This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Drag and Drop into Source Window no longer works after upgrading Visual Studio 2008

5 Answers 85 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Jason
Top achievements
Rank 1
Jason asked on 09 Jul 2012, 06:47 AM
Hi,

Not sure if this is the best place, however I have had a problem I can't resolve and need assistence.

I used the upgrade toolbox Telerik tool as part of the upgrade, Now I can only drag controls (including standard VS controls) into the design window.

I hardly ever work here and tend to drop controls straight into the Source window, so this is frustrating.

Any assistence appreciated!

Jason

5 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Petar
Telerik team
answered on 11 Jul 2012, 11:13 AM
Hello Jason,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing troubles when using the RadControls in Visual Studio.

From what you have described it is not clear what is the exact problem that you have encountered. Can you give us some more details regarding the issue on your side? Can you specify what Visual Studio upgrade you have performed? A screenshot that demonstrates the issue would be helpful too.

I hope that we will be able to identify the reason for the problem and provide you with solution quick.

Kind regards,
Petar
the Telerik team
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now.
Jason
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 12 Jul 2012, 02:49 AM
Hi,

Steps to reproduce (in my environment anyway are)

1. Select and hold mouse over toolbox control (i.e. asp.net checkbox)
2. Drag control across to source window
3. No Entry mouse pointer displayed preventing the drop of a control into a point in your code

This has always worked until I updated the toolbox using the Telerik wizard.

For your info too, the last two upgrades I ran resulted in an error in asp.net creating the design file. I might log this seperately but the upgrade path has been painfull every time.

Image attached for the above issue for clarity.
Petar
Telerik team
answered on 17 Jul 2012, 11:43 AM
Hello Jason,

I suggest you to try resetting the Toolbox (right-click Toolbox and select ' Reset Toolbox').

If it doesn't help then can you try whether the same behaviour is observed when the project has Telerik references or doesn't have Telerik references? The reason why I am asking is that it is really strange that the standard non-Telerik controls don't work too.

All the best,
Petar
the Telerik team
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now.
Jason
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 18 Jul 2012, 12:09 AM
Hmm, tried all that before completely uninstalling and re-installing.

I ran originally the upgrade using the Telerik installer, I then had two sets of references in my toolbox, old version and new.

After this I ran the Toolbox upgrade wizard (can't remember it's name) from the Telerik menu.

When closing VS to restart it, it came up with a progress window stating something about updating the help or library (again I can't remember specifically).

It ran forever, and also did the same thing the second time I closed VS - strange behaviour.

Hmm - still stuck.

Jason
Petar
Telerik team
answered on 19 Jul 2012, 08:41 AM
Hi Jason,

Thank you for the details.

Unfortunately I am still not able to identify what is causing the issue. This is an issue that we haven't met before. I can only suggest you a generic approach that should fix the Toolbox behaviour. The Toolbox registration of the Telerik components is done using the ToolboxControlsInstaller package which is built-in Visual Studio. It is possible that this package is corrupted for some reason. Thus I suggest you to try repairing your Visual Studio installation. After that I recommend reinstalling the latest RadControls.

I hope this will resolve the issue on your side.

Greetings,
Petar
the Telerik team
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Jason
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Petar
Telerik team
Jason
Top achievements
Rank 1