This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Could not load file or assembly. VS2008 and Prom. 2007.31218

34 Answers 2091 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Alex
Top achievements
Rank 2
Alex asked on 19 Dec 2007, 05:46 AM
Hi. I have a new machine with a fresh install of Vista and VS2008. I just auto-installed Prometheus 2007.31218.

I start a new Web site in .NET Framework 3.5 and also manually add Telerik.Web.Design.dll from the Bin35 folder to my project's bin folder.

The Prometheus controls are already in the toolbox from auto-install, so I try to add them to a Web page. For some (RadMenu) I get a 'Failed to create designer' error. For others (RadGrid), I get Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Web.UI, Version=2007.3.1218.35'.

Perhaps there is a step that I overlooked? Please help.

34 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Iurii
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 19 Dec 2007, 06:11 PM
I am having exactly the same issue
Rainz
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 19 Dec 2007, 07:38 PM
Similar issue here.

Pages work fine, but the design view throws an error for each control I drag from the Prometheus toolbox (version 1218) in VS2008:

Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Web.UI, Version=2007.3.1218.35, culture=neutral................. dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Using VS 2008 and Vista.

Even tried adding Telerik.Web.Design.dll (from bin35 folder) to the project bin folder, restarted VS, but still getting the same error.
LFA
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 19 Dec 2007, 09:24 PM
I started getting this error today too. It was working yesterday. I have not changed anything in my configuration.
genesplitter
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 20 Dec 2007, 12:31 AM
Same issue here. I originally got this message when I first fired up VS 2008 and dragged over a Promethius GridView. I restarted VS 2008 and it went away and I was able to run the project with the gridview successfully. Later in the day I added a Promethius AjaxManager and LoadingPanel and I got the dreaded "Error Creating Control for the AjaxManager and System.IO.FileNotFoundException for the gridview (but not the LoadingPanel).

Since I manually dragged over Telerik.Web.UI.dll and Telerik.Web.Design.dll and Telerik.Web.UI.XML I know the lastest versions are in fact in the bin folder.

However I can compile and run the project just fine. Ajax works great too - go figure!

Restarting didn't help the second time around. Maybe a reboot?

Visual Studio 2008 and Windows 2003 Server.
Michael McCallum
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 20 Dec 2007, 02:10 AM
I also had this issue.  I tried many things with test projects in 3.5 .Net.  Non seemed to work.  I was successful in using RadControls in 3.5 projects, but not Prometheus.  I test various different things over the course of 4 hours, including full uninstalls of both Q2 and Q3 Prometheus. 

I finally hit on the answer, and it has to do with the GAC.  There are two versions of the Telerik.Web.Design installed in GAC, one appears to be for 2.0 and the other for 3.5.  The 2.0 seemed to work correctly in my test projects.  However the 3.5 designer would never load.  It appears that the 3.5 designer cannot find the Telerik.Web.UI.dll.  If however you installed Telerik.Web.UI into the GAC, then all is better.

Procedure to do that is:
  1. Use the VS 2008 Command Prompt.  If running Vista, right click the icon and run as Administrator.  This will get the directory for the gacutil program into the path statement.
  2. gacutil /i "C:\Program Files\Telerik\RadControls 'Prometheus' for ASPNET Q3 2007\Bin35\Telerik.Web.UI.dll"

You should get a confirmation that it is installed.

This was not previously required in Q2, having Telerik.Web.UI in GAC.  Not sure why it is now. 

You can list out GAC with gacutil /l > c:\temp\gacoutput.txt

Then you can review what was installed.  With both Q2 and Q3 installed, it should look like this (after the above fix):

Telerik.Charting, Version=1.6.2.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=d14f3dcc8e3e8763, processorArchitecture=MSIL
  Telerik.Charting, Version=1.7.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=d14f3dcc8e3e8763, processorArchitecture=MSIL
  Telerik.Web.Design, Version=2007.2.1107.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=121fae78165ba3d4, processorArchitecture=MSIL
  Telerik.Web.Design, Version=2007.3.1218.20, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=121fae78165ba3d4, processorArchitecture=MSIL
  Telerik.Web.Design, Version=2007.3.1218.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=121fae78165ba3d4, processorArchitecture=MSIL
  Telerik.Web.UI, Version=2007.3.1218.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=121fae78165ba3d4, processorArchitecture=MSIL

It is unfortunate that it took so long to figure out.  By the way this is with Visual Studio 2008 running on Vista (x86).

Hope this helps, Mike

Alex
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 20 Dec 2007, 05:29 AM
This solution worked for me. Thank you, Mike.
genesplitter
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 20 Dec 2007, 07:39 PM
Mike's solution worked for me too. I use Windows Server 2003 and VS 2008.
CSurieux
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 27 Dec 2007, 04:33 PM
Thanks Mike, it solved my problem.
Do you think we should install it in the cache on production environment ?
It is working but it could solve some othe problems with radPanel and TabStrip, I will try.

Happy new year.
Michael McCallum
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 27 Dec 2007, 08:12 PM
Christian,
I would not install it in GAC on the production server.  I would us it in the BIN directory of the web site. 

The issue related to GAC for development was so the designer knew how to find the DLL.

HTH,
Mike
Chris Rathermel
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 27 Dec 2007, 09:38 PM
If I was handing out telerik points I would toss Michael McCallum 1 million. 

Thanks,

Chris Rathermel
ThomasJ
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 05 Jan 2008, 12:49 AM
I second that
Roger
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Jan 2008, 09:07 AM
Worked for me as well.
Points to Michael. ;-)
Chuanbo
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 14 Jan 2008, 11:45 AM
now i find the root reason for this issue.
there are two version of dll both as 2007.3.1218,they are just difference for the last revision number.
'2007.3.1218.35' is just for .net framework 3.5
and '2007.3.1218.20' is just for .net framework 2.0 with ajax extension 1.0
by default, the installed version is 2007.3.1218.20 which just work with .net framework 20 together ajax extension 1.0.

i assume this is a bug of the telerik setup. the setup should determine the .net version of the enviroment and install the correct revision version of telerik
Goksun
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 17 Jan 2008, 11:10 PM
Hi All,

I've followed the steps but this didn't work for me. I've checked GAC and both versions are there. On the ascx file, it looks like version 3.5 is used.

<%

@ Register Assembly="Telerik.Web.UI, Version=2007.3.1314.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=121fae78165ba3d4"

Namespace="Telerik.Web.UI" TagPrefix="telerik" %>

This is pretty annoying. I want to see my page in design mode to make changes. One more thing, I didn't do an automatic installation. I've used the zip file. Maybe I am missing something there?

Thanks
Goksun

Helen
Telerik team
answered on 18 Jan 2008, 02:13 PM
Hi Alex,

We agree that this error is rally unacceptable. Our developers put lotс of efforts to avoid it, but they couldn't find an acceptable solution for the present which will not cause other problems. We created a temporary KB article regarding this problem http://www.telerik.com/support/kb/article/b454K-hab-b454T-cgt-b454c-cgt.aspx. Hope it will help you solve the problem.

Regards,
Helen
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions at the new Telerik Support Center
Goksun
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 18 Jan 2008, 10:10 PM
Hi Helen,

I've followed the article and it solved my problem. Thanks for the effort. Actually in case anyone is wondering what I've missed, I forgot to copy the dll in my project's bin folder. Once I did it, I was able to see the page in design view. 

Thanks
Goksun 
KevinMc
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 23 Jan 2008, 03:48 AM
The knowledgebase article claims this only applies to .net 3.5 but i am also experiencing it in vs 2008 on a site that is targeted to .net 2.0. Do i need to put the telerik.web.ui from the .net 2.0 directory in the gac?
Helen
Telerik team
answered on 23 Jan 2008, 11:59 AM
Hi Kevin,

Could you check what the exact version of Telerik.Web.UI.dll is that you are using(right click on the dll to show the properties from windows explorer)? If it is .net2.0 dll- the version should be 2007.3.1314.20, if it is .net 3.5 - it should be 2007.3.1314.35. Since we didn't reproduce the problem with the .net2.0 version of the dll we are not sure what is the cause of your problem. If you are using the .net2.0 dll of the Telerik.Web.UI you can try placing it in the GAC.

Greetings,
Helen
the Telerik team

KevinMc
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 23 Jan 2008, 02:49 PM
In my projects bin folder i have:
         telerik.web.design.dll    2007.3.1314.20
         telerik.web.ui.dll           2007.3.1314.20

In my gac i have:
        telerik.web.design.dll    2007.3.1314.20
        telerik.web.design.dll    2007.3.1314.35

Neither version of the telerik.web.ui.dll is in the gac currently. I will try putting the .20 ui in the gac and see what happens. Funny thing is this worked after i installed the latest prometheus tools. I think it stopped working after my first system reboot.
KevinMc
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 23 Jan 2008, 03:33 PM
I cannot install the .20 Ui dll in the gac. It says assembly cache viewer - install failed Access Is Denied: 'Telerik.Web.UI.Dll'. I am running the explorer instance as administrator( i.e. i right clicked explorer and selected run as administrator) so i think it should not be a privelage issue?
Timothy Lee Russell
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 29 Jan 2008, 04:05 AM
Thanks Michael!

Timothy
http://www.anatone.net
Helen
Telerik team
answered on 29 Jan 2008, 02:28 PM
Hi Kevin,

Could you try to install the Telerik.Web.UI.dll .net2.0 version into GAC with the gacutil? Detailed steps how you can find here: http://www.telerik.com/support/kb/article/b454K-cgk-b454T-a-b454c-a.aspx.

If you still experience the same problem could you please send us a screenshot of the exact design-time error? It will help us investigate the problem further.

Regards,
Helen
the Telerik team

KevinMc
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 29 Jan 2008, 03:32 PM
A+ that works. I now have design mode! One small note... you might want to update the adding controls with gacutil to have an instruction for launching the vs command shell with administrator privileges. Right click run as admin...

Thanks for the help!!!!
Kevin
Peter
Telerik team
answered on 29 Jan 2008, 04:14 PM
Hello Kevin,

We are glad we were able to help you solve the problem. Also, thank you for the feedback on KB #901. It is now updated as per your suggestion.

All the best,
Peter
the Telerik team

dhlennon
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 02 Feb 2008, 07:31 PM
can you give step-by-step instructions to those of us unfamiliar with the GAC please.
Helen
Telerik team
answered on 04 Feb 2008, 09:09 AM
Hi David,

As I sent in this forum post previously here are the detailed steps how to use the GAC: http://www.telerik.com/support/kb/article/b454K-cgk-b454T-a-b454c-a.aspx. If this doesn't help, could you please tell us what exactly the problem is that you have experienced? We will be glad to help.

Regards,
Helen
the Telerik team

drgorin
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 04 Feb 2008, 01:54 PM

Stop the clock.   Please stop the clock.

I have 202 days of support left and cherish everyday since I am a solo developer and find the Telerik product and its associated support cost a luxury.  With that said permit me to vent.

I am respectfully requesting that my comments be reviewed by all Telerik customers, Telerik corporate administrators, and tech support engineers.

I have a new computer running Windows Vista Business.  I have a fresh install of Visual Studio 2008.  I installed the latest versions of Radcontrols and Prometheus and find that I am experiencing everything that all of the other messages to this thread reveal.

This is grossly unfair.  Providing your clients with KB articles and expecting them to spend hours attempting to install your product on their dime is just not OK.  Even Microsoft provides free phone based install-assistance when a product refuses to setup properly.

I call upon all of my fellow developers to plead with Telerik to provide us with a product that installs properly in Visual Studio 2008 on computers hosting OS = Vista Business.

Our time is no less valuable than the creative genius at Telerik and I know I have spent far too much time attempting to get RadControls and Prometheus installed onto my new computer.

Please provide your customers with a product that installs right out of the box.  Our customers expect it from us and I know you should be held to the same standard.

In closing, many of us have VS 200(5) projects that include RadControls and Prometheus.  We need a way to bring these projects over to VS 2008, on computers running vista business,  without reading KB articles and struggling with the forums.  We also need an install than permits new projects built in VS 2008 to function immediately after the install without any annoyances of GAC, etc.

Thank you for you anticipated cooperation regarding this matter. And…  how about stopping all of the “support days left” clocks until you provide us with an update that addresses these issues.

drGorin

drgorin@gorinortho.com 

a
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 05 Feb 2008, 07:24 AM
I agree, I think there have been enough people with this same problem to warrant at least a specific tutorial on how to fix this problem.  I would really love to use these controls in an upcoming project but will have a hard time shelling out $$$$ for several developers licenses if I can't even get the thing installed.

Telerik... Please provide a solution to this problem.  A step by step guide that explains it all and how to fix it.
dhlennon
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 05 Feb 2008, 11:13 AM
If you only have VWD 2008 Express installed there is not an obvious or easy way to access GACUTIL as I have painfully discovered.

If you are targetting 3.5 though, just drag and drop the web.ui dll into the windows\assembly directory and you should be fine (there is no machine.config to edit in 3.5)
Ivo
Telerik team
answered on 07 Feb 2008, 12:49 PM
Hi all,

Thank you for all your feedback -- we have been working on improving the install experience under Vista as well as the design-time in Visual Studio 2008.

I am happy to let you know that we have addressed all reported issues and things are much better now. We are currently running thorough QA on the internal build and it will be available for download with the scheduled SP2 in the last week of February.

If any of you is willing to try the build even before the Service Pack release please send us a support message

All the best,
Ivo
the Telerik team

Rick Glos
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 19 Feb 2008, 11:14 PM
Thanks Mike for your work.  Fixed my issue as well.
Chris
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 20 Mar 2009, 10:42 AM
The Forums warns me: "This is an old post and the information may be outdated. "

Its a surprise then that I have just had to use Mike's fix on the latest version, and its March 2009, two years on - its still an issue! (Fix still works though!)
Sebastian
Telerik team
answered on 20 Mar 2009, 10:44 AM
Hello Chris,

Please review the following online resources which elaborate on why the Telerik.Web.Design.dll has been separated from the Telerik.Web.UI.dll again and how to perform troubleshooting when encountering designer errors:

http://blogs.telerik.com/atanaskorchev/posts/09-03-06/Meet_Telerik_Web_Design_dll.aspx
http://www.telerik.com/help/aspnet-ajax/troubleshooting.html (the bottom section of the article)

Best regards,
Sebastian
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Check out the tips for optimizing your support resource searches.
Craig Morgan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 17 Nov 2009, 05:48 PM
Thanks!!!

Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Alex
Top achievements
Rank 2
Answers by