This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Custom Paging

3 Answers 70 Views
AutoCompleteBox
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Drew
Top achievements
Rank 1
Drew asked on 10 Aug 2012, 12:46 PM
Hello,

I am currently working on a project and we decided to use the AutoCompleteBox to help with a search utility on the web application.  The control is great but I have 2 questions about it.

1.  Is there a way to limit the search to when the user types 3 characters?  I think I saw an answer to this already but I want to be sure because if I can make it work after 3 characters are typed in the box it might fix the next problem.

2.  The control works great for small queries to the database, but it does not work well with large queries.  We have a mix of both in the application, some forms use a select statement for data, some have a stored procedure with paging.  In our grids we use custom paging with a stored procedure in the database, we have some that are normal paging and some that are the Google style where when you scroll it automatically pages, is there a way to achieve the same functionality in the AutoCompleteBox?  With having several thousand records, the item just hangs up after the first key is pressed for a minute or 2 before any results are populated.

Thanks for any help!

3 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Ivana
Telerik team
answered on 14 Aug 2012, 12:09 PM
Hello Drew,

The following help article answers to your first question: http://www.telerik.com/help/aspnet-ajax/autocompletebox-onclientrequesting.html.

As for your second statement, would you let us know whether this is somehow related to a specific browser, or the delay happens in more than one browser? Also, have you tried binding the RadAutoCompleteBox to a Web service?

Regards,
Ivana
the Telerik team
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now.
Vasssek
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 21 Aug 2012, 09:41 AM
Hello,

It seems that this control loads whole data from SQL server and after that it filters records based on users key value.
http://www.telerik.com/help/aspnet-ajax/autocompletebox-filtering.html

I wonder if there is option to use SQL select query with where and like with parameters... I mean something like Load-On-Demand mechanism as RadComboBox has.

Best regards

Vasssek
Kalina
Telerik team
answered on 22 Aug 2012, 11:42 AM
Hi Vasssek,

When user types in RadAutoCompleteBox - a request is performed and data that matches the text in control input is populated in the dropdown.

Currently the control has no “paging” logic like RadComboBox, but this would be a very useful feature for the RadAutoCompleteBox. We will definitely consider implementing this for the future releases.

Kind regards,
Kalina
the Telerik team
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now.
Tags
AutoCompleteBox
Asked by
Drew
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Ivana
Telerik team
Vasssek
Top achievements
Rank 1