This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Custom Skin Issue with Q3 2012

7 Answers 105 Views
ComboBox
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Cradz
Top achievements
Rank 1
Cradz asked on 18 Oct 2012, 06:04 PM
-- Edit as I've fixed my issue.

http://www.telerik.com/community/forums/aspnet-ajax/combobox/possible-breaking-changes-2012-q3.aspx

If you are dealing with these breaking changes please note the following:

1) MyCustomSkin/ComboBox/rcbSprite.png and MyCustomSkin/ComboBox/rcbSpriteIE6.png appear to be no longer used.

2) MyCustomSkin/ComboBox.MyCustomSkin.css will need updating. I copied from a skin in the Skins install directory and renamed the file and searched and replaced the name of the skin inside of the file to my skin name.

3) New files have been added to the MyCustomSkin/Common folder: radFormSprite.png and radFormSpriteIE6.png. I copied from a skin in the install directory.

The attached files are from my older post when I was still trying to resolve my initial issue (it was my fault copying the wrong css file so ignore them).

7 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Cradz
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 18 Oct 2012, 06:34 PM
Aha!

It's the ComboBox.MyCustomSkin.css

I copied over the ComboBox.Office2007.css and renamed and now it's working. I must have copied the css from a skin folder I generated this morning from the Visual Style Builder and not from the install. Oops.

Please update the Visual Style Builder site soon please!
Accepted
Ivan Zhekov
Telerik team
answered on 19 Oct 2012, 07:51 AM
Hello, Lee.

The original sprites are included, should anyone would like to revert to the exact same look as before.

For the concise, but relevant "how-to" about the skin changes, I am awarding you some Telerik points, which you can see updated in your account profile.

I should also mention that we are preparing a blog post about this change, and we'll outline steps needed for successful skin migration / update.

Regards,
Ivan Zhekov
the Telerik team
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now.
Cradz
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 19 Oct 2012, 03:27 PM
"The original sprites are included, should anyone would like to revert to the exact same look as before."

Ah, ok that makes sense.

Thanks for the points!
Erin
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 06 Nov 2012, 09:45 PM
Sorry if I missed something very obvious, but how can we update items 2 and 3 on your list so that they still have custom skins?  The idea of a custom skin is to replace something like "ComboBox.Office2007.css" with a custom css file so that the colors are different.  Swapping the Office2007 skin back in would be counter-productive, wouldn't it?

Could someone from Telerik describe exactly what needs to be updated, since we can't use Visual Style Builder?

Thanks!
Cradz
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 07 Nov 2012, 01:03 AM
I copied the Office2007 version and tweaked the colors manually.

My custom skins aren't too far off the standard telerik skins. I have a "charcoal" skin that is pretty much the black skin but with a brown color instead of the green so I just run a search and replace.

For the sprite images I just open in my graphics program (in my case Adobe Fireworks) and change the colors.

This is not so easy if you're just using the style builder and don't have much experience with css and altering images.

Erin
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 07 Nov 2012, 03:33 AM
Thanks for the advice!  I had just used Paint.NET, rather than an Adobe program, but I might still be able to do the appropriate editing.

This might also be an obvious question:
How do you open up a CSS file from the Telerik.Web.UI.Skins assembly?
Cradz
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 07 Nov 2012, 03:58 AM
Look in your install folder for Telerik.

Mine is located at:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Telerik\RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX Q3 2012\Skins

If you're not using a 64bit os then it's probably in

C:\Program Files\Telerik\RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX Q3 2012\Skins

All the source css and image files are located there.

Tags
ComboBox
Asked by
Cradz
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Cradz
Top achievements
Rank 1
Ivan Zhekov
Telerik team