePoint portal.

Tags
Installer and VS Extensions
Asked by
Mick
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
Mick
Top achievements
Rank 1