This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Error creating control in VS2008 SP1

6 Answers 108 Views
Installer and VS Extensions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
John Emmatty
Top achievements
Rank 1
John Emmatty asked on 28 Mar 2010, 05:07 PM
Hi,
I am getting the infamous error creating control in the design view of VS 2008 SP1. I was using radGrid control.

I have copied the telerik.web.dll to the following locations

1.[Visual_Studio_Install_Dir]\Common7\IDE\
2.[Visual_Studio_Install_Dir]\Common7\IDE\Public Assemblies
3.[Visual_Studio_Install_Dir]\Common7\IDE\Private Assemblies
4.GAC

I have cleared c:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\9.0\ProjectAssemblies

My OS is  Windows Vista 32bit

Please tell me a way to solve this issue.

Regards,
John

6 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
answered on 29 Mar 2010, 10:42 AM
Hi John,

Did you use the RadControls installer, or did you use the zip file to get RadControls v.2010.1.309?
If you used the installer, you should have the design-time assembly (Telerik.Web.Design) in the GAC. In that case, if you have Visual Studio 2008 SP1 installed, you should not face problems with the design time. I would suggest that you remove the Telerik.Web.UI assembly from the folders you listed.

If you've used the zip file instead, mys suggestion is that you use Windows Explorer to copy the Telerik.Web.Design assembly to the project BIN. Please don't add a reference to the Telerik.Web.Design assembly, but just copy it to the BIN. Please, remove the Telerik.Web.UI assembly from the [VisualStudio] folders, as these could themselves lead to broken design time.

Kind regards,
Erjan Gavalji
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items.
John Emmatty
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 29 Mar 2010, 11:04 AM
Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
My version of telerik.web.ui.dll is 2009.3.1208.35. Does this version have a seperate Telerik..web.design.dll? If so i am missing that dll in the GAC.

Regards,
John.
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
answered on 29 Mar 2010, 11:19 AM
Hi John,

Yes, every RadControls release since Q1 2009 contains a design-time counterpart (Telerik.Web.Design) of the main assembly (Telerik.Web.UI). If the installer used, the Telerik.Web.Design assembly is automatically being added to the GAC. If the release is retrieved through an auto-update in the Upgrade Wizard, the Telerik.Web.Design assembly is being added to the project BIN by the wizard.

Did you use the installer of the Q3 2009 SP1 release (2009.3.1208.xx)?

Kind regards,
Erjan Gavalji
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items.
John Emmatty
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 01 Apr 2010, 07:17 AM
Hi,
The problem solved it is because of the telerik.web.design.dll's abscence.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
John
cwk
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 06 Apr 2010, 11:09 AM
Hi, I just renew my subscription and downloaded the latest asp.net ajax. I have previous version running well with my current applications. 2 problems I encountered.

1. I am using vs2005 and found that I cannot compile the live demo anymore. Any advice? or I have to upgrade to vs2008?

2. Then I faced error creating control in the design page, but the application still can run. I am afraid to reset the toolbox in VS2005 as I am supporting some applications using older telerik version. Is there a way to test new controls for new application developed before I upgrade all to newer version?

Thanks.
cwk
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
answered on 06 Apr 2010, 04:52 PM
Hi cwk,

The RadControls installer extracts a Live Demos solution for VS2005 if only VS2005 detected. It installs the Live Demos for .NET Framework 3.5 if Visual Studio 2008 detected though. Is it that you've installed Visual Studio 2008 after between the previous installation and the latest one?
You could still use the .NET 2.0 -specific code in Live Demos 3.5.

I suggest that you upgrade to Visual Studio 2008/.NET Framework 2.0 though, as the benefits of using Linq and the other additions in .NET Framework 3.5 really help improve the applications (as a side benefit, RadGrid's performance with lots of records gets much better).

As per the design time error, this should actually not happen in Visual Studio 2005 unless when you drag-and-drop a toolbox item from the new RadControls distribution and you get both the Telerik.Web.UI assemblies loaded in the AppDomain. Can you close all the Visual Studio instances and load the application again? This should fix the design time error.

Kind regards,
Erjan Gavalji
the Telerik team

Tags
Installer and VS Extensions
Asked by
John Emmatty
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
John Emmatty
Top achievements
Rank 1