This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Document Manager with 1000+ files

4 Answers 79 Views
Editor
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Hans
Top achievements
Rank 2
Hans asked on 07 Dec 2009, 10:46 AM
Hi all.

I have a document manager that needs to display a folder containing 2000 files in the root. Furthermore, there are about 25 subfolders containing an additional 1000 files. (Currently using 2009.1.402.20). Currently only Chrome will eventually display the entire structure. All other browsers will time-out or freeze.

I've found two related threads on this:

1. An older one that states the document manager is designed for 200-300 files. It recommends to change the structure and so on. Unfortunately this is not something we can control.

2. The newer one states that since 2009.1.527.35 there is a paging option in the file/document manager, which would speed up the rendering.

I'll try to upgrade and see what happens, but my question is on the paging. I could not find any info on this in the docs. Is it turned on by default ? How can I control this feature ? Where can I find more info on this ?

Added a screenshot from the IE8 profiler, which identifies the dataBind function as the main cause for the delay. Apparantly this is the main issue on IE, because chrome and safari take 30 secs - 1 min, but finish without problems. Firefox shows a dialog with a script warning (very soon in my opinion), but then finishes rather quickly.

Regards, Hans

4 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Hans
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 08 Dec 2009, 12:23 PM
I have found references to AllowPaging. However, still have not found a code example which shows me how to set this property in a dynamically created radeditor. Can you provide a small example to get me started ? Am currently using version 2009.3.1103.20 and I think it defaults to 100 items in a page. How can I control this number ?  
Fiko
Telerik team
answered on 08 Dec 2009, 02:57 PM
Hi Hans,

You can avoid the delay by using the following approaches:

• Set ExplorerMode="FileTree" property of the RadFileExplorer control. In this case only the TreeView control will be shown and will contain files and folders. This will improve the loading because the TreeView uses server side databinding compared to the grid control, that uses the slower client-side databinding. Please note that in this mode the suggested in the next bullet will not take effect.
  • Set the AllowPaging="true". This will enable paging when the files' count in the Grid (embedded in the RadFileExplorer) exceed 100.
  • Also you need to set the debug="false" property in the web.config file:
    <compilation debug="false">
All of the above properties need to be set to the RadFileExplorer control (this control is used inside the image manager dialog). In order to do this you need to set the ExternalDialogPath property of the RadEditor control and edit the RadFileExplorer control located in the FileBrowser.ascx file(in the EditorDialogs folder).

I hope this helps.

Sincerely yours,
Fiko
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
Hans
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 08 Dec 2009, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the info. The File Tree is not an option at this time, because the root contains 2000 files. Perhaps if we re-educate the client, it will be good for use.

One question is still unanswered, can I change the paging to another value than 100 items, and if so how ?

A new question: how can I change the paging slider (layout) to something more intuitive for my client, perhaps a next/previous button ?
Accepted
Fiko
Telerik team
answered on 10 Dec 2009, 03:56 PM
Hi Hans,

Unfortunately the page size and PagerTemplate of the Grid embedded in the RadFileExplorer control cannot be changed. However, we will consider changing the behavior of the RadFileExplorer control in order to allow overriding of these properties.

Regards,

Fiko
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
Tags
Editor
Asked by
Hans
Top achievements
Rank 2
Answers by
Hans
Top achievements
Rank 2
Fiko
Telerik team